[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimrue

Quote from: Tammabanana on March 08, 2017, 07:10:24 AM
Quote from: Facepunch on March 08, 2017, 12:02:35 AM
Would it be difficult to modify the age at which children become full colonists? I'm a pretty big fan of realism, but I've only had one colony go on for 14 years.

What happens at the 14-year-old-rollover, anyway? All my 4-13 year-olds have been able to do all the chores; I haven't had a chance to playtest the rollover process yet.

Pretty sure they age up at 13. I have had 3 turn 13 so far. They gain a third attribute and an adult pawn body. 2 ended up with bloodlust. What can I say? My colony had a tough start. :/

Rue

Rimrue

Having played some more, I have another thought/suggestion: child-friendly painkillers. I hate seeing the poor little things in pain, but also don't feel right giving them addictive drugs. LOL

I had a thought to add smokeleaf oil to the game since it is non-addictive, but has painkilling properties. I have no idea about how coding works, but I posted a suggestion on the main mod board on how it would work in game to keep it (mostly) balanced:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30977.0

I'm thinking, though, it probably should still have some long-term health effects. Maybe kidney or liver damage? Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any serious side effects for it's real life counterpoint. LOL

Anyway, hope that helps! :)

Rue

Rocket_Raccoon

Going to start a new try with the latest version, last version i used was .d if i remember correct.
Excited to see the changes :)
€: is it save-game compatible?

Thirite

@Rimrue
Hmm, interesting thought but it's sort of outside the mod's intended content goal.

@metky
Heh, at least to begin with growth vats will only support using gene samples, but it would be nice functionality to be able to put in an already developed child.

@thedarkclaw
I didn't intentionally add any 'Tale' related code, but I believe for the surgeries it should work just from base game code. I do plan to add such detail later on.

Kolljak

2 things ive noticed. prisoner children have issues with being fed sometimes. and incompatabilities with MAI's from haplo's robots and robots ++ head goes missing tho that might be a incompatability with bodyshapes mod also ill try to figure it out.

effects on mai.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=882715765 

code thrown. ignore the version missmatch misc items is not registered and its version isnt set yet.

https://gist.github.com/2d649ec7d2bf70a1c7c4c2a756be0595

hope u can find a fix or workaround or any help.

auamoti

rimworld sorta sucks in regards to pawn awareness.   Pawn A + B will be married or whatnot, Pawn C will romantically advance on B right in front of A.   This event is not logged, A has no reaction, A and C are still best friends or whatever.    this is rimworld, in its current state - and being such its impossible to suggest that C&P might consider adding a reaction to events such as B + C having a child when A + B are married (or lovers, etc).   

lack of pawn believability is the factor most limiting my further interest in the rimworld experience.

Ruisuki

^Psychology might be related to that in a way. Some pawns are polyamorous, others romantics etc

Juno413

Hey, really cool mod. I don't know if anyone suggested this yet; but, for the age issue I think there's a somewhat "simple," lore-friendly solution. Vat grown people are a reality in Rimworld, so what if you made a vat? You place the kid in it, and, for every use, it does the command "Make one year older" that can be found in the tools section. I feel like that would allow those who want to accelerate growth to do so, while allowing others to have their children age naturally. Again, sorry if this is repetition (I tried looking through older posts, and now I certainly don't even the odd attention you've gotten xD). Anyways, I look forward to future updates. Good luck!

Dragoon

Quote from: Juno413 on March 15, 2017, 08:10:41 PM
Hey, really cool mod. I don't know if anyone suggested this yet; but, for the age issue I think there's a somewhat "simple," lore-friendly solution. Vat grown people are a reality in Rimworld, so what if you made a vat? You place the kid in it, and, for every use, it does the command "Make one year older" that can be found in the tools section. I feel like that would allow those who want to accelerate growth to do so, while allowing others to have their children age naturally. Again, sorry if this is repetition (I tried looking through older posts, and now I certainly don't even the odd attention you've gotten xD). Anyways, I look forward to future updates. Good luck!

That sounds like a fantastic way, of balancing it. I would still like to see cloning vats. As I think that's what "True" vat grown people are. I can't think of how to balance that though. Maybe, they can't be used till adulthood/teenagerdom?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Xena

Quote from: Dragoon on March 16, 2017, 03:07:20 AM
Quote from: Juno413 on March 15, 2017, 08:10:41 PM

That sounds like a fantastic way, of balancing it. I would still like to see cloning vats. As I think that's what "True" vat grown people are. I can't think of how to balance that though. Maybe, they can't be used till adulthood/teenagerdom?

I believe the OP has mentioned this in previous comments as well as the "To Do" list in the first post

Dragoon

Quote from: Xena on March 16, 2017, 03:04:59 PM
I believe the OP has mentioned this in previous comments as well as the "To Do" list in the first post

Well My post was for a way to balance it out.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

geojak

hi, i am using your mod since 1 year ingame and after one of my couples got i little baby i decided to put the mother on contraceptice becuase i like my colony to follow a one child policy to prevent overpopulation (and therefore slowdown)

now the Women just got pregnant again, while the contraceptice buff on the health tab shows also up and is on.
seems like a bug to me

edit: the father was also on contraceptives when the pregnancy showed up. (does pregnancy show up right after it started or is it for some time invisivle. maybe they used it to late?)

on more note: so far i have only got to the stage of babys. they are just lying in bed all day and need to be feeded. feels a bit plain. needs some more interaction with parents and wardens. a least a play with baby for joy job for wardens.

also couldnt find a cript so i can put the baby in the paretns room. so far it is still lying in my hospital bed and i cant find a way to move it

anyway great mod. hopefully one day in the base game. looking forward to your  updates

Xena

geojak, I believe that the pregnancy shows up a short time after contraception has occurred.  Also, the baby will stay in the hospital bed for two months/seasons or so.  I usually like to put a TV in the hospital room/wherever the baby is :)

Juno413

Quote from: Dragoon on March 16, 2017, 03:07:20 AM

Hey, I was thinking over that issue a little bit and I think it all depends on what you want out of cloning. If you want a one for one, all skill levels all passions, then I'd probably think a debuff to learning would be appropriate. Meaning that, yes, you cloned a Skill 10 shooter, but their learning rate is capped at 1/3 or 1/2 (which would reduce the full passion advantage to a normal, un-passionate rate). Or, if you cloned passions but not skill levels, then you could play with the idea of acclamation. The clone has limited manipulation and consciousness (kinda playing off the idea of cryptosleep sickness) and gradually (over a year maybe) reaches normalcy. Sorry if this conversation is a little off topic xD; just thought I'd reply to a reply.

Thirite

Hey, pretty good ideas. I don't think there's any in lore explanation of how vatgrown soldiers/slaves learn- whether they come out "educated" or have to learn from zero. I like the idea of copying passions though, and an acclamation period sounds excellent. Even if they're adults they were "just born" in a sense.