[Playable WIP] Battle Rattle: Functional Holsters, Rucksacks, First-Aid, & More

Started by Famous Shoes, March 03, 2015, 02:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Shoes

Just a note to say tax season has put me a bit behind on mod development, but I'll be starting to update this for A10 in the next few days. Now wouldn't be a horrible time to throw in any suggestions or requests.

Master Bucketsmith

Awesome.

I was pointed to a mod someone made; https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11933.0
I was about to suggest maybe adding in something similar, since it would be in the same spirit, but I don't want anyone to steal the person's hard work. :P

Famous Shoes

Quote from: Bucketsmith on April 17, 2015, 05:04:31 AM
I was pointed to a mod someone made; https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11933.0

Thank you! I've been looking at that mod (Things for Haul) to figure out a workaround for EdB Prepare Carefully's dislike of the new Accessory apparel layer. Haven't found it it yet, but it must be in there somewhere.

Things for Haul looks like a great mod and I think it and Battle Rattle would be good to use together. If you've any ideas for how to make Battle Rattle better when played with Things for Haul, please let me know!

Famous Shoes

I've uploaded release 2015.04.19-01 that's compatible with Alpha 10c:
https://github.com/Famous-Shoes/Battle-Rattle/releases

Known issues:

Project Status
I've kept this in Unfinished because, in my mind, the lack of graphics makes it too incomplete to face the wrath kind consideration of players such as myself. Other than that, you should consider it a released mod and yell and holler about any bugs, playability issues, missing features and missed opportunities, or incompatibilities with other mods you find! Feel free to report those on GitHub or in this thread as you prefer.

BBream

Splendid! How could you done it all? Looks professional.

I think you are searching for extra apparel slot. I looked around your github and inventory is also not solution. Then I think you can make new class "apperal hub" inherited Apperal. You may know ThingWithComp has comp for extension. Like this, you can make apperal hub. pawn wear this hub and add extra apperal in this hub. In the hub, It should add extra gizmo or verb.

Extra apperal might not displayed in gear itab. So you can display it in gizmo panel.
This is example of personal shield panel. I think extra apperal can be displayed this panel.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10974.msg109349#msg109349

Famous Shoes

Thanks for those ideas @BBream; they're both good ones--out of the box thinking is what I need to be doing here! But, maybe the Accessory slot in A10 will be good enough for a while (if I can figure out how to make it slide by with Prepare Carefully loaded.)

Famous Shoes

Changes in EdB Prepare Carefully 1.8.3 fixed the incompatibility with this. No new release of Battle Rattle (just make sure you're on EdB PC 1.8.3 or newer.)

Nimrod

Quote from: Famous Shoes on March 15, 2015, 06:45:48 PM
... , still have to figure out the "Commonality" insanity, and then testing.

Did you ever figure this out? I would very much like to know how it works exactly :D

cheers

Famous Shoes

I did not @Nimrod, sorry. And I'd still like to know how I can reduce the appearance of items, so if you ever come across something, do post back, perhaps in the scarcity thread in help: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11491.msg115277 (as will I should I stumble on it.)

Nimrod

Quote from: Famous Shoes on May 15, 2015, 08:35:00 PM
I did not @Nimrod, sorry. And I'd still like to know how I can reduce the appearance of items, so if you ever come across something, do post back, perhaps in the scarcity thread in help: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11491.msg115277 (as will I should I stumble on it.)

Will do! Lets keep on looking then ... :D

Famous Shoes

I've not updated this for A11 only because the last few alphas haven't gone in directions I was interested in (so I've no natural way to play test my changes), other critical (for me) mods are not being updated (for much the same reason I'm given to understand,) and I'm not sure anyone else is using this mod besides me.

If even one person would like to use this on A11, I'd be more than happy to update it, just drop a note here; otherwise I'll probably let it sit on the shelf for a few more alphas, i.e., until I see some work going in towards the first principles of the gameā€”the focus on more and more details of existing mechanics has left me a bit unexcited to say the least. But, I always was a the-glass-is-completely-empty-and-my-god-we're-all-going-to-die kinda person, so don't let that dissuade you from chiming in if you'd like A11 Battle Rattle.

nmid

This most definitely looks great and I'm sure I would love having this.
Not running to the Armory to gear up when raiders come visiting would be cool.

As asked on the 1st page about layers + you being pointed to the Haul mod, I hope this mod doesn't stop my colonists from wearing their regular stuff / can carry 'extra' stuff?

If you are short on time, then don't make an A11 mod right now.. I just wanted to leave a comment, so I can keep an eye on this WIP thread and check in when something new comes up.

Thank you for your effort and the concept!

Btw, what were the critical mods in your opinion? I cam back after last playing A4 and I was sad to see that BetterPower+ was no longer there, but with all the new power options, it was not too hard for me to carry on :).
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Famous Shoes

Thanks @nmid! My critical mods are anything by EdB, the "Core" mod (I don't know who makes that one, but it's fantastic!), Combat Realism, Darkness, Pawn State Icons, and probably one or two others I'd only remember after getting a ways into a play through (it's been a few months, so I'm getting fuzzy on what's what.) Note, those are only criticals, not essentials--probably another twenty or so I'd really miss, e.g., Apparello, Auto Hunt, Mechanical Defense, Redist Heat, Winter is Here, and so on.

I've started updating the mod for A11; it compiles and loads without error. I think I'll wait for the first A11 patch from Ludeon before I do a full round of testing and bug-fixing and also test and fix all the dynamic mod-compatibility stuff. If you can't wait and want to see if you can go three seconds or just two before this crashes your game, it's at the usual place:

https://github.com/Famous-Shoes/Battle-Rattle/releases

Famous Shoes

@nmid I realized I forgot to answer your question about interference with clothing. I'm afraid that, as far as I can tell, clothing layers are still hard-coded and not moddable in A11, i.e., I can't add a new layer just for holsters nor can I make apparel stack dynamically. But, most items in Battle Rattle use the Accessory layer, which is not typically used by clothing and so shouldn't interfere with most of what your characters would be wearing. In case you're curious, we're given OnSkin, Middle, Shell, Accessory, and Overhead to work with.

Since you mention the Haul mod, I should say that I did try using non-apparel solutions for carrying weapons and such early on in development, but again there's enough hard-coding to work-around that I just ended up with glitchy holsters and packs that mostly worked, but couldn't be made to completely work in an intuitive manner.

nmid

ty for replying.. my laptop is giving me some problems, so I have paused my A11colony (rather unimaginatively called A11Core) for now...
I'll get to playing this the coming weekend and try out your mod with it too.

I did hope clothing layers was moddable, but hopefully a few alphas down the line :) Till then, I'll be happy with your accessory usage.

I also use all the Edb mods - interface, prepare carefully are a must have for me.. can't play without them, MISC, darkness - which is awesome (hated it at start, now can't play without it), PSI, autohunt, waiting on LT heat, waiting on hospitality, Industrialisation...Apparello is fun, esp the A11 one with it's nicely sorted sub-menus, Epoe ... but most importantly, FAST FLOORS!!.
I think I was the 1st person to talk about it during A4 days, made it for myself, but never released a public version.. thought it wasn't good enough :D
and yes.. the RT Storage mod with Quantum stockpiles. Would go crazy without it.
VeinMiner and Roofsupport are nice.. I can play without them, but I like having them. Backstories too. These are most of my mods in my A11Core world :)

Ps - Lol, I also thank whoever made the mod called Core.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