My proposal for the turret problem.

Started by Produno, November 07, 2013, 06:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Produno

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 10, 2013, 06:28:39 PM

Solution: Embrace "Turret Defense"

Let the people who don't want those things simply not build those things.

Lol. Seriously, im banging my head against a brick wall here!

Galileus

Quote from: Produno on November 10, 2013, 06:29:49 PMHeheh, i know it gets boring trying to explain the same thing over and over and over again for the small minority. Luckily most people understand the problem and want to help make the game as fun as it can be by offering solutions.

I think I'll just imagine Shadow whining on X-COM being unbalanced in Ironman Mode because his people get shot at. That should lower my blood pressure! :P

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Galileus on November 10, 2013, 06:35:45 PMI think I'll just imagine Shadow whining on X-COM being unbalanced in Ironman Mode because his people get shot at. That should lower my blood pressure! :P

You know what's a good game of X-COM? Turtling through the level, moving from cover to cover, annihilating sectoids and mutons as they come into view, and if you do manage to drop everything in the crapper, saying "fuck that" and reloading.

So why for fuck's sake would I play in ironman mode? Huh?
Raiders must die!

maxthebeast11

Remember: Kicking the diverse opinion is not the way to improve a videogame.

Lothar

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 10, 2013, 06:37:42 PM
Quote from: Galileus on November 10, 2013, 06:35:45 PMI think I'll just imagine Shadow whining on X-COM being unbalanced in Ironman Mode because his people get shot at. That should lower my blood pressure! :P

You know what's a good game of X-COM? Turtling through the level, moving from cover to cover, annihilating sectoids and mutons as they come into view, and if you do manage to drop everything in the crapper, saying "fuck that" and reloading.

So why for fuck's sake would I play in ironman mode? Huh?

For the challenge? that's the whole point so your people actually mean something it makes you appreciate each person and makes you play differently than you would if their lives don't matter.

Galileus

Best part in X-com Ironman? Having Veteran of the Month, Ferdinand (or was it Fritz?) The Shotgun Ninja run up to a Chryssalid in open terrain, and shock him with a stun gun. Darn, the tears of joy!

Turning an desperate situation into decisive victory is something you can't do in god mode or with save abuse, as no situation is desperate.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Galileus on November 10, 2013, 07:47:51 PMBest part in X-com Ironman? Having Veteran of the Month, Ferdinand (or was it Fritz?) The Shotgun Ninja run up to a Chryssalid in open terrain, and shock him with a stun gun. Darn, the tears of joy!

Aaaand you've just proven that you know not of whence you speak of.

Chryssalids can't be shocked! First time I tried to capture one, I was wondering why it wasn't letting me shock the damn thing, then I realized it must not have been a shockable enemy. And then I had my close quarters support ninja out in the open next to a melee terrorbeast and had a real "oh crap" moment.
Raiders must die!

todofwar

After reading through this I have two ideas:

Make turrets harder to kill, but limit them in some way that you only get like two or three, forces the player to place them smart.

Stop them from blowing up and burning everything to the ground. Seriously, since when do turrets blow up? It's like cars blowing up in movies.

And finally (three for the price of two because I am generous) make the raider AI smarter, though I understand that it is not so easy as it sounds to construct good AI.

Stormkiko

It may have been suggested before, but my game is running in the background right now and I don't entirely trust them to not run away with my metal. I still think the best solution to the turret problem, if he leaves them in, is to limit their range of movement. 360 degrees, while nice, is a bit much. Cutting it to 120 degrees would make more sense, but I'd even suggest/be cool with 80 or 60 degrees, though the 60 degrees would have to have some compensation.

Imca

I dont know if this has already been sugested....

But why not just make the auto-turret a kit gun? that needs some kind of kit that only the weapons trader sells?

Gives the weapons trader something unique agian, makes turrets less disposable if you can only buy 1 or so per weapons trader if the next one even shows up...

And still lets you have some amount of automated defences.

todofwar

Other solution: Make base destroying natural disaster events happen slightly (only slightly) more often, just enough for you to be forced to rebuild your defenses in a hurry on occasion. Your field of turrets now reduced to slag you have to clear away would definitely make people be more cautious about overloading a field with turrets.

Kender

You know what, if people hate turrets so much, just don't build them.

I don't want to rebuild everything once in a while outside over and over, even without building any of those turrets at all. It is not fun, and tedious.

You want give raiders a better chance. let them air strike your base first, if you built like 20 turrets or something.
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.

mumblemumble

Quote from: Stormkiko on November 11, 2013, 01:40:33 AM
It may have been suggested before, but my game is running in the background right now and I don't entirely trust them to not run away with my metal. I still think the best solution to the turret problem, if he leaves them in, is to limit their range of movement. 360 degrees, while nice, is a bit much. Cutting it to 120 degrees would make more sense, but I'd even suggest/be cool with 80 or 60 degrees, though the 60 degrees would have to have some compensation.
I don't think they so much need that..problem isn't the versatility of them, its that once a player has an abundance of metal / power, and isn't expanding as much, they can dump metal / power into getting dozens of guns.

I still think having a separate resource (like my previously mentioned AI chips) to be used for turrets IN ADDITION to metal would be the best balanced idea, as while you would still require metal, having more metal than an entire country wouldn't mean you could have 20 turrets without FIRST having 20 AI chips. Plus, I could see these chips being a good resource in the future for any other automated buildings.

And since the AI chips could be separate from metal, the in-game directors could limit the amount of chips able to be obtained, similar to the methods used to keep a colony from growing 30 strong, or such. (by turning off slave traders after x amount of colonists, and such.)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Galileus

Quote from: Stormkiko on November 11, 2013, 01:40:33 AMPlus, I could see these chips being a good resource in the future for any other automated buildings.

Now, here's the flaw. If you do that, you end up with forcing player to decide between buildings with a limited stock. You still can overuse turrets, because AI chips would need to be in proper amount for turrets and other buildings. If you limit the amount of AI chips with that in mind, you limit the player in very artificial way. If you use AI chips for turrets only, you're adding a new resource only to explain a hard cap. Now, that's a LOT of complexity for no depth.

Not to mention hard caps are meh. We have some ideas that can soft cap it here.

mumblemumble

You act like my idea simply COULD NOT work, which isn't true.

You are being a pessimist without even entertaining the idea, and you are assuming the absolute worst of all possibilities.

Quit acting like something is simply impossible to do, there's plenty of ways things could be handled, perhaps having a CPU for your base which total processing power is boosted every chip obtained. Certain things could take very low processing power (like automated lights based on motion detection) while things like turrets could use more processing power from the CPU. That is just one way you could prevent the "issues" you bring up, and there are countless others.

Quit being such a negative Nancy, please, it doesn't help the forums, and with a new game, exploring new ideas is something which is a natural, and good idea. If things don't work out? Fine, they can remove them, but besides extremely obvious bad ideas (Lets have nuke air strikes!) people shouldn't nay say without at least entertaining ideas first, or giving solid reasons why something would be detrimental to the game. (which yours aren't seeing as how I just explained how your reasons could be delt with in a reasonable way)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.