Steam mods on standalone

Started by Elixiar, November 21, 2017, 01:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

Is it possible to somehow get the steam workshop uploaded mods to play nice with the DRM website bought version?
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Elixiar

That doesn't make any sense. How? mods are free.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Cpt. DuctTape

Quote from: Elixiar on November 21, 2017, 02:39:03 PM
That doesn't make any sense. How? mods are free.

Pirated copies of RimWorld can't use workshop mods, for obvious reasons. Uploading these mods to this forum or any other modding website makes these mods accessible for pirates, so you're indirectly supporting pirates this way. This is why some modders release their stuff on the workshop only.

Dingo

Workshop mods are the exact same mods you'd download on a 3rd party website like Dropbox. It's the same folder just named differently.

Most mod authors offer downloads outside of Steam, and if they don't you could comment on the Workshop page and ask for a 3rd party download.

Calahan

Okay guys, there's a bit too much piracy / how to obtain Workshop mods chatter going on here, and I've had to delete two posts, one of which was way too specific on the matter.

I'm pretty sure Dingo has answered the OP's question (thanks Dingo), so unless anyone has got anything pertinent to add to Dingo's post, and which is relevant to using (and NOT obtaining) Steam Workshop mods with the DRM-free version then this thread has served its purpose. But I won't lock it in case Elixiar needs to ask further questions (which mod files to copy, and where to etc.).

And I do not want to see anyone post anything relating to obtaining workshop mods outside of Steam again. So please think before you post, and if in any doubt or you think you shouldn't be posting something, then the likelihood is you shouldn't be posting it.

Albion

Also if you actually bought the DRM free version from the website you can always activate it on steam and therefore get the mods you want to use.
30$ is not that large a price tag if you compare it to the hundreds of hours you will enjoy the game.

Elixiar

Thanks for not locking the post. I bought Rimworld back in Alpha 3. I have the key for the steam version but I just prefer to open the game directly and not as part of steam (don't like the overlay and general services that come with it.)

The only reason I asked was since it was simple code I didn't know if there was a way to just copy the files from the steam workshop versions and add them to the mods folder like normal ones uploaded on the release section of the forums.

Canute

Yes, they are the same mods. Steam just save then under a number name instead the mod name.
Since i don't use steam, i can't say if you can download the workshop mods without having a rimworld steam installed.
But you can copy the mods from the steam-rimworld mod folder to the DRM rimworld mod folder.
Both rimworld use the same config file.

Elixiar

So if I download Rimworld through steam, I can then subscribe the mods, take them from the steam mod file, and copy into the DRM free version? cool.

SpaceDorf

Yeap.

You need to install Rimworld once with steam, otherwise the folder-structure for the mods is not created. And Steam only downloads the mods active in your modlist.
So if you want to download all of them, you have to activate devmode and deactivate the option that rimworld resets the modlist .. which deletes all downloaded mods again ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.