Berserk colonists need non lethal solution

Started by prototype2001, July 23, 2016, 09:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Lightzy on July 25, 2016, 10:42:13 PM
You can easily be killed by 1 good punch. Never mind 3-4. Though I suppose for gameplay balance reasons....

but don't you have a "attempt arrest" ability with drafted pawns? where you can try to arrest the berzerker?  I never tried it, but perhaps if you get 3 ppl on 1 guy you can restrain him to a bed or something without taking/doing too much damage.

This is true, and reflects the fighting skill of the person throwing the punches.
But the same kind of skills applies to taking someone down without hurting.

I can understand the notion that ranged non-lethal take downs would be overpowered in gaining colonists, but in close combat, especially against allies there should be the option for something that every damn cop in the world is trained to do !

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

9ofSpades

Perhaps just have an effect added to the game where colonists melee attacking a berserk colonist will not inflict lethal wounds? Or perhaps inflict them at a lower rate. It wouldn't have to even be something we as a user control. Just the fact that they are apart of your faction could trigger a less lethal response. If your friend is loosing his mind your response is not going to be kill him, at least not at first. So a colonist would naturally try to neutralize their friend in a less harmful way.

This would require some tweeking on many levels. Not exactly sure how it would be done though....

ToXeye

I think it would be nice to have some kind of targeting system a bit like the pipboy from fallout (ie the VATs system from fallout 3 and 4). Every kind of "race" would have its own targeting system.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

SpaceDorf

I would be totally content with a priority system.

Like the response to attack system is now implemented. Flee, Fight, Ignore

There could be Kill, Wound, Capture/Subdue ( with the last one being melee only )

With kill being the combat as it is now,
Wound would slow down the cooldown to express the longer aim time, but would reduce the killshot percentage
Capture/subdue would be for melee trying to k.o the enemy which would be heavily influenced by the weapon carried.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Vagabond

I think the real issue is that the system suggests that our colonists, and humans in general, are a bunch of fragile and unstable individuals. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the mental/emotional aspects of the game. However, there should be a wider spectrum of bonuses and penalties to colonist happiness and unhappiness. As it stands, humans seem to have been all raised in some feminist liberal society composed of individuals with some form of depression or anxiety disorder.

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: Vagabond on July 28, 2016, 12:04:23 AM
I think the real issue is that the system suggests that our colonists, and humans in general, are a bunch of fragile and unstable individuals. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the mental/emotional aspects of the game. However, there should be a wider spectrum of bonuses and penalties to colonist happiness and unhappiness. As it stands, humans seem to have been all raised in some feminist liberal society composed of individuals with some form of depression or anxiety disorder.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you here, but that's a bit of a cheap shot that really can't go anywhere productive.

I agree with the suggestions for non-lethal takedowns being the default approach for subduing friendlies, and I'd even make it an option for trying to take hostiles alive. Maybe a Social check to get a sufficiently wounded/outnumbered enemy to surrender?

cultist

Quote from: Vagabond on July 28, 2016, 12:04:23 AM
As it stands, humans seem to have been all raised in some feminist liberal society composed of individuals with some form of depression or anxiety disorder.

I know it's standard internet behavior (sigh) to equate the words "liberal" and "feminism" with "horrible", but at least try to imagine you are discussing with real people who may not share your opinions.

ToXeye

It would probably make sense to add the following two at the same time:

Slots: Ranged Slot, Melee Slot, Grenade Slot

Called shots: Legs Shot, Arms Shot, Head Shot, Torso Shot...
--||-- strikes: as per above
N/A throws: grenades can't be called shots

I think the game is not close enough that it can emulate subduing techniques (unless the pawns are supposed to dance around each other like expert dodgers from dwarf fortress)

I have another idea: Make strikes visible, so that melee weapons show up properly in swings and thrusts. This could come together with a parrying/shielding system. The way this would work is that the graphics are coincidental with each other, stacking up in advance if there's a dodge, strike, etc...

Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

ToXeye

So how would what I mentioned fit with other suggestions?

Tazers, Clubs, Sleep Gas

It fits pretty snugly there, with the different weapon slots.

Want to have a weapon that doesn't fit into any of the slots because you want one of each plus this one? Just add a slot for "inactive" weapons, which is basically just a way to store more weapons on one character.

*added* Still, martial arts like judo would be nice.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\