Removing bionic leg bug

Started by BugPowderDust, March 01, 2015, 01:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BugPowderDust

Vanilla game, no mods, latest version (Alpha 9, 727)

I have a colonist who has gone into a daze, she has been recaptured. I want to remove her previously installed bionic leg as she is a prosthophobe and it's wrecking her mood.

When I issue the bill, she gets moved out of the prisoner room, into the medical room (with the medical beds) and then gets anaesthetised. Then, doctors come in, there's a shuffle noise, nothing happens, and rinse/repeat. If I delete the bill, she recovers from the anaesthetic, and is moved back to the prison room. The leg removal doesn't happen.

The colonist is called Vera. Game save, world and output files can be found here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DA71746D525CD73C!3351&authkey=!AKdZk_Agu1CkyNw&ithint=file%2czip

tommytom

Yeah, he fumbles him about eating FPS picking him up and dropping him. I gave him good thoughts, removed the bill, fixed his anesthesia and food poisoning cleared up and the operation succeeded (if you call cuts to stomach, arm and liver and a removed bionic leg a success).

I found it.
If you arrest a colonist, let him be taken to a prison bed, set his bedroom for colonists instead of prisoners (he will fall out of bed), add an operation, then let them move him, they will take him to a colonist marked bed instead of a prisoner marked bed and this is where the problem happens.

Wow. This breaks like everything. Causes a downward spiral. Can't feed people because they are in a colonist area, can't release them. Nothing.

Good catch. This one is nasty.

Looks like another problem with differentiating a colonist from a prisoner. I found one recently, this happens with double-clicking colonists (they are still considered colonists though you can't control them, so they are selected too), and now this.

tommytom

Forget my above post. Even easier than that.

Draft someone.
Arrest a colonist.
Wait for them to enter a prison area (so they are not "escaping").
Add an operation.
Prioritize the job if it doesn't happen automatically (I arrested with a doctor, so it started even when paused).
Since it's a colonist prisoner, they are taken to a colonist medical bed by error and this happens.

It then spirals into not being able to do anything else like feed them, release, etc since they are not in prison and are not escaping.

BugPowderDust

Thanks for confirming. I was so surprised to see a bug as the Alpha has been very bug-free, I just assumed I was doing something wrong!

tommytom

Quote from: BugPowderDust on March 02, 2015, 03:39:35 AM
Thanks for confirming. I was so surprised to see a bug as the Alpha has been very bug-free, I just assumed I was doing something wrong!
Yeah, I found a strange colonist turned prisoner bug myself. Just an oversight. My bug, she would "twitch" in the corner and not do anything simply because I arrested her with injuries and unticked "give doctor care" and she thought she couldn't claim a bed. It was weird.

Anyways, you can fix your colonist like this:
Remove the operation. Let the anesthesia wear off. Set that room to be a prisoner room. Fix the food problem now that he can be fed in your now prisoner room and he is conscious. Then recruit or release him to get him back as a normal colonist and THEN do the operation.

Since it was a bug, I wouldn't be against enabing dev mode and giving my colonist some good thoughts to undo what the bug did to him.

Gaesatae

tommytom I couldn't reliably reproduce the bug, only happened once out of ten tries. I'll try again later to see if I can narrow the possible causes. But yes, it happens, the doctor get's into a loop picking up and dropping the colonist in the medical bed, but he never should have carried the patient there in the first place.

tommytom

Make 2 rooms with doors.
Make one bed in each.
Set one bed/room to prisoners.
Arrest test subject.
Add "install denture" bill.
Watch as they pick him up and put him in a non-medical colonist bed.

In my test, the eventually picked him back up and put him back in prison and the operation started.

Doing the same thing again but with only one colonist bed but set as medical, they drop him in and fumble him about and then they move him to prison and the operation starts.

Maybe not returning him to prison is a path-finding issue, but I just put a maze prison bedroom across the mapa nd they still move him there.

They move the test subject to a colonist bed to sedate them, they fumble him for some reason, then they find a path to prison and move them.

Firstly, the problem is taking them to a colonist bed to sedate them. The second problem, I can't reproduce in a new colony. I did it 2-3 times in his save though no problem.

Tynan

Thanks for reporting this. Great repro steps all! I've fixed it now.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog