Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigon

Quote from: Shurp on February 28, 2017, 10:47:53 PM
What is this "near" nonsense?  Put your dining room *in* the freezer.  Have your smithy *in* the metal stockpile.  Have your crafting spot *in* the smokeleaf stockpile.  And so on.

Yes, my pigs live in my meatlocker (set to -7'C so the poor piggies don't freeze).

I wonder if I could turn my greenhouses into bedrooms... they'd get a huge size bonus.  But anyone asleep at harvest time would get unhappy.
Unless you put them a couple tiles away from the main harvest area, but depending on space constraints it might not be possible. All the same the idea of throwing up cots and living in the greenhouse sounds very appealing. I think there's a RL culture that does something similar.

b0rsuk

(not a tip)
I often make my green thumb colonists live in the greenhouse. It doesn't have a very high room rating, but it fits, it's one of warmest and best protected parts of my colonies. They are also unmolested at night.

travin

To vastly speed up cooking tasks, surround the entire workstations for butchering and cooking with refrigerators and set them to bulk production and refrigerator settings specific to raw meat, cooking ingredients and meals--a different fridge for each type. Object collision isn't enabled for fridges so they walk right past them. Pawns barely have to move for production and given build-to limits, they aren't ever in there long enough to get much upset about it. 2-300 build-to meals done in no time freeing plenty of time for other tasks. As well, with fridges set with the correct priority the cooks don't have to budge for new supplies.

Also build fridges for storing meals next to your dining areas so pawns don't have to waste time finding the meal to eat it. One stop shopping.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

travin

Quote from: Mehni on February 11, 2017, 07:01:22 PM
No. Light does not have any effect on surgery success chance.

Neither do hospital beds or vitals monitors for that matter, all they influence is the treatment quality. Treatment quality for diseases/wounds is different from surgery.
Can't say I agree. I have a room full of beds and the one made from silver is the one all surgery patients go to on their own.

Limdood

What is this "near" nonsense?  Put your dining room *in* the freezer.  Have your smithy *in* the metal stockpile.  Have your crafting spot *in* the smokeleaf stockpile.  And so on.

Yes, my pigs live in my meatlocker (set to -7'C so the poor piggies don't freeze).

I wonder if I could turn my greenhouses into bedrooms... they'd get a huge size bonus.  But anyone asleep at harvest time would get unhappy.
by "near" i mean that my smokeleaf stockpile occupies the standing spot for the crafting spot...same for corpses and butcher table, food and stove, etc.

Also, neat trick i picked up from reading elsewhere to avoid the "observed a corpse" mood from hauling:

IF you store corpses in a stockpile rather than burying or burning (don't feel like it, haven't unlocked cremation, animals eat corpses, etc.).  Only works if you have at least 1 hauling animal.

Make your stockpile for corpses and hide it from sight behind walls and a door.  Set it to ONLY allow corpses.  Set up an allowed zone for all colonists and REMOVE the corpse stockpile from the allowed zone of colonists.  Now set a 1-tile, lower priority stockpile for corpses outside of the corpse room (and IN the colonist allowed area).  Now colonists will haul corpses to the 1 tile low priority corpse stockpile since they're not allowed in the larger corpse room.  The hauling animals however, will then haul the bodies from the lower priority to the higher priority stockpile (that your colonists can't enter).

This is obviously most ideal if you plan on using fresh corpses as food for animals without butchering.

travin

Quote from: Limdood on March 01, 2017, 09:20:03 AM
Now colonists will haul corpses to the 1 tile low priority corpse stockpile since they're not allowed in the larger corpse room. 

It's creative but doesn't seem very practical. It could help a little, I suppose.

Foremost, you can't necessarily be choosey where the dead bodies are. So no matter what high-maintenance lengths you go to to set it up so it works in theory, in reality there's a significant lag time between initiating and completing hauling tasks, if animals even decide to help out. In that significant lag pawns are observing corpses.  That's a lot of effort for so little payoff. I prefer choosing one pawn, hopefully one that doesn't care or sanguine and have them do it.

GiantSpaceHamster

I specifically don't do this because of the huge beauty penalty. It's much easier to keep your colonists happy if you minimize mood penalties, which means avoiding ugly rooms. It's all fine and well as long as your colonists aren't borderline breaking but the whole point of RimWorld is minimizing the sources of problems since you cannot control everything.

jpinard

@travin since most people play without mods your fridge post doesn't exactly help since it's entirely dependent on a mod that is kinda a cheat for the game.

b0rsuk

When there's a siege, don't destroy the mortars if you can avoid it. Once pirates are dead or routed, you can Claim the mortars and reinstall them in your colony.

travin

Quote from: jpinard on March 01, 2017, 06:58:33 PM
@travin since most people play without mods your fridge post doesn't exactly help since it's entirely dependent on a mod that is kinda a cheat for the game.

No, most people don't play without mods and it's not a cheat as the very same thing can be accomplished with a proper zoning config--the small benefit of spotted refrigeration on balance with effort to build, materials and energy consumption, is negligible. At worst it's just a little lazy.

Besides, this is an unqualified thread about sharing tips of all kinds, not specific to any one playing style, so spare us your righteous indignation. Rather than being judgemental, ignoring tips that don't fit with your style of play is an option. And I thank you for doing so. 

Haecriver

Surround ships with walls and let two tiles free. This way you can control where mecanoids will pop up. Then just put 4 IEDs, it will kill every centipedes 8)
'pardon my french'

travin

Quote from: Haecriver on March 02, 2017, 08:18:39 AM
Surround ships with walls and let two tiles free. This way you can control where mecanoids will pop up. Then just put 4 IEDs, it will kill every centipedes 8)

This idea makes me feel stupid for not having thought it.  ;)

Miridor

Quote from: Haecriver on March 02, 2017, 08:18:39 AM

I think that's actually one for the 'exploit' category.

travin

I once had a small colony where all but one pawn got the plague and then a dry lightning storm hit, fire everywhere and all wooden walls on the base. I found out the hard way you can successfully fight a fire with grenades.

travin

Use the cover of a rainstorm at night to hunt a pack of sleeping boomalopes