A Burning issue?

Started by Listy, November 27, 2014, 03:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

A couple of things have cropped up recently that have been seriously causing me trouble, both from a hardware stand point and a game play standpoint, and so now seems to be a good time to talk about it.

Its simply Fire.

A)Hardware:
My Desktop is running a Geforce GTX 660 and a Dual core 3Ghz CPU. While not exactly stellar numbers its not exactly bad, and I can run modern 3D games at a decent quality setting.
Yet a relatively simple looking game such as this starts to seriously lag out in the later game when even small fires start. I suspect its a combination of things, namely my large colony size (30-40+) and fire takes up a lot of processes.

A Small fire cause issues, imagine how unplayable it gets when you get several Centipedes showing up with inferno cannons, it goes from annoying to utterly game breaking.

B)Gameplay:
My issue is the pants on head stupid way colonists tackle fires.
Simply there's a cluster of fires and each colonists assigns themselves to one fire and rushes out to tackle it, then wanders off.
Ignoring the square next to them that's also on fire. If the colonist whose assigned to that fire is coming from a long way away then everyone will leave and the fire will spread again. Its a severe case of a Someone else's problem field mixed with the Benny Hill show.
Add in there seems to be no way of actually fighting fires other than colonists or a handy rain dance. It seems somewhat odd considering the tech level. Cryosleep, interstellar travel, Geothermal power, cyborgs and AI, and fire fighting hasn't progressed past wafting a blanket at it...

Halinder

I /think/ there was a mod that added fire extinguishers.. let's just hope that mod creator sees this topic and points it out, because I forgot :/

But you can go ahead and briefly militarize everyone else and then keep right clicking fires to force people to extinguish it. It's very micro-management-y and time consuming but the best way to make sure you get it all.

Nasikabatrachus

I don't know how long you've been playing RW, but fire lag was a much worse problem in the past. It's already been optimized at least once and it's much better than it used to be. So, it's probably that 30-40 colonist count, which is 2-3 times the number of colonists the game is meant to be played with. I'm guessing there will be further optimization by the time of the full release.

As for firefighting, that's been a gripe of mine for some time now. Until it gets addressed in the future, I suggest drafting at least one colonist when a fire breaks out on base and fighting it manually (colonists automatically beat out fires when they're in a tile adjacent to a fire).

skullywag

My more weapons mod has an area effect fire extinguisher "weapon" in it. Im quite proud of it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Listy

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on November 27, 2014, 04:35:27 AM
I don't know how long you've been playing RW, but fire lag was a much worse problem in the past. It's already been optimized at least once and it's much better than it used to be. So, it's probably that 30-40 colonist count, which is 2-3 times the number of colonists the game is meant to be played with. I'm guessing there will be further optimization by the time of the full release.

As for firefighting, that's been a gripe of mine for some time now. Until it gets addressed in the future, I suggest drafting at least one colonist when a fire breaks out on base and fighting it manually (colonists automatically beat out fires when they're in a tile adjacent to a fire).

Started at the start of the last build.
I would have thought that its quite common to get up to higher colonist numbers, but even when I have a group of 100+ enemies raiding me it still runs (occasionally there'll be a lag, but not worth mentioning). Its just the darn fires.

Commander Beanbag

Are you sure you don't have the fire bug? Enable dev mode and check your console for huge amounts of errors when viewing fire.

Listy

Quote from: Commander Beanbag on November 28, 2014, 12:09:36 AM
Are you sure you don't have the fire bug? Enable dev mode and check your console for huge amounts of errors when viewing fire.

Could be! I'll have a check next time I'm on.