Set turrets to defend against animals

Started by colonistPally, February 09, 2014, 12:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonistPally

Colony 9 keeps getting attacked by exploding squirrels. :P I have to kite them around while someone else shoots them, then put out the fire really quick after they're usually already near my town's sensitive bits.

A little toggle or upgrade to my turrets so it can detect and track animals would be very very nice. :) It doesn't have to be stock! But I would definitely like it some how available.

Karakoran

You should be able to click on the turret and check for shooting animals as well as enemies. However it should be default off so turrets don't unload on a squirrel while raiders murder the colony.

colonistPally

Ah thanks!!! I'm going to check this right now. I've had a few colonies get overran by pissed of boom squirrels :( Haven't lost the colony because of it but it causes serious problems.

TimMartland

Colony 9? Would that happen to be a Xenoblade reference, because my own colony was called Colony 9 too. Also, its frustrating to have to pull your workers out to go shoot squirrels when the turretrs are right there, so +1 to this.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

colonistPally

Quote from: TimMartland on February 10, 2014, 03:07:29 PM
Colony 9? Would that happen to be a Xenoblade reference, because my own colony was called Colony 9 too. Also, its frustrating to have to pull your workers out to go shoot squirrels when the turretrs are right there, so +1 to this.

The first 8 got wiped out, hehe. Yes I've seen several other references on the internet to Colony 9 so I found it amusing that this's the colony I also settled on. So I always go, "This is the story of Colony 9." HEhehe.

Also yes you can't set turrets to attack animals and the animal attacks keep rising! :(

Untrustedlife

I believe he meant that this option should be added.
(However I think that , since later in development we are getting butchering that killing with turrets doesn't result in meat (instead it makes the corpse unbutcherable.)
for balance reasons.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

keylocke

couldn't the turrets detect hostile animals the way they detect hostile raiders from neutral visitors?

i was wondering about this 'coz in the end game on a very large map, it's the squirrel/boomrat/muffalo psycho zerg rush which is teh bringer of doom. and unlike the raiders, i'm not sure if those psycho vermins eventually get tired and go away.

i often have to resort to burning all the chokepoints with molotovs just to weaken the herd enough for the firing squad. 'coz asking for help from allied factions often comes to late. lol.

Dr. Z

I'm really pissed of squirrels and boomrats eating my crops, Muffalos can be controlled because you kill them till they spawn on the other end of the map and you can see them but the others are like rats it doesen't matter how many you kill because they keep coming and I hate them, it would be very cool if I could set a turret to shoot those damn fuckers.
Prasie the Squirrel!

guken9922

this should be 1 priority or something cuz muffalo all going psychotic no way to defend beside mines? what gives why even bother to build turrets. we should at least be able to trap them.

StorymasterQ

I could have sworn that this was in consideration some time ago. To have turrets treat animals as hostile. Or perhaps just hostile animals. Or maybe respond to Hunt, as in fire on animals tagged as being Hunted.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Numar

*push*

Need it as well, turrets shooting at animals. Annoying micromanagement so far. Any mod possibities, pretty please?  :-*

pawnstorm

Quote from: Numar on May 11, 2014, 07:25:57 AM
*push*

Need it as well, turrets shooting at animals. Annoying micromanagement so far. Any mod possibities, pretty please?  :-*

Hmm, I'll add it to the next release of Vanilla+, which should be out tomorrow or so.

Numar

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 12, 2014, 07:16:26 PM
Quote from: Numar on May 11, 2014, 07:25:57 AM
*push*

Hmm, I'll add it to the next release of Vanilla+, which should be out tomorrow or so.
Much appreciated, thanks! Also kudos for your mod, didn't notice it so far, looks great. Installed.

GameInformerNL_2

Exactly what I thought! Or even for hunting? Or like shooting squirrels and boom rats off your growing zone!

Jagginlaz0rz

I think to balance this idea out, we could manually tag creatures with a tag gun that the turrets can read so you can even specify which ones go down, it makes sense.