From what Alpha did you first start the game?

Started by A Friend, May 29, 2017, 05:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From what Alpha did you first start the game?

A17
0 (0%)
A16
9 (6.6%)
A15
19 (14%)
A14
10 (7.4%)
A13
12 (8.8%)
A12
10 (7.4%)
A11
3 (2.2%)
A10
3 (2.2%)
A9
3 (2.2%)
A8
6 (4.4%)
A7
6 (4.4%)
A6
11 (8.1%)
A5
4 (2.9%)
A4
7 (5.1%)
A3
5 (3.7%)
A2
0 (0%)
A1
7 (5.1%)
Pre-Alpha
21 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 136

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on May 30, 2017, 12:36:17 PM
Could we have the release dates of those versions?  I made my account here prolly at the same time and ive been a member since June 17, 2014 so whatever that alpha was.

Looks like between Alpha4 and Alpha5 with those dates.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version_history#Complete_Version_List

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on May 30, 2017, 12:41:10 PM
Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on May 30, 2017, 12:36:17 PM
Could we have the release dates of those versions?  I made my account here prolly at the same time and ive been a member since June 17, 2014 so whatever that alpha was.

Looks like between Alpha4 and Alpha5 with those dates.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version_history#Complete_Version_List

Thanks!  It was A4 because I remember there being an update not long after I got it.

ShadowTani

*gasp* Are you trying to make me feel old? D: Well, I actually got into Rimworld during Alpha 1. I skip a version now and then, but it's one of the few games I keep coming back to.

XeoNovaDan

Since A15 here, I can't even remember how my first colony went... wrong is all I remember.

BlackSmokeDMax

I'm surprised there aren't a ton more A14 responses. Guess most who bought from there probably won't make the trek to a forum off Steam.

O Negative

A6 here. I saw a YouTuber playing it and absolutely fell in love with the health system. RimWorld has sucked at least 1000 hours from my productive life.

I regret nothing.

KeenKrozzy

I seen it on Kickstarter years ago. I didn't support it then but, I remember thinking "This could be amazing or a mess." I forgot all about it until I stumbled on a rimworld video on Youtube. Bought it during A14. I have since bought it 4 times. This game still amazes me. And it still amazes me that you developed this from a school project.

Every once in a great while, we get to see a game born out of pure passion. Tynan; You had an idea and you went with it. You listen to feedback however, you don't let feedback ruin the "vision". You don't make changes to try and make every demographic happy in an attempt to sell the most copies. You don't spend valuable resources trying to fight piracy. You don't spend energy thinking of ways to add downloadable content for a few extra bucks. Instead you have gave us the opportunity to be part of the game itself. You have harnessed the power of modding and you let the community support itself.

Please don't change. The gaming community needs people like you now more than ever.

Jstank

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

makkenhoff

It was right after A13's release, but I had been watching it with interest since before A9, being that I don't have much of a disposable income. A friend in Space Station 13 had pointed it out to me. At the time, I was interested/invested in Project Zomboid, Neo Scavenger, Dwarf Fortress, and Kerbal Space Program. I still boot up KSP and Dwarf Fortress now and again - I think I'll always be shuffling between Project Zomboid, Neo Scavenger, and RimWorld though. Different enough games that I can find them enjoyable at different levels of alertness, but I think RimWorld excites me the most for the story opportunities.

ehkodiak

Alpha 4 or 5 for me, got the name in the game edition back then. I've got a few other people into the game since then too and I'm so glad it's absolutely BLOWN UP since it got onto Steam, and that Tynan hasn't taken his millions and done a runner, heh!

erdrik

I started before the Steam release, and never deleted any of the updates I downloaded. So according to the archive folder I started with Alpha4f.

top_hat_tomato

I would have guessed A7 or something, but my first email with Tynan was in 2013... Wow, It's hard to believe I've been playing the game for 4 years...

mumblemumble

Pre alpha here : back when it was just solar panels, turrets, steel for EVERYTHING, and the game was far less complicated. Still was fun then, even if it didn't take terribly long to see everything then.

I love reflecting on how long its gone, and improved.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Dr. Z

Joined in right after the kickstarter, which I would totally have backed if I'd have known of it.
Prasie the Squirrel!

ProjectXa3

A15 or 16. I think it was 16. I'd heard about it from the comic Ctrl+Alt+Del by Tim Buckley, where he drew a strip on it http://cad-comic.com/comic/we-never-stood-a-chance/, but what really got my attention was the summary he gave in the text description http://cad-comic.com/rimworld/.
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."