[mod request] Less Cleanliness impact on Impressiveness

Started by BlueWinds, October 03, 2016, 07:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueWinds

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Room_stats#Impressiveness

As is, room impressiveness is heavily weighted towards the lowest of the four factors (wealth, beauty, space, impressiveness). In effect this makes Sterile floors almost mandatory for creating an impressive room. I'd like a mod that removes cleanliness from the second term, so that cleanliness is only ever weighted at 1/8th, rather than usually at 5/8ths.

I think this would make a wide variety of tiles more useful for rec rooms / bedrooms. Sterile floors are fine in the hospital, but I want to carpet my pawn's bedrooms, not turn everything white. :)

Current:
100[(Wm + Bm + Sm + Cm)/4 + min(Wm, Bm, Sm, Cm)]/2

Modded:
100[(Wm + Bm + Sm + Cm)/4 + min(Wm, Bm, Sm)]/2

Dingo

Do these maths even check out? The part about 5/8ths and 1/8th doesn't seem correct but I might just be tired.

What this formula does in words is:
* Average 4 factors (wealth, beauty, space, cleanliness divided by different values) = X
* The lowest factor of those 4 = Y
* Average X and Y
*Multiply that average by 100 = impressiveness score

If you take out cleanliness from Y it only impacts impressiveness if the cleanliness factor was the lowest.

BlueWinds

Dingo: Yes, you're right, only the lowest factor impacts the calculation 5/8ths. You also made me re-examine my assumptions and check some actual buildings, so good questions, and should have done that before I posted.

They check out under some conditions, but not as widely as I was thinking. Playing around with God Mode, I found some things:
1) Getting wealth high is very, very easy.
2) Getting both beauty and spaciousness high at the same time is quite difficult, and high beauty in particular seems more difficult than I was remembering. This is the challenge in getting rooms up to "impressive."
3) Sterile floors are better for rooms with more than 6 beauty and more than 125 space. Otherwise, you'll be better off with a more beautiful floor.

So... going for "Impressive"? Pick carpet, or even better, smoothed stone. Going for "Wonder of the World"? Sterile tiles are an absolute must (also if you can't keep the room 100% clean all the time, so they get better heavily trafficked areas).