Multiple workshops in the same room ?

Started by b0rsuk, March 02, 2015, 11:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Are there any reasons not to put multiple workshops in a single big room ? For example are researchers bothered by a cook or a stonecutter ? Is the only limitation logistics - like having a stonecutter close to a stone stockpile, or cook near a fridge ? I don't think people in medical beds count as sleeping , so I could put them in near research tables, sculptors, etc. As far as I know the only activity that is bothered by people going by is sleep - "disturbed sleep" thought.

warden

No drawbacks for doing so. I place all the worktables in a single room right next to main storage.

b0rsuk

Not that offended by current situation, but it would make sense to at least group jobs by noise generated. A researcher would suffer if placed in the same room as stonecutter. An artist would be a bit better, cook at similar level of noise. Hospital patients would need quiet time to get better, I think they would get along with researchers. Tailors would be on the noisy side (sewing machines). Butchers are not exactly noisy (until animal husbandry and herds are implemented!) but should be disturbing to many people. In particular, most people should be bothered by by having a diner table in the same room as butcher.

Panzer

Theres no limitation to where to build a workbench, in fact you can even build them outside. Just remember to generate roof before doing so, at least the middle part of a powered workbench needs to have a roof over it.

cultist

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 02, 2015, 11:27:31 AM
Not that offended by current situation, but it would make sense to at least group jobs by noise generated. A researcher would suffer if placed in the same room as stonecutter. An artist would be a bit better, cook at similar level of noise. Hospital patients would need quiet time to get better, I think they would get along with researchers. Tailors would be on the noisy side (sewing machines). Butchers are not exactly noisy (until animal husbandry and herds are implemented!) but should be disturbing to many people. In particular, most people should be bothered by by having a diner table in the same room as butcher.

Yes, this has bothered me as well. There's no real disadvantage to bunching everything up in a single room, in fact you get a positive mood bonus from colonists chatting all the time. I tend to keep my dining area and kitchen separate, but all the crafters just go in one room next to the resources.

As for medical treatment, there is kind of a penalty for stuffing your medbay into another area - sleeping (healing) colonists get the "Disturbed Sleep" negative modifier if other people walk around near them while they're sleeping. This can be a problem if the colonist is already stressed from wounds or seeing corpses.

Boboid

It's not just the social chat bonuses - It's beauty too.

Distributing art across a wide enough area to generally cover most of your colonists during their work can be really freaking fiddly and extremely expensive in terms of colony wealth, much easier to do if all your worktables are in a single area.
It's also worth noting that above about.. 65? 70? mood colonists actually get a global work speed increase, it's not massive to begin with but it stacks up and seems to interact multiplicatively with traits like Hard Worker.

Frankly if you're not grouping your workbenches in a single area you're really shooting yourself in the foot.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Vexare

I used to try and make separate workshops for each type of work but that's just a lot of work for little reward. As others have said it's just easier and makes more sense to build one large workshop and have storage shooting off from this area in all directions. The colonists socialize more and are easier to keep track of this way as I know where all my crafters are at any given time. I'm still learning how to juggle space efficiency for stockpiles so that they're not constantly climbing over each other's 'work' to get to materials they want or need. The logic behind "I'll go clear to the back of this enormous stockpile for one single rock" mystifies me. Goofy little weebles, why don't you take the one in the front?

magicbush

Quote from: Boboid on March 02, 2015, 01:31:23 PM
It's not just the social chat bonuses - It's beauty too.

Distributing art across a wide enough area to generally cover most of your colonists during their work can be really freaking fiddly and extremely expensive in terms of colony wealth, much easier to do if all your worktables are in a single area.
It's also worth noting that above about.. 65? 70? mood colonists actually get a global work speed increase, it's not massive to begin with but it stacks up and seems to interact multiplicatively with traits like Hard Worker.

Frankly if you're not grouping your workbenches in a single area you're really shooting yourself in the foot.

Well I have not played Rimworld a ton yet and am still learning(had 3 colonies, and one I escaped with the other 2 died). But in each colony I have always separated work tables by a wall lol, and never had to many issues with colonists moods until this last update adding artists/etc. Now unfortunately on my newest colony on this build I am seeing it is better to keep them all in the same room and I do not like it at all. I like separating the jobs out accordingly to it's job type and how close to a specific stock pile it needs to be(yea I like my bases really organized and tidy). With them all in the same room it looks ugly and odd honestly and would most certainly not be like that on most outposts after a while.