Colony Policies

Started by Voyager, August 06, 2016, 06:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

To add more flavor to colonies, perhaps cater to a specific play style, I think that colony policies should be added on embark. These policies should have negative and positive effects, and significantly alter gameplay.

For example: Sadistic: No mood penalties for performing surgeries on prisoners - Prisoner recruitment chance lowered
                    Animal Worship: Animal taming and training rates increased - cannot hunt animals
                    Tunnelers: 15% Mining rate bonus
                    Communal Farming: All settlers can grow crops

Some of these policies should be available on embark, and some of these perks should be unlocked through gameplay(for example, the Sadistic perk should be unlocked through excessive prisoner surgery)

Having these policies will add a lot of flavor to the game, and allow some really wacky crap to happen.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

SpaceDorf

Thank you for this wonderful suggestion :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

LouisTBR

Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

JesterHell

Quote from: Voyager on August 06, 2016, 06:22:53 PM
To add more flavor to colonies, perhaps cater to a specific play style, I think that colony policies should be added on embark. These policies should have negative and positive effects, and significantly alter gameplay.

For example: Sadistic: No mood penalties for performing surgeries on prisoners - Prisoner recruitment chance lowered
                    Animal Worship: Animal taming and training rates increased - cannot hunt animals
                    Tunnelers: 15% Mining rate bonus
                    Communal Farming: All settlers can grow crops

Some of these policies should be available on embark, and some of these perks should be unlocked through gameplay(for example, the Sadistic perk should be unlocked through excessive prisoner surgery)

Having these policies will add a lot of flavor to the game, and allow some really wacky crap to happen.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I don't think you should be able to just change the way your colonist think about an action (remove penalties for performing surgeries on prisoners) because your colonist aren't mindless drones and should not just conform to whatever the player wants during play.

I actual want the colonist personality (traits) system to be expand and made more complex with colonist voting for a mayor and for there to be colony laws internal "criminals" and "justice" systems

However I do think that this could be a scenario setting and it already is to a degree.

kragnfroll

Tunnelers can be done with the scenario editor
You can also add a trait to everyone in the game, so the "Sadistic"  and "Animal Worship" can almost be done.

So policies activated at start is only scenario editor improvement, and it's always a good idea.

Now for dynamic unlock of some traits, I'm not sure about it.

If you're torturing all your prisonners, you are suddenly changing a huge mood debuff to a free organs party. Every one changing is mind in the colony seems weird for me, and I do not want that kind if things.

Your dynamic policies look like adding or removing traits for each pawn in your colony, when it's not yet possible to do this for only one colonist.