HVAC Layout Examples

Started by amul, December 30, 2014, 06:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParadogsGamer

Ok I have experimented a little with this and seems a single roofless tile next to a cooler is enough to keep it functional.
So if you have a mountain dwelling, for each room, make a one-tile add-on that is not connected to anything else. Put the cooler in between the room and the add-on and make that single tile roofless.

I don't know if that would enable raiders to drop on those single tiles though.

Geertje123

Quote from: ParadogssGamer on January 03, 2015, 10:44:54 AM
Ok I have experimented a little with this and seems a single roofless tile next to a cooler is enough to keep it functional.
So if you have a mountain dwelling, for each room, make a one-tile add-on that is not connected to anything else. Put the cooler in between the room and the add-on and make that single tile roofless.

I don't know if that would enable raiders to drop on those single tiles though.

Unfortunately this is not always possible due to overhead mountain, so that's what the shafts are for

ParadogsGamer

How do you know if an area of mountain has overhead mountain or not before you mine it?

Geertje123

Quote from: ParadogssGamer on January 04, 2015, 06:18:03 AM
How do you know if an area of mountain has overhead mountain or not before you mine it?

Well, apart from sometimes hidden open area's, the inside of all mountains are overhead. Only a few blocks away from the edge is thin roof.

ParadogsGamer

I see. I did my experiment a few blocks from the edge, so maybe that's why it worked.

Thing to consider though. If you did it anyway, and that single tile has overhead mountain, it would heat up to above 100C. Would that be a problem as long as the room is cooled?

Geertje123

Quote from: ParadogssGamer on January 04, 2015, 06:31:13 AM
I see. I did my experiment a few blocks from the edge, so maybe that's why it worked.

Thing to consider though. If you did it anyway, and that single tile has overhead mountain, it would heat up to above 100C. Would that be a problem as long as the room is cooled?

The room wouldn't cool properly anymore if the temperature on the other side is too high. You would need more coolers to give it more strength :)

FridayBiology

Is everyone using "airvents"?

This is my basic mountain colony style, as i rarely bother planning for a +20 colony.
http://youtu.be/YI9dvggbo4Q?list=UUDJc7P6VQ03Vss1G6IQqevg
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

ParadogsGamer

So basically nobody has figures out a way to keep mountain dwellings cool without having air vents going to the outside?

Geertje123

Quote from: Feirfec on January 04, 2015, 09:05:32 AMIs everyone using "airvents"?

I do. My colonists don't really enjoy sleeping in 40 degree Celsius chambers, or -10 in winter.

Quote from: ParadogssGamer on January 04, 2015, 09:11:01 AM
So basically nobody has figures out a way to keep mountain dwellings cool without having air vents going to the outside?

I don't really understand why that is weird. It's like this in real life as well. I think it's fun designing the vent system and checking what the best routes are.

ParadogsGamer

Nobody said it was weird. Just trying to build the best possible fortress.

When the weather outside is hot, the vents would get even hotter wouldn't they?

Geertje123

Quote from: ParadogssGamer on January 04, 2015, 09:53:22 AM
Nobody said it was weird. Just trying to build the best possible fortress.

When the weather outside is hot, the vents would get even hotter wouldn't they?

Nah they wont, if the whole vent is connect to even a single outside block, the whole vent takes the outside temperature, that's why the vents are so ideal :D

ParadogsGamer

So in theory you could just have the main hallway have no door, thus connecting to the outside and it would never overheat no matter how many coolers are spewing hot air into it?

I'm still confused.

Geertje123

Quote from: ParadogssGamer on January 04, 2015, 10:45:23 AM
So in theory you could just have the main hallway have no door, thus connecting to the outside and it would never overheat no matter how many coolers are spewing hot air into it?

I'm still confused.

Yup :D

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Geertje123 on January 04, 2015, 02:59:01 PM
Quote from: ParadogssGamer on January 04, 2015, 10:45:23 AM

I'm still confused.

Yup :D

At least until global warming melts the ice caps :D but we only have that here on Earth. Rimworld would stand another maybe a few hundred years of a single colony spewing out AC heat out of vents before the climate goes out of whack.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

FridayBiology

you could piggy back coolers from internal rooms outward.
exhaust port throwing into a room regulated by another cooler and so on, you'd need a heater at the heart of the base to make it all "work"
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology