Animal Incest - ?

Started by ttoocs, July 21, 2016, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttoocs

So, I was reading somewhere in the wiki, that People can do insest..

However my lovely chickens, once their daddy gets eaten, well, now I get no more chickens, regardless of having plenty of hens/males...

My ideal solution: Make these attributes that can be set (per pawn, or policies), I was looking about the Defs and couldn't find anything (Although, I may have just missed it, at which case, ignore everything I said.)
Bonus points: An 'Operation' for artificial insemination. (A 2-part operation, collect and deposit.)

mumblemumble

I really agree, and think this was a silly change : puppy mills commonly use incest, its not exactly a shock. I see absolutely no reason why animals would straight up not do incest, especially since this can, like said above, crush livestock production if they simply refuse to breed.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

skinicism

I would like a flaming shark-nado (like a tornado but composed of

flaming sharks trying to be incestuous).

Wex

This is the point. Animals don't refrain from incest. They have no idea of the concept.
But this will stop your animal production.
Taming isn't useful anymore.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

theapolaustic1

Quote from: Wex on July 21, 2016, 10:55:54 PM
This is the point. Animals don't refrain from incest. They have no idea of the concept.
But this will stop your animal production.

Yeah it is, it's useful to get your initial specimens for a population of a native species. Just like always. The animal handling skill is still used for training intelligent beasts though, so one function serves one purpose and another serves another purpose.

whoishigh

Quote from: Wex on July 21, 2016, 10:55:54 PM

This. The only real change here is that players need to micromanage the shit out of their domesticated animals - no small feat unless we start making spreadsheets of which breeding pair produced a given offspring to ensure we aren't left with relatives. I get that this was intended to balance domestication against hunting, but I feel like the sheer amount of food animals consume does that well enough.

keylocke

agreed with all comments above.

i therefore conclude to change the subject of this topic into animal wincest and why a wincest fried chicken is still a good chicken.

SpaceDorf

Well thats an easy one ..
every fried chicken is a good chicken ..

On the other hand, I don't get why this makes taming not usefull anymore ?
It has nothing to do with the sex live of your animal stocks.

And if you have two base breeding pairs this should prevent the problem.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Wex

Yes, but the increment in A13 was exponential. In A14 is linear. This will grind the animal based economy to an halt.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

SpaceDorf

Well this sucks.

None of my A14 colonys survived long enough to see this, though. :(

Crap .. I should have kept two male ostriches :( :(
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

MuffaloDiver

Genetic deterioration is far, far less of an issue for animals than humans.  Farmers tend to only keep one stud animal for their entire herd/flock for that reason. 

Not sure why this change was made for 14 and didn't realize the change had been made until a heard moved in and I had already tamed the females and slaughtered all but one male. I have a semi-successful muffalo heard, but once the tiny ones grow up I have to pray that a new heard wanders into the map.

iskillzi

I support this, if the goal is to balance taming vs hunting for food then maybe make the time for animals to be born longer, rather than removing incest.

newcadence

I don't think you need to micromanage your chickens as much as occasionally buy some new fathers to have sex with your daughters.

Casazzo

^^ this.

Taming is just as usefull as ever. Just tame/keep/buy a out-of-the generation male pet and bang-bang-born it goes.

Protip: Wild boars!