game becomes laggy and audio crashes

Started by billycop32, May 18, 2016, 11:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billycop32

Ok, first off if no one else is experiencing this is might be my computer, she is an old 2 GB ram vista computer....so heads up.  :-\

so I've noticed that when I jumped back into rim world, the game was fine, but over time as my game progressed the game's speed is getting worse and worse. a shut down of rim world usually solves the problem for a while, but the additional time I've gotten from save/restart is on a diminishing return.... this last time I got less than 2 minutes before a full audio crash occurred.  :'(

is this my computer being unable to keep up with rim world or could be another issue? thanks for the input.

milon

It sounds like some aspect of the system is unable to keep up.

What other applications/services are running in the background?

Are your drivers (especially graphics) up to date?

What version of RimWorld are you running?

What mods are you running, and in what order?

billycop32

I was letting steam run in background mode, I'll shut it off and try again shortly.

Yes, I performed a update check last night. No new updates.

I'm running version 0.13.1135 rev816

No mods, besides going into core and changing the component assembly bench's production output from 1 to 10 to rebalance it. I didn't mess with anything else.

I'm starting to wonder if my save file has become corrupt somehow, So I'm including it here via WinRAR (side note: No sap parties seem to come to my place anymore :( )
progreso is my colony on the world alcyone, both included.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

billycop32

update: so it turns out it was a combo of both steam running in the background and myself not setting up the job system correctly: my base had a massive dirt issue that I didn't see. once I cleaned everything up the game still encountered lagg spikes, but they aren't bad,and the audio doesn't try to cut out anymore. so problem solved.

milon

I'm glad to hear that it's fixed.  Here's 2 more potential causes of stuttering, just in case:

Another contributor to laggy games is often having a pawn stuck in a wall or forbidden room.  The pawn's AI keeps hammering the system looking for a job to do, which consumes the CPU like nothing else.  Cycle through your pawns with . or , and see if one is stuck.  Animals can cause this too, but their AI doesn't hammer as hard.  ;)

Finally, if you're playing a large colony, having ALL jobs enabled on ALL colonists will eat your computer too.  On a large colony your pawns are pretty much all specialized anyway, so turn off any unnecessary jobs to reduce/eliminate stuttering.

EDIT - I just noticed this thread is locked (doesn't stop mods from posting, of course).  Which is weird because I didn't lock it, so someone else must have.  PM me if you want it opened and I'll unlock it.

billycop32

it was my doing. I figured that sense I had eliminated most of the issue, the topic was over. I also have a habit of locking a topic I created once I consider it closed, as I have served as a moderator on other sites and I hate when someone necros a old topic.

EDIT: i'll leave the topic unlocked for 24 hours this time, then I'll lock it again to prevent necromancy.

milon

Interesting. I didn't realize regular members could lock their own threads. Cool! :)