Neutroamine Manufacturing

Started by vzoxz0, September 27, 2018, 05:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzoxz0

It has always bugged me that Nutramine is under "manufactured" when there is no way of manufacturing it in the game.

Chemfuel combined with devilstrand seems like a logical choice -- requiring a significant amount of investment in time (growing the devilstrand), research (chemfuel refining, devilstrand, nutramine refining), and construction materials (refinery as capital investment, devilstrand and chemfuel as producton materials). Could be created at existing refineries.

Kangoshi

It is manufactured, just not by you. ;)
I think there must be something left in the game, that you can't do. Otherwise you don't need to trade at all. Trade already is bad as it is. Imo.

vzoxz0

I'm not saying it shouldn't take a lot of resources and effort to manufacture your own nutramine, but why is the idea of being self-sufficient bad?

Trading has other benefits like gaining good relationships with other factions that will help you. I trade a lot, even when playing on difficulties where price modifiers are pretty punishing to your bottom line.

AileTheAlien

Easier solution: put the word "archotech" somewhere in the description for Neutroamine, and imply that it can only be made by hyper-advanced AIs. :)

vzoxz0

Industrial societies can make this kind of thing, though... It's not some magical wizard powder, and the research required to make use of it is pretty immense. I just don't see any valid reason, balance-wise or lore-wise, that neutroamine can't be produced by the player. It doesn't break anything, and even a simple recipe like "1 chemfuel and 1 devilstrand" would cost what, 6-7 silver to produce?

I don't even mind if it cost more money to produce (since it's small scale) than it sells for, it'd just be nice to have the option of reliable neutroamine if you have the required research and buildings.

Griphaha

There are a few mods to solve this problem. I personally don't like moving far from vanilla myself., but it's odd to me swell.  Maybe he is waiting for the initial release? He just might not have thought of a way to implement it yet.  Anyway, there is one MOD I can't find that uses boomalops and boomers which I think is perfect.  I modified my version of the mod to balance it out. I would post it but I not going to go on a hunt to find the mods and see what his terms are...  Just know there are mods that FIX this.  If you do end up getting the mod I talked about, for balancing, I'd suggest changing the days to 25 to and make the boomaloops produce 24 while boomrats produce 8.

Bobisme

if neutroamine then why not luciferium, neutroamine is the only thing i buy from traders plus glitter world, the rest i can make and luci drops regularly enough. With my income i have roughly 1100 neutro' in stock for making penoxy and meds, would be nice to be able to make it but personally i don't need it..

Perhaps it could work like the infinite chemreactor popping out neutroamine every few days, requiring devil strand and chem fuel to fuel it, not only do you have to wait for the devil strand to grow but you have to wait for the reactor, buildable.

~The neutroamine refinery, a small scale variant of a glitter world industry. Reverse engineered by a rimworld engineering doctor. Cost effective but slow to produce, a sort after, expensive machine.

(I think it should require more than just chem fuel and devilstrand, perhaps also  herbal meds or something..
sounds too easy :D

vzoxz0

Luciferium is a super-advanced, nanotechnology based "drug".

Neutroamine is a basic chemical precursor. Non-glitterworlds can clearly produce it or all its resultant drugs would be glitterworld drugs as well.

AileTheAlien

Just because the precursor is glitterworld tech, doesn't mean the products would also be glitterworld levels. Maybe neutroamine combines with regular household chemicals in ways that aren't completely known - they just know that if you add certain other chemicals, they combine with it to form dangerous drugs.

Third_Of_Five

Here's an idea for a compromise:

What if you could manufacture Neutroamine, but the facility needed to do so could not be constructed conventionally? You would have to obtain it the same way you'd get the infinite chemfuel reactor or the vanometric power cell. "Neutroamine Refinery" would be one more of those special rare items that you'd have to go out on a quest for.

vzoxz0

Again... there is no indication in the description, or even from the usage, or the prevalence, that neutroamine is "glitterworld".

It's just a chemical compound. There's no reason this has to be super advanced or difficult to come by. It should just cost high capital and time investment to get production up and running.

Griphaha

I agree with you, it just something to make meds and drugs...  You can make them but not that?

Zombra

Disagree.  I also thought it was weird at first but have since come to enjoy the idea.

* It's good for the game to have a hard, persistent incentive for trading.

* It's perfectly fine within the lore to have synthetics that just can't be manufactured in a Robinson Crusoe colony.  There are plenty of chemical elements you can't just dig out of the ground.  It's also neat story-wise to have secret recipes out there that you can't unravel just by staring at a bench for a few hours.

Limdood

It seems an odd choice....there are tons of items that player's can't produce in the game, but almost every other PRODUCTION LINE item in the game is able to be made by the player.  I can't really think of one that isn't able to be manufactured by the player.

It's odd certainly that THIS is the only crafting line object that isn't able to be homegrown...but it's not necessarily bad.  Non-craftables gate a large number of the things in the game....neurotrainers, resurrection serums, vanometric cells, AIs, top-end bionics.  This is just a more commonly used, but also more commonly available item that has to be traded for.

vzoxz0

QuoteIt's good for the game to have a hard, persistent incentive for trading.

Medicine can be made, yet I doubt most people actually produce medicine. It's so much easier to buy it when you trade. The point is that you have the choice.

QuoteIt's perfectly fine within the lore to have synthetics that just can't be manufactured in a Robinson Crusoe colony.  There are plenty of chemical elements you can't just dig out of the ground.  It's also neat story-wise to have secret recipes out there that you can't unravel just by staring at a bench for a few hours.

Remind me again, what is Robinson Crusoe about a colony that can manufacture stimulants, combat pharmaceuticals, charge rifles, power armor, advanced research facilities, defensive automated FOF (friend-or-foe) enabled turrets, and a ducking space ship?

QuoteNon-craftables gate a large number of the things in the game....neurotrainers, resurrection serums, vanometric cells, AIs, top-end bionics.  This is just a more commonly used, but also more commonly available item that has to be traded for.

Honestly there is no real reason not to let a player produce those (at incredible cost) either, but as you said, neutroamine doesn't do anything by itself, and it doesn't have any of the special properties those other things do. Using it requires research in itself.

I highly doubt people would just stop trading if they could produce neutroamine. A lot of people probably wouldn't want to invest in the infrastructure required to make it, or the research (at least for a good long while).