Multiple towns

Started by Vas, November 08, 2014, 12:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

As for something else I mentioned in another topic, https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7344.0

This building (The caravan station) could be used to move your colony.  You simply put all the supplies you want to take with you into the crates (a stockpile type item), that are within range of the caravans you are building, maybe even each caravan you have increases the amount you can transport.  Each one having 6 slots in it, each one requiring one colonist as well to take.  So you load up your supplies and find a new location on the map to move to.  Old colony locations are now marked grey as "abandon colony", and you set out and make a new starting colony somewhere else with everything you took with you.

Perhaps, you left some people behind, then this makes the old colony just "Town 1" or whatever you named the colony town, while the new one you forge, gets it's name after 7 days if living there.  Then you can jump between both towns and manage them both.  The other pauses while you manage the other.  Unless you want to have it keep tracking time in both and send you red alerts through the mail system when something happens in another town.

A bonus feature of using two towns, would be that you can send supplies between both.  The further you are, the longer it takes the caravan to travel across the map.  The possibility of upgrading the method to better caravans, maybe even with science and technology to unlock cars, or trucks, and even orbital dropping your supplies like traders do with a large sort of cannon that launches the supplies up.  Taking some supplies to make the container that protects the supplies on drop and cloth for the parachute.

If you do this, you should add a new right click menu option to all items that says "Load into caravan" or "load into orbital drop cannon".  This would put the supply into a box and use the cloth to make it a parachut and load it into the cannon where you right click the cannon and select the town you wish to send the supplies to.  Or loads the supplies into a wooden crate and puts it on the caravan.

If you transported all from the colony, your old town gets marked "abandon", however you can return to it.  If you left it only 2 months ago, you'll return to find some of the supplies have been raided, maybe some food expired and disappeared.  If you left it a year ago, you'll come back and find a lot of decay has happened, random raiders had destroyed sections of it trying to find goods, it'll basically be a big mess of decay and ruin, but it'll still be repairable and stuff and you'll probably still get something out of it.

I could try and expand on this idea further, but I'm not sure what Tynan would think of it.  I mean it would probably be pretty complex and time consuming to implement, I assume.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Vas

I just thought of another idea even.  :P  The ability to play two locations at once.  Split screen, or perhaps two monitors, two windows, whatever.  :P  I know this isn't likely, but it would make it more interesting, being able to send supplies from one to the other, and waiting for those supplies to arrive in the other.  One of your two maps has a raider invasion and (if you have the option enabled) will auto pause as soon as any red alert is posted so that you can switch to it and deal with the situation.  Well, both being the same map, they'll pause and play at the same rate.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

general222291

I have wanted something like this to be the future co-op/multiplayer for a while, you and your friends can play together, help out or raid each other and so on...
Mods:
Wandering Caravans [A15]

Vas

I don't think Tynan would ever do multiplayer.  :P  Even if it would be the most awesome thing to happen to the game.

It would be hard to code, and synchronization would be an issue.