Manhunter hordes are way too powerful

Started by DNK, April 29, 2017, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

about 30 midgets

If you're hiding in a bedroom, you could deconstruct a bed then build a wall right behind the door so there wouldn't actually be a path towards your cornered pawn/s. Haven't tried with stone walls, but wooden walls are pretty quick to build.

the other methods work just as fine tho

Wanderer_joins

Harmless if you're careful but if you forget to close all doors or have a bad zoning it can be devastating even end game.

Never be casual with manhunter packs.

Shurp

Quote from: about 30 midgets on April 30, 2017, 08:54:27 PM
If you're hiding in a bedroom, you could deconstruct a bed then build a wall right behind the door so there wouldn't actually be a path towards your cornered pawn/s. Haven't tried with stone walls, but wooden walls are pretty quick to build.

Excellent point -- manhunters don't break down walls.  And it takes them a while to bust down a door.  (I build all my exterior doors out of steel.)  So just grab a few wood logs and barricade yourself in.  Have one constructor stand their repairing the door while the one closest to the warehouse grabs a bundle.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

cultist

Quote from: O Negative on April 30, 2017, 07:28:38 AM
They don't have to starve and die before they "go away." They'll leave on their own after a solid 24 hours. At least, that's my experience with all of the manhunter packs I've seen.

It depends on the type of animal (and possibly some RnG). Small animals will begin to starve faster, leading the event to end quickly. Large animals like rhinos or muffalo can hang around for much longer.

The Man with No Name

You've got to be really careful when repairing doors, as colonists will only do it when under automatic control and not when drafted. One of the original three colonists in my game died when someone was repairing a door and, upon completion, immediately opened it, letting hostiles in. So keep a very close eye on the repair completion percentage rate and be ready to stop the repairer at or before it reaches 100%.

khearn

Or make sure your zoneing is set so the constructor won't try to go through the door when it's fully repaired.

But now that I think about it, I've never seen animals enter through a door that a colonists was passing through. I've had plenty of times when I orders a colonist through a door and he/she got attacked by an animal several times before getting through, but the animal didn't follow through the door. Raiders might be a different story, though.

The Man with No Name

Yeah, that's a long-winded way of doing it - setting up and painting a new zone for every door that needs repairing in such circumstances - but my colonist would probably still be alive if I had. It was raiders that did for my colonist.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: The Man with No Name on May 01, 2017, 01:42:51 PM
You've got to be really careful when repairing doors, as colonists will only do it when under automatic control and not when drafted. One of the original three colonists in my game died when someone was repairing a door and, upon completion, immediately opened it, letting hostiles in.

You can forbid the door while your colonist is repairing it, he'll keep working on it until completion but not open it.

The Man with No Name

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on May 01, 2017, 03:05:12 PM
You can forbid the door while your colonist is repairing it, he'll keep working on it until completion but not open it.

Thanks, that's a great workaround!

Shurp

Having an "inside" zone is fairly common -- you'll want one anyway if you get a toxic fallout, or if some of your colonists don't have parkas, that kind of thing.  And if your base is surrounded by 50 manhunting wargs :)  So if your door-repairman is set to "inside" he won't open the door after he fixes it.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

khearn

Yeah, an "inside" zone is what I was thinking of when I suggested zones above. And that's all I've generally needed.

But if you're dealing with a situation where some raiders/manhunters have gotten inside your buildings, it gets more difficult, which is  what I'm assuming The Man with No Name was thinking about when he replied to me. If my assumption was right, I agree with him, it could be pretty tedious at that point.

I guess you could just keep trimming your "inside" zone to remove any areas that have fallen to the attackers. But knowing myself, I'd probably forget to fix the "inside" zone to what it should be after the battle is over. Heck, I usually completely forget to unrectrict my pawns after the battle, and then spend the next day or so wondering why they aren't hauling steel from my mining area. :-P

I think I've seen a mod that gives you an alert if you have any pawns that aren't unrestricted. I really should find it and use it.

Blastoderm

Make a mountain base and use all exploits from the other thread. Manhunters are meant to bruteforce people who like to turtle and wall up. Ironically, the only solution is to turtle up even more, even deeper, even stronger, ideally preventing your colonists to ever going outside.

Ukas

I only build open colonies without walls, and when there's a manhunter pack, my guys retreat to community hall, which conveniently has a kitchen and a food storage, and there are some med supplies stored. They hang out in a huge combined rec and dining room, drink beer and smoke joints. It's basically a big party, so it's extremely rare for pawns to loose their marbles and do something stupid while the animals are running around on the streets. And when manhunter animals get sleepy pawns move out and hunt a few of them. It's easy, only thing which bugs me is the mess the animals leave, it can take days to clean.