Small reminder about world generation and regeneration

Started by ToXeye, August 11, 2016, 01:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToXeye

Small reminder:

In dwarf fortress the world is simulated before letting the player make his impression on the world. This makes the game huge and slow to start playing, more like a kind of game experiment than a real game. What does the game gain from having such huge computations? The world that the player is going to invade is going to become regenerated. As the player chops down trees en masse... they should come back (but I can't verify this... haven't played DF for long spurts... more short tests than gaming it for real).

So what is the foremost reason the colony loses the forest that it lives in? Alpha beavers, thunder storms, boomalopes/boomrats, winter, sieges, Molotovs, fire starters... and is there ways to replant the forest? Nope... growing zones are the only way to get trees once the forest starts disappearing.

Just putting this here.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

CannibarRechter

CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: ToXeye on August 11, 2016, 01:16:23 PMis there ways to replant the forest? Nope... growing zones are the only way to get trees once the forest starts disappearing.
That is exactly the way to replant the forest. I don't see what your concern is here. You can't replant trees unless you tell your guys to replant trees? How is that not already what you seem to be asking for?

MerlosTheMad

Quote from: ToXeye on August 11, 2016, 01:16:23 PM
Small reminder:

In dwarf fortress the world is simulated before letting the player make his impression on the world. This makes the game huge and slow to start playing, more like a kind of game experiment than a real game. What does the game gain from having such huge computations? The world that the player is going to invade is going to become regenerated. As the player chops down trees en masse... they should come back (but I can't verify this... haven't played DF for long spurts... more short tests than gaming it for real).

So what is the foremost reason the colony loses the forest that it lives in? Alpha beavers, thunder storms, boomalopes/boomrats, winter, sieges, Molotovs, fire starters... and is there ways to replant the forest? Nope... growing zones are the only way to get trees once the forest starts disappearing.

Just putting this here.
Waaaait that can't be right. I swear that wild trees have been regrowing on my last map. Maybe it's a mod feature I overlooked but I swear it's happening.

ToXeye

Quote from: MerlosTheMad on August 12, 2016, 01:19:15 AMWaaaait that can't be right. I swear that wild trees have been regrowing on my last map. Maybe it's a mod feature I overlooked but I swear it's happening.

Ok, so I guess I don't play the game for long enough time to notice any difference. I am not good at rimworld because there's plenty of tricks that I do not know of yet. I have been watching w4stedspace on YouTube and his base is huge... and he didn't cheat in any way.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

chaotix14

Quote from: ToXeye on August 16, 2016, 09:00:40 AM
Quote from: MerlosTheMad on August 12, 2016, 01:19:15 AMWaaaait that can't be right. I swear that wild trees have been regrowing on my last map. Maybe it's a mod feature I overlooked but I swear it's happening.

Ok, so I guess I don't play the game for long enough time to notice any difference. I am not good at rimworld because there's plenty of tricks that I do not know of yet. I have been watching w4stedspace on YouTube and his base is huge... and he didn't cheat in any way.

Trees and other wild plants(the wild berries, grass, agave, normal bushes and dandilions, even the dandilions you planted) spread by themselves. Also just like animals vegetation will grow back from the edge, this is best perceived after a toxic fallout event since it has quite a big effect on plantlife.

Kagemusha12

I can definitely agree.
After 2 weeks of toxic fallout ~60% of my map had turned into a barren wasteland.
Now, almost 1 year after that, trees have spread again in the region that was devastated the most.

Grass and Dandelions still are struggling to appear in the affected region (and only thrive in the rim regions of the map, which was the part that was the least hurt by the fallout), but that can well be explained by the fact, that they serve as food for many of the animals roaming the map.

SpaceDorf

The only sad thing is, that regrowing of plant life, especially grass and bushes takes to long after such an event.

Another thing that playes a factor is that Trees have a 90 day livetime. So they may die off before they can spread enough.
Personally I have a bit of a problem with this number, because its unnatural and totally bogus.

Do Trees spread too from growing zones ? It would be nice.

--- EDIT ---

On the DF Comparison. Yes Trees Grow much faster in DF than in RW, at least it feels that way because DF Time is equivalent to RW-Triple Speed. Also the year is longer and except from the Fortress itself there are no large vegetation killing events.

