[1.0] Centralized Climate Control (v1.5.0 - 21st October '18)

Started by coldtoad, July 11, 2017, 06:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloodshifter

Quote from: Mavoc on July 30, 2017, 02:15:36 PM
Also after reading this thread, it seems some of you are placing the full vent inside of rooms instead of replacing a wall tile with them.
As the guy above me states, Wall Vents cause the Raiders to target those sections of the wall first and are relatively easy to destroy and have negative beauty, regular vents are a bit hardier and have less of a beauty impact.

Not to mention better efficiency and power consumption. For a starting base it's a life saver till I get Water Turbines or Steam Generators.

Mavoc

Quote from: bloodshifter on July 30, 2017, 04:32:46 PM
As the guy above me states, Wall Vents cause the Raiders to target those sections of the wall first and are relatively easy to destroy and have negative beauty, regular vents are a bit hardier and have less of a beauty impact.

Not to mention better efficiency and power consumption. For a starting base it's a life saver till I get Water Turbines or Steam Generators.
First off the Wall Vents are the ones that get placed on top of walls, the Regular vents are the ones that replace them. So as for the raiders I think you got your vents backwards.

More importantly, neither vents have any beauty score or power usage.

bloodshifter

Quote from: Mavoc on July 30, 2017, 05:43:36 PM
Quote from: bloodshifter on July 30, 2017, 04:32:46 PM

First off the Wall Vents are the ones that get placed on top of walls, the Regular vents are the ones that replace them. So as for the raiders I think you got your vents backwards.

More importantly, neither vents have any beauty score or power usage.
Wall Vents drop Beauty because they replace the value of the wall. Typically anything above wood gives a positive value.

Secondly the Vents added in the Mod can be placed ANYwhere, so long as a Pipe is adjacent to the Vent. When I get on a computer I'll upload a picture to show.

Mavoc

Quote from: bloodshifter on July 30, 2017, 11:37:34 PM
Wall Vents drop Beauty because they replace the value of the wall. Typically anything above wood gives a positive value.

Secondly the Vents added in the Mod can be placed ANYwhere, so long as a Pipe is adjacent to the Vent. When I get on a computer I'll upload a picture to show.
Just tested it in game, none of the wall sections give beauty, not even gold or jade. Though they do add to the wealth score.

One of the vents can be placed anywhere, the other can only be placed on top of a wall tile.  I never said that the full vents couldn't be placed anywhere in the room, I just asked why would you place them anywhere but in the walls.  My main reason for asking was I don't think the full 1x1 vents are even worth having in this mod as the Wall placed ones are functionally better and it would make more sense to have multiple "Wall Mounted Air Vents" of different strengths and drop the "Air Exhaust Vents". Just having these 2 things that look and sound so different but being basically the same thing at different strengths is just going to cause confusion.

I assume you have conceded that the vents do not use power.

Canute

Ok, the problem is more,
regular vents are impassable and works as wall.
Maybe they should passable so they can't be used as wall anymore, or works like most embrasures which work as impassable walls, but not as temperature isolation.

bloodshifter

Quote from: Mavoc on July 31, 2017, 12:08:09 AM
Quote from: bloodshifter on July 30, 2017, 11:37:34 PM

Just tested it in game, none of the wall sections give beauty, not even gold or jade. Though they do add to the wealth score.

One of the vents can be placed anywhere, the other can only be placed on top of a wall tile.  I never said that the full vents couldn't be placed anywhere in the room, I just asked why would you place them anywhere but in the walls.  My main reason for asking was I don't think the full 1x1 vents are even worth having in this mod as the Wall placed ones are functionally better and it would make more sense to have multiple "Wall Mounted Air Vents" of different strengths and drop the "Air Exhaust Vents". Just having these 2 things that look and sound so different but being basically the same thing at different strengths is just going to cause confusion.

I assume you have conceded that the vents do not use power.
It's likely from my mods then, as my walls DO give Beauty.

Material efficiency. The fact that they are quite fragile. the usual circular nature of things in Rimworld for Greenhouses. Also Wall mounted one can be targeted from the outside as the are simply on a different layer but, still taking the 1x1 cell. Smart placement would get rid of this weakness but, often it's easier to sacrifice a room cell instead.

indeed, I got mixed up with other vents which do use power.

Mavoc

Quote from: bloodshifter on July 31, 2017, 02:43:11 PM
Also Wall mounted one can be targeted from the outside as the are simply on a different layer but, still taking the 1x1 cell. Smart placement would get rid of this weakness but, often it's easier to sacrifice a room cell instead.
Ok, now this hadn't occurred to me.  I never have AC setup anywhere near my defensive walls. What if their was a floor vent that was treated more like a standing lamp as far as space and passability then, that pushed the exhaust into its own tile?

Oblitus

Quote from: Mavoc on July 31, 2017, 06:58:12 PM
Quote from: bloodshifter on July 31, 2017, 02:43:11 PM
Also Wall mounted one can be targeted from the outside as the are simply on a different layer but, still taking the 1x1 cell. Smart placement would get rid of this weakness but, often it's easier to sacrifice a room cell instead.
Ok, now this hadn't occurred to me.  I never have AC setup anywhere near my defensive walls. What if their was a floor vent that was treated more like a standing lamp as far as space and passability then, that pushed the exhaust into its own tile?
Better ceiling then. Ceiling vents are actual thing, after all :)

Mavoc

Quote from: Oblitus on July 31, 2017, 07:00:20 PM
I don't have any mods that add ceiling objects, how do they differ from floor objects? I assume the visuals would be basically the same.

Canute

Mosttimes there isn't much visuals, and you can freely move over/under it, and drop item on that tile.

Oblitus

Quote from: Mavoc on July 31, 2017, 07:49:02 PM
Quote from: Oblitus on July 31, 2017, 07:00:20 PM
I don't have any mods that add ceiling objects, how do they differ from floor objects? I assume the visuals would be basically the same.
Well, they are described as being ceil-mounted, require a roof and don't slow down movement.

Schwartz

The ratio for large CCs to large intake fans is off. For the small version, it's 3:1, for the big version you get: 2 CCs, 4 fans = 116% thermal. 2 CCs, 5 fans = 93%. 2 CCs, 6 fans = 77%. Same with 1 CC, 3 fans. Seeing how they're supposed to be both 5x as powerful, it should still be 3:1 right?

Also, it'd be reasonable to give the larger units more hitpoints I think. When a fire breaks out, they go down fast.

maculator

Hi,
I translated your mod into german. I noticed that the pipenames arent a thing I could change.
Stuff is in attachment.
Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

coldtoad

Thank you so much!

I will release them with the upcoming 1.3.0 update. Probably in next 1-2 weeks.

spincrus

I absolutely love your mod and have been using it since launch. The only gripe I have with it is that all the structures (vents, air intakes, climate control, etc.) are constructable straight from the beginning of the game, and not behind the actual tech that lets you build A/C units. Was this by choice?

(I once complained about a similar thing in another mod, turns out I had God Mod left on, had to swallow all the things I said. This time, I checked though :P)

Cheers!