Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 10, 2017, 04:20:57 PM
You can make a bold claim about something you're not 100% sure about and people will fall over themselves to correct you and give you precise information. See my post about colony animals not being attacked by manhunters.
Actually....

Brutetal

You can make a bold claim about something you're not 100% sure about and people will fall over themselves to correct you and give you precise information. See my post about colony animals not being attacked by manhunters.

I guess you're being ironic there.
If it sounded mean or offending, I humbly apologise.
Just wanted to add a bit of a cherry on top of the cream ;)

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Brutetal on March 10, 2017, 04:02:05 PM
Quote from: grrizo on March 10, 2017, 02:44:41 PM
This one is pretty obvious, but if you're obsessed with mortars like me, the most efficent way to install them is in a "cross shape" way around a 5x5 room in the center, which serves as a shell depo. 4 autodoors for fast deployment.

Actually it's much more simple to just plow down a "+"  with walls, then place an equipment rack on each "end" of the walls.
You have up to 200 mortar shells per deployment this way, which is enough and the walking distances are zero if you put the "seat" adjacent to the racks ;)
And for maximum ammo storage, you can use 2 equipment racks next to each seat.  Post a screenshot of your setup and make sure to remind everyone that you are dedicated to the efficient extermination of your enemies.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

travin

I believe that should be posted in the exploits thread.

;D

dragonalumni

Make a wall and a roof around your thermal vents, then add a "T" way path to the thermal vent. For example the top left of the T goes into the vent, the right half of the T leads to an unroofed area with a door in front of it the bottom of the T goes into your living area. Now, in the middle of Spring you will want to hold open that door that leads to the unroofed area to let the heat out and close the door at the bottom of the T to keep your base cool. In autumn you will reverse the doors to let the air into your base and close the unroofed area door.

Regarding an early tip, IMHO, 99.9% your animals are in fact safe from man hunter packs and usually I think when they get more then a scratch it's because of a pathing collision.

b0rsuk

If your biome is quite warm, the first thing you should do is stash your synthread jackets (if any) and save them for raids. Especially if you have melee colonists. Synthread has a very good sharp damage resistance multiplier, and normal jackets offer 18% sharp resistance.

Clothing that has 18% resistance is very hard to get early, and early on raids are quite pathetic, so there's no point wearing those sturdy jackets away. Devilstrand is only a bit better than synthread. Plant some cotton for replacement jackets.

The difference between resistance offset and resistance multiplier is that offset is added to pieces of apparel, while multiplier is mutliplied by that piece of apparel's base value. Clothes like pants, shirts have poor base value, so synthread doesn't give them much. You can stash shirts if you want, too, only women get 'unhappy nuddity' penalty for not wearing a shirt. If you really want to optimize, craft cotton tribalwear. It covers everything, is cheap, and lets you save even pants for raids.

The downside of this approach is that social fights can catch you off guard.

EnricoDandolo

Not sure if anyone already posted this but
This is for early-game, when you have no freezers, and for when your storage is full.
If you have a Camel or a Muffalo, theres a caravan trick you can do. Form a caravan, put tons of food onto the Muffalo, leave only three days worth of food in your stockpiles.
Cancel the Caravan, make sure not to unload the Muffalo, the food will never spoil and as long as you repeat this you'll never have to use a freezer.

XeoNovaDan

Quite an easy one and I'm not sure if anybody else has mentioned this, but don't be afraid to have everything in one room (bar storage) to begin with.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Shurp on March 10, 2017, 05:04:12 PM
Quote from: b0rsuk on March 10, 2017, 05:39:30 AM
Minigun, not scyther blades, is the ultimate 'melee' weapon! What you see is a result of a *single* volley fired from 1 tile away.

The image you posted looks almost exactly like the Marine from Doom carrying a chainsaw... with similar results!!!

Be very, very afraid to attack a minigunner in melee.

XeoNovaDan

Yeah, forced miss radius is a wonderful thing at 1 tile... surprised they don't shoot backwards!

b0rsuk

To designate wild plants for harvesting only when they're fully mature, mark them with a growing zone (any) and disallow sowing.

If you land in a cold biome, make an effort to clear snow in your base or activity will slow down to a crawl. If you land in tropical rainforest, tall grass slows you down a lot, so cut plants, and even better build walkways between buildings.

grrizo

Quote from: Brutetal on March 10, 2017, 04:02:05 PM
Quote from: grrizo on March 10, 2017, 02:44:41 PM
This one is pretty obvious, but if you're obsessed with mortars like me, the most efficent way to install them is in a "cross shape" way around a 5x5 room in the center, which serves as a shell depo. 4 autodoors for fast deployment.

Actually it's much more simple to just plow down a "+"  with walls, then place an equipment rack on each "end" of the walls.
You have up to 200 mortar shells per deployment this way, which is enough and the walking distances are zero if you put the "seat" adjacent to the racks ;)
Now that's smart!
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Hans Lemurson

Put some damn Pants on!
  • Pila Base Damage: 30
  • Leg HP: 30
    This message brought to you by the "Society for One-Legged Tribesmen"
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

b0rsuk

When uploading a Rimworld savegame, compress it. For such files, common zip reduces file size almost 20x.

dragonalumni