Wiki needs updating!

Started by HatesYourFace, August 13, 2014, 08:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZestyLemons

Sticky would be nice, but we need an updated OP kind badly.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Tynan

Sticky is a good idea.

There are tons of new players coming on board so any wiki additions we could get would be immensely useful.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

longbyte1

People need me... gotta get out of my forum grave quickly...

HatesYourFace

Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 02, 2015, 09:39:30 PM
Sticky would be nice, but we need an updated OP kind badly.

OP here, Couldn't post in my own thread for awhile because of some forum bug lol. I'm not even sure if it's going to work this time so if your reading this, Huzzah!

Anyways...let me know what you want on the front page Zesty and I'll be more then happy to put it up for you!

EDIT: Hey, it worked!
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

SubZeroBricks

Hey I did this a while back but I feel I should make it clear that I've added to the wiki!
Bear in mind there is formatting on the wiki that is not here :)

Unwanted Prisoners

There are many ways to 'get rid of' unwanted prisoners.

Organ removal*
You must remove organs in the order:
1. Left/Right Liver
2. Left/Right Lung
3. Any other organ now, they will all kill the detainee and sell for similar prices

(Either lung or liver in any order just not both of the same organ)
Starvation

Set 'gets food' to the false x and wait

Selling To Slaver*
If combined with organ removal this gets you the most silver

Heat Or Cool Room To Hostile Temperature
"Would you rather burn to death or freeze to death ;)"
Execution*
The execution in the prisoner interaction menu allows this.
Release

Can be the best option as you get free goodwill with no negative colonist effects
*Has a negative impact on one or more of your colonists

http://rimworldwiki.com/index.php?title=Prisoner&oldid=30564

If any of this is wrong obviously feel free to change (Duh it's a wiki), but would be nice if you said because I don't want to go around knowing the wrong stuff! :D
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

TheNewTeddy

Hi, I'm Teddy! I love wikis and use them quite a bit, but am also handy at editing them.

I'd like to help, but as a n00b I don't know most of the answers. I'm curious what I can do.

In particular, I'm wondering if it would make sense to post in this thread; or in another thread, some questions. I don't need the answers themselves, especially if complicated, but if someone could point me to the answers, that would be great.

Example:
"Hey, so I was wondering what the formula for deciding exactly which animal will go nuts is"
"I remember someone looking at that in a thread, I think it was started by user sk8rha8r"
hence now I can find the information by doing a quick search for a username.
sig

milon

A search of this thread didn't yield anything relevant, but I haven't read through all 16 pages of it.  So here's my idea, and I apologize if this has already been brought up.

What about using Categories in the wiki to track what's up to date and what's obsolete?

For example, we could categorize pages as "Alpha 8" or "Alpha 9" or "Obsolete".  The idea is to make it easy to see if the pages are up to date.  That way, when Alpha 10 comes out, I may notice that a page on growing food is only up-to-date for Alpha 9 and I can either verify or update the page.

Thoughts?

Also, I've just spent some time updating the Melee Weapons, but I didn't update any checklist or anything you've got going here.  Please correct anything I goofed!

ZestyLemons

Quote from: milon on February 04, 2015, 12:07:33 PM
A search of this thread didn't yield anything relevant, but I haven't read through all 16 pages of it.  So here's my idea, and I apologize if this has already been brought up.

What about using Categories in the wiki to track what's up to date and what's obsolete?

For example, we could categorize pages as "Alpha 8" or "Alpha 9" or "Obsolete".  The idea is to make it easy to see if the pages are up to date.  That way, when Alpha 10 comes out, I may notice that a page on growing food is only up-to-date for Alpha 9 and I can either verify or update the page.

Thoughts?

Also, I've just spent some time updating the Melee Weapons, but I didn't update any checklist or anything you've got going here.  Please correct anything I goofed!

Go for it, thought it might be easier to do a 'Current Alpha' or something like that category rather than update every single page every alpha.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

milon

If it's tagged as 'Current Alpha' when the next release comes out, it may look current even though it's not.  My idea is to have a simple way to identify on the wiki page itself if it's current or not.  This isn't necessarily the best way to do it, but it's the best way that I can think of.  I'd love to hear other/better ideas before I attempt this.

EDIT - I especially am in favor of an on-wiki approach since post #1 hasn't been updated for 5 or 6 months now.  Is there even a To Do list on the wiki?

Boboid

From what I've seen almost every page needs to be changed in one way or another, I may have to learn how to format everything correctly -something I'm rather loathe to do - in order to help out, I don't think just whipping Milon with information blobs is going to cut it :P

Alpha 9 is going to be a bit of a doozy for the wiki too..
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

HatesYourFace

Quote from: milon on February 04, 2015, 10:02:37 PM
EDIT - I especially am in favor of an on-wiki approach since post #1 hasn't been updated for 5 or 6 months now.  Is there even a To Do list on the wiki?

The To-Do list being moved to the wiki is basically why it isn't updated anymore.
Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 13, 2014, 08:08:10 AM
UPDATE: This list is pretty much abandoned now as we have multiple people working and it's too much to keep up with, but I've decided to leave it for posterity. If you want to help/contribute you can ask in this thread or just dive right in! The To-Do list is now being kept on the Wiki to make updating it easier: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/RimWorld_Wiki:To-do.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

milon

Thanks!  I did search on the wiki for one before posting my comment, and nothing turned up.  I may not have been the only one unaware, so I added a link from the Main Page to the To Do list.  :)
(Much easier than categorizing & recategorizing every page, me thinks!)

longbyte1

Quote from: milon on February 04, 2015, 10:02:37 PM
If it's tagged as 'Current Alpha' when the next release comes out, it may look current even though it's not.  My idea is to have a simple way to identify on the wiki page itself if it's current or not.  This isn't necessarily the best way to do it, but it's the best way that I can think of.  I'd love to hear other/better ideas before I attempt this.

There's an easy way to do this. All you have to do is mark Category:Alpha 8 as part of Category:Current version, and then the rest of the alphas can be placed under Category:Unreliable, so all of those pages are also marked as containing "deprecated" or "obsolete" information.

When a reviewer can certify that a version-dependent page is correct for the current version, he can simply change the page's category to the current alpha version (e.g. Category:Alpha 8).

Tynan

Just a quick reminder - the wiki is there and begging for some Alpha 9 love.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Latta

Page creation still blocked? I can't upload missing images because of this.