Show us your colony [Mega Thread]

Started by Celthric Aysen, April 06, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasikabatrachus

Here's my latest: Little Dhaka.

http://puu.sh/8bNmM.png

The day is 107. The picture you see now is the colony in the aftermath of a large raid. The Irgo Polema tribe came in at night from the south-west and attacked immediately. As narrow as it is, the open entrance to that part of the map did little to slow their advance. The raiders rushed our defense, incapacitating three and forcing those still standing to retreat. Two colonists died as a result of their wounds, and the Irgo Polema chief, Polar Bear, who had been our captive for some time, escaped.

The large building on the north edge of the colony was originally devoted to hydroponic farming, but it proved too labor intensive, so now it just serves as a convenient warehouse for the immense amount of corpses generated by the raids. Honestly, the leftover bodies are the worst part of the raids. I wish we could put them in piles to burn them.

At this point, I'm just surprised the colony is still alive. I thought I chose Tough Cleopatra, but I don't think it would exist if it were on Cleo.

Dealing with the factions has been kind of interesting, but not very. I managed to alienate the only friendly faction, Hamlet-at-the-forest (love that name), by taking one of their people as a prisoner. Before that, they were the only group that passed by at all; now they don't.

Ender

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on April 16, 2014, 10:38:00 PM

that's quite the sad story i must admit. But you do know about Molotov's right? burn the bodies with alcohol!   
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Dr. Z

Quote from: Captain Scott on April 16, 2014, 07:39:53 PM
I didn't feel like tunneling when I started; however, the whole upper part of the map is basically tunneled out (1 year in game).

That's a really impressive base, and a really imoressive time. Which storyteller do you play with?
But you will have a problem in Alpha 3 (if the base is still standing), because the raiders won't rush all to you front door anymorem but will lit the wall on fire at many different places if you have metal walls.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Zerkuran

Quote from: Dr. Z on April 17, 2014, 06:32:55 AM
Quote from: Captain Scott on April 16, 2014, 07:39:53 PM
I didn't feel like tunneling when I started; however, the whole upper part of the map is basically tunneled out (1 year in game).

That's a really impressive base, and a really imoressive time. Which storyteller do you play with?
But you will have a problem in Alpha 3 (if the base is still standing), because the raiders won't rush all to you front door anymorem but will lit the wall on fire at many different places if you have metal walls.

So they really are doing this with metal walls? So far I built nearly only with brick walls because I have better use for metal.

Nasikabatrachus

Quote from: Ender on April 17, 2014, 06:13:00 AM
Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on April 16, 2014, 10:38:00 PM

that's quite the sad story i must admit. But you do know about Molotov's right? burn the bodies with alcohol!

Yeah, but with these extra-large tribal zerg rush raids there are just so many bodies that finding time to burn them all regularly in between the regular rebuilding, cleaning, and successive raids can be difficult. Overall I think it would make more sense and be more practical if corpses could be thrown into, say, 5x5 tile piles which could stack multiple bodies. All those bodies add up to a fair amount of horizontal space, which makes clearing them more time consuming than it might be.

Nasikabatrachus

Here's Little Dhaka again at day 159. I'm going for a "Redwall" approach now:

http://puu.sh/8d2ba.png

I was hesitant to try the walling-off strategy because it feels cheap, but I just tried it on the last raid and it worked marvelously. Multiple attackers suffered mental breaks and I managed to capture two of them. The next step is to make the walls double thick so that the defenders don't have to run around repairing everything while the attackers scratch the surface of our defenses. Making a sortie against the enemy is as simple as deconstructing walls, which can even be done while the game is paused. Hopefully the next release will mix things up with artillery.

Before this I tried making fire-trap gatehouses. These gatehouses have floors lined with power conduits, which are flammable, in order to use fire to either damage raiders trying to break down the interior doors or to simply prevent them from pathing into the base. It's fun to use fire as a defense, but the plan went awry during the raid before last, resulting in the death of one and the incapacitation of two.

DarkMyau

Here is my Alpha 3 Colony Macross

I loved Robotech, so name every city I make Macross lol.

This is the North Half of the map.

And this is the South. Its still a work in progress. But I am getting there.

I love the way the stock piles look.

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

DarkMyau

Yeah. I wanted to see just how big it will get.

db48x

Fairly compact. Some mods; one of them seems to have broken hydroponics so I have to harvest berries from outside. Luckily there are lots of them.

db48x

Quote from: Monkfish on April 14, 2014, 06:27:39 PMCloseup of the kitchen and dining area.

I like the way you did the hydroponics area, even if that is a lot of power used for the doors.

Ender

@torgaddon a really well layed out base i must say. though my destructionist side makes me want to see what heppens when a couple raiders get in that big juicy battery room!
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Sion

I see that lots of people use huge fields of graves, but I have never understood why you would do that, can anyone explain?

I always designate a 5x5 body-dumping area under a roof with a Molotov nearby.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

DarkMyau

Quote from: Sion on April 18, 2014, 04:40:37 PM
I see that lots of people use huge fields of graves, but I have never understood why you would do that, can anyone explain?

I always designate a 5x5 body-dumping area under a roof with a Molotov nearby.

Yeah I saw those little cremation rooms.

But I liked the idea of raiders having to cross a field of their own dead to get at me.

And this colony that I posted is on Randy Random, so I have over 50 colonists. And they can build thing really quickly. So setting up 30 graves is a one minute thing. Unlike a Cassandra game where its just not practical.

Monkfish

I use graves as a tally of how many have died. I mark colonist graves with a plant pot.
<insert witty signature here>