[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delraith

Where can we dl CR defense? I can't find a link anywhere.

jackarbiter

Quote from: delraith on May 03, 2016, 02:16:07 PM
Quote from: player13 on May 03, 2016, 12:39:43 PMFYI, it gave no default visible error.

Do you have debug mode on? Or whatever it's called, I'm at work. When you do, errors will show in a popup screen.
Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles

Arrowstar

Quote from: delraith on May 03, 2016, 02:16:07 PM

Wait for the new version to be released.  The existing version is not compatible with either the CR pre-release or A13. :)

Famous Shoes

What difficulty are folks trying 1.6.3 with? I've taken a few serious runs at Cassandra/Challenge "The way it was meant to be played", but find the colony being wiped out in the first 1-3 seasons is inevitable for me with CR's changes.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: Famous Shoes on May 03, 2016, 06:50:12 PM
What difficulty are folks trying 1.6.3 with? I've taken a few serious runs at Cassandra/Challenge "The way it was meant to be played", but find the colony being wiped out in the first 1-3 seasons is inevitable for me with CR's changes.

I've almost completed an Extreme Randy run, currently finishing up ship research after 2 years in.

The biggest thing you can do is get ahold of rifles as quickly as possible and put clear out any front protection assaulting forces can use against you.

If you have enough open space, most mid-tier rifles can easily out-range the group and pick them off as they come, which usually sends them scattering and thinning out the forces even more. Binocular spotting for artillery runs is also great fun when you're dealing with a siege group/raid that's waiting before the attack.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on May 03, 2016, 08:07:49 AM
EDIT: Also, could we PLEASE get a quickfix for centipedes? I'm not joking when I say even the dev-mode kill command isn't enough to actually stop them, because their armor quite literally absorbs the damage done. Its painful to watch when even divine intervention can't stop the unkillable fuckers.

Yes please! The only thing that damages them is explosives

dareddevil7

Quote from: Diana Winters on May 03, 2016, 07:09:56 PM
EDIT: Also, could we PLEASE get a quickfix for centipedes? I'm not joking when I say even the dev-mode kill command isn't enough to actually stop them, because their armor quite literally absorbs the damage done. Its painful to watch when even divine intervention can't stop the unkillable fuckers.

I think that's the point, but if their armor could break then that might make it so your colonists can hit "squishy-ier" parts

Diana Winters

Quote from: dareddevil7 on May 03, 2016, 07:30:33 PM
Quote from: Diana Winters on May 03, 2016, 07:09:56 PM

I think that's the point, but if their armor could break then that might make it so your colonists can hit "squishy-ier" parts
The problem is that even if I use AP rounds, they won't die'
Even the kill command won't actually kill them :/

AllenWL

The thing is, vanilla bullets have poor armor penetration, even if they happen to be AP rounds.
In fact, I believe the highest caliber 'bullet' in vanilla is the sniper rifle's 51mm(?) NATO rounds, who's AP bullets have a 70% armor penetration.
And a lot of guns, like the pistol, PDW or shotgun, have bullets with armor penetration of around 30% or below, which makes them very useless against mechanoid armor, even if you use 'armor-piercing' rounds.

The charge rifle's concentrated shot with a armor penetration of 90% would be a better choice.

And of course, compared to the 50 BMG's AP rounds which have 110% armor penetration, it's a kinda low value. And not a single vanilla gun uses that ammo. Not one.

So really, in the vanilla game, charge rifles, explosives, or just heck lot of sniper rifles/whatever else uses 51mm NATO(not a lot. I think maybe miniguns?) and a whole lot of luck is needed to kill the centipedes. Because other then explosives, there really aren't any weapons made for fighting heavy armor like the centipedes.

I think NoImageAvailable did say he was going to make a simple weapon mod to go along with combat realism that'll allow you to make use of most of the different ammo and have a easier time fighting mechanoids and such.

Goldenpotatoes

Heres the issue, even with artillery strikes, the bulk of it won't do much damage unless its a DIRECT hit (as in the centipede is in the epicenter of the blast.)

The light shrapnel is pretty much always absorbed by the armor, which usually means enough unlucky artillery hits leaves a blind centipede who can still apparently target (the only unarmored parts are the sensors.) The few bits of 'heavy shrapnel' that come with an artillery hit is the only thing that can actually bypass the armor, but you can't guarantee where they'll hit.

If anything, at least add a more expensive variant of the artillery shell that has bigger shrapnel chunks, which sacrifices AoE potential in exchange for whatever gets hit, gets hit a lot harder.

Krutchen

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on May 03, 2016, 08:11:26 PM
Heres the issue, even with artillery strikes, the bulk of it won't do much damage unless its a DIRECT hit (as in the centipede is in the epicenter of the blast.)

The light shrapnel is pretty much always absorbed by the armor, which usually means enough unlucky artillery hits leaves a blind centipede who can still apparently target (the only unarmored parts are the sensors.) The few bits of 'heavy shrapnel' that come with an artillery hit is the only thing that can actually bypass the armor, but you can't guarantee where they'll hit.

If anything, at least add a more expensive variant of the artillery shell that has bigger shrapnel chunks, which sacrifices AoE potential in exchange for whatever gets hit, gets hit a lot harder.

Once NoImage gets the manned turrets in working condition, i'm gonna go in there and make a few nasty fun things. I could totally see making an anti-tank gun for taking out armoured targets like centipedes, man.

dareddevil7

Quote from: AllenWL on May 03, 2016, 08:02:59 PM
The thing is, vanilla bullets have poor armor penetration, even if they happen to be AP rounds.
In fact, I believe the highest caliber 'bullet' in vanilla is the sniper rifle's 51mm(?) NATO rounds
I've got a 20mm round on my desk, it's like 7 inches long, I thing you're looking for some sort of decimal

Jaxxa

Quote from: dareddevil7 on May 03, 2016, 09:32:02 PM
Quote from: AllenWL on May 03, 2016, 08:02:59 PM
In fact, I believe the highest caliber 'bullet' in vanilla is the sniper rifle's 51mm(?) NATO rounds
I've got a 20mm round on my desk, it's like 7 inches long, I thing you're looking for some sort of decimal

I think the difference is between measuring the Length or Diameter of the Round.

The 7.62x51mm NATO is 51mm long and 7.62 mm wide. While your 20mm Round will be 20mm in Diameter and 7 inches long.

admiralKew

I've got an idea for a later version of the mod. Completing machining should instead open up a gun crafting research option, after which unlocks the ability to craft gun blueprints at a workstation, which would be needed to actually be able to craft guns. So the recipe for the survival rifle would be the standard steel and components, with the addition of the blueprint item (which it would return) when the bill is completed. Additional recipes could also be created so that copies could be made of these blueprints to allow multiple crafters to work on multiple weapons at the same time.

Diana Winters

Quote from: admiralKew on May 03, 2016, 10:53:02 PM
I've got an idea for a later version of the mod. Completing machining should instead open up a gun crafting research option, after which unlocks the ability to craft gun blueprints at a workstation, which would be needed to actually be able to craft guns. So the recipe for the survival rifle would be the standard steel and components, with the addition of the blueprint item (which it would return) when the bill is completed. Additional recipes could also be created so that copies could be made of these blueprints to allow multiple crafters to work on multiple weapons at the same time.

Not sure why you'd want to do that, as you can already craft guns in vanilla now :/