Are games a Gamma?

Started by TheNewTeddy, February 24, 2015, 04:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNewTeddy

So, before a game is released, before it's officially "done" it is in Beta.
And before it is in Beta it is in Alpha

Therefore
If after Alpha is Beta
Does Gamma follow Beta?

And if so, does that mean officially released games are "In Gamma"
sig

StorymasterQ

I think it's more of like "Ready, Set, Go" and "One, Two, Go", as in the third part is where it goes off and is different from the first two, where you're just getting ready.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Coenmcj

In that regard we could also say that we have Alpha > Beta > Gamma > Delta > Epsilon >Zeta > Eta...
Please don't give them any ideas. This could bring forth a whole new level of mistrust in the early access system.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

StorymasterQ

If we're going with Greek alphabet, I'd say that:
- Alpha is the stage where the game is being constructed. Most work is done in this stage.
- Beta is the stage where the game is being polished. More improvements than introductions of new features.
- The last stage where the game is released is Omega. No more new features, basic improvements released as patches.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

TheNewTeddy

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 24, 2015, 08:32:13 PM
- Alpha is the stage where the game is being constructed. Most work is done in this stage.
- Beta is the stage where the game is being polished. More improvements than introductions of new features.
- The last stage where the game is released is Omega. No more new features, basic improvements released as patches.
you can't just jump all the other letters!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sig

StorymasterQ

Quote from: TheNewTeddy on February 25, 2015, 01:53:48 PM
you can't just jump all the other letters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corsican. I mean, or course I can. Why can't I? We don't want a perpetual beta game, and when a game is out, it's considered 'finished', i.e. Omega, the end.

Coenmcj

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end"
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

vagineer1

Quote from: Coenmcj on February 25, 2015, 08:23:30 PM
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end"

I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life

Fallout 3
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Regret

But then it won't be a pun anymore  :'(

I'ma play a gamma!

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Regret on April 09, 2015, 05:18:02 PM
But then it won't be a pun anymore  :'(

I'ma play a gamma!

We're already playing a gamma! It's a gamma about people crashing on a rim world. It's still an alpha, though. There are plenty other gammas that are out of alpha or even beta. Strategy gammas, role playing gammas, your pick!

longbyte1

Well, there was Planetary Annihilation that went through one last-minute gamma phase just before release, to work out some kinks in the game and obviously to earn revenue before you earn revenue.

Tynan

Yes and the sequel is the delta :D
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog