Modding etiquette questions

Started by Llama Feats, November 10, 2021, 09:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Llama Feats

I'm kind of new to modding, so apologies if this is a silly question. I don't want to mess anything up or make anyone upset. My question(s) is this:

Is it bad to make an addon of sorts to someone else's mod (extra items, hediffs, etc.)? What if I credit them in the mod and description - is it best to state that they can ask me to add it to their mod if they would like? Is it wrong to link to someone else's Patreon/Ko-Fi to credit them? What if they don't have anything on the mod page about using or adding on to the mod (and other people have)? If I need to ask, how can I contact them - what is the best way?

I have thought of plenty of mod ideas today, and some of them are addons, but I want to start working on an addon. I add a credit section on all of my mods.

EDIT: I read that it was okay, but I just want to make sure.

Llama Feats

For clarification, by "add-ons", I mean items and hediffs that use their defs (items, hediffs, custom defs, etc.), given that the person has the required mod installed.

As a bit of an example, let's say that I made a thought def and another hediff that needs one of their hediffs to work.

What if I add a patch that adds compatibility and features from their mod (and others) - should I still ask?

Canute

You allways should check what licence they use for their mod, and what these licence allow.
If you don't know just ask the author about it.

Shinzy

add-ons like this are totally fine!
It's just very considerate to let the author know your addon exists

Llama Feats

Thanks for responding, you two :). I asked them, and they said yes.