Rework Experience

Started by Eulogy, October 02, 2014, 01:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eulogy

We have seen what happens as far as skill atrophy when a worker does not do a task for an extended amount of time, but what of a limit as to how much certain characters can forget? Also, in addition to the flame symbol that symbolizes a person's passion, an icicle or something of the sort can display one's dislike, or how easily one can forget.
Also I have thought of three new traits that pertain to the general XP game.

Forgetful: Additional -10% (more or less) skill atrophy

Intelligent: Provides a general 50% cap to how much knowledge can be retained

Single Minded: [Skill(s)] are granted a bonus +20% speed boost, at the cost of -30% atrophy.

Kagemusha

I feel that skill atrophy should only be within a level; by which I mean if a colonist is a level 17 miner with a half bar of exp in mining, and then doesn't have the opportunity to mine then that bar will slowly be reduced to the start of 17.

Will admit to not actually knowing how it works in the game...maybe that is how it works. Was just putting down how I feel it should work. Losing actual levels would be frustrating to say the least.

I recall reading that skill atrophy only happens above a certain level of skill. If I recall correctly then this is an elegant solution. Up to a certain point one can retain skill in a craft, but at the higher levels of artistry the rust one acquires from lack of use would lead to a loss in skill. But, that skill would get regained faster.

TL;DR
-Skill atrophy should only occur above a certain skill level.
-regaining lost skill exp should be quicker than the initial gain; relearning is much easier than learning.

Varnhagen

Atrophy starts at level 10. Once you've lost your tenth level, the skill will remain indefinitely at 10000/10000 XP at level nine. The next corresponding task takes you back into Level 10.
The gripes I've got with atrophy is that it seems to whittle down even the trait or profession based skill boni (might be wrong on that). I'd like to see that skill-levels don't drop below the starting level. I like the idea that you can loose the experience of a level but never the level itself. It could be rationalized as struggling to comprehend or master a new concept of the trade. But once internalized you'll have a ready access to it and won't lose it.
Quote from: Eulogy on October 02, 2014, 01:20:14 PM
Forgetful: Additional -10% (more or less) skill atrophy
Intelligent: Provides a general 50% cap to how much knowledge can be retained
Single Minded: [Skill(s)] are granted a bonus +20% speed boost, at the cost of -30% atrophy.

I like these traits. And the possibility of dislikes. It sure beats "Doesn't do ..." and could be a coupled reluctance to practice that skill and a negative mood while being forced to do so.
It should be clear that characters (as pretty much everything else) is a place-holder system. Improving on it would be nice. As a character creation of sorts would be.