The Flora and Fauna of DF have very little to do with world generation and civs They are  "just" simulated nature and background. The Alps did not care about WW I and II, the Jungle in Vietnam may have been a bit annoyed about Agent Orange .. but thats it .. Trees still grow in Cernobyl ..

On DF World Generation : The outset for DF was to be a AUTOMATIC STORY/ LEGEND GENERATOR.
The Biomes are created by simulated weather models, rivers follow the rock formations and ground that is calculated.

What the game gains by Time that is used to grow the world is : Gods, Demons and Megabeasts are created ProcedurallyPopulation Centers Grow and get Abandonned. Civilisations go to war with each other.

The WorldGen information is than actually used in the game in Artwork and Relations of Civilisations to each other.
Since 2010 ( i believe ) armies are spawned and send over the map by the civilisations.
If your fort gets attacked, the attackers are not random generated but an army send by your enemy.
As of last years release, the cultural background noise continues while the game is played.
You can built taverns in your fortress ( pretty much the hospitality mod ) where existing entities visit your fort
and spread the word through the rest of the simulated world.
When you end your Fortress you can reclaim it, build somewhere else in the world or visit your fort with an adventurer
( the main idea where fortress mode came from ) and stuff from your fortress will show up in the world.
Things that you did, will come up in conversations with people in the world ..

That is the scope of DF.
Never Underestimate a Mathematician in a Fey mood :)

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kagemusha12

To add something to SpaceDorfs posting:

Sometimes you even have leading figures of another (for example goblin) civilisation taking part in Dwarf Fortress sieges. If they get killed during the siege/attack, the other civilisation puts another person into the position.

Also you have a game mode called "Legends" in which you can see all important events in the history of the game world (and also all important figures together with the events surrounding them). Which later includes events surrounding your adventurer or your fortress and people living in it
It is definitely something I am missing about Rimworld

SpaceDorf

Well the Leader thing is there in Rimworld.
I killed a few myself :)

But I think, aiming for DF would be a bad thing for rimworld.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 17, 2016, 09:56:57 AM
Well the Leader thing is there in Rimworld.
I killed a few myself :)

Oh interesting .... seems then, like my colony hasn't been important enough yet, to warrant an attack that includes the tribes/pirates leader :D

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 17, 2016, 09:56:57 AM
But I think, aiming for DF would be a bad thing for rimworld.

Yes, sure, wouldn't want it to go full steam towards a DF equivalent in space (with a world generation duration that (like in DF on my computer) lasts 3-4 hours :D )
But some kind of textual history of your own colony would be nice IMHO ... like:
1. Spring 5500 AD Jules, Keuneke and Rose crash on Asterion Prior
4. Spring 5500 AD The colony has been named Elysis
15. Spring 5500 AD A raiding party of Canto of Galga, led by Anamû, attack the colony, resulting in 2 killed tribals.
15. Spring 5500 AD Rose lost her left thumb
15. Spring 5500 AD Frandle of Canto of Galga gets captured by the colonists
10. Summer 5500 AD Frandle of Canto of Galga gets released by the colonists and returns home
8. Fall 5503 AD Keuneke crafts a legendary LMG

SpaceDorf

There used to be a graph which did exactly that.
I can't seem to find it in my current game, maybe its out for now, maybe a mod changed it ..

Kegereneku

The OP was about forest, so my post is about forest.

In the "Write an Events" thread, I have suggested a "Nature's rebirth" events, which would regenerate (a little) a map back to something more natural.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

ToXeye

Quote from: Kegereneku on August 17, 2016, 02:57:24 PM
The OP was about forest, so my post is about forest.

In the "Write an Events" thread, I have suggested a "Nature's rebirth" events, which would regenerate (a little) a map back to something more natural.

I like this idea. Sounds nice to have counter balance after all (all the tree killer events).
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

stu89pid

Quote from: MerlosTheMad on August 12, 2016, 01:19:15 AM
Quote from: ToXeye on August 11, 2016, 01:16:23 PM
Small reminder:

Just putting this here.
Waaaait that can't be right. I swear that wild trees have been regrowing on my last map. Maybe it's a mod feature I overlooked but I swear it's happening.
It's not a mod, my first colony I build many wind turbines without zones around them and was constantly having to cut down trees randomly growing under them after I initially cleared the area. They re-grow slower than growing zones trees (in quantity, not sure about growing speed), but I don't really understand what this thread is about.