[A17] Vegetable Garden [8/22/17]

Started by dismar, May 07, 2015, 10:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asquirrel

I'm running Vegetable Garden and tilled soil.  There is definitely a conflict but they do work together.  With tilled soil I can blast out high producing soil just by crafting it on top of normal soil.  With vegetable garden, I have tilled soil and plowed soil.  With both I have to create fertilizer to get that soil enriched.  Takes a bit longer but the job gets done. Or I might be thinking of two other mods - I've got so many running it's crazy. :P

Patersmith

Hello, I would just like to report a bug on version 5.3, not the updated version. This happens with canned vegetables, canned meat, and silage. Occasionally a pawn will wander over and begin picking up an entire stack and carry it in their inventory. But the total carried is not limited to a single stack. Note that this occurs regardless of available food on the map.

Dade started 10 jobs in 10 ticks. lastJobGiver=, curJob.def=Wait, curDriver=Verse.AI.JobDriver_Wait
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:StartErrorRecoverJob(String)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:FinalizeTick()
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick()
Verse.Pawn:Tick()
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:Update()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Also, 5.3c is evidently not compatible with my old save. Attempting to load generates the following error:

Could not load reference to Verse.RecipeDef named Make_Neutroamine
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.ScribeExtractor:DefFromNode(XmlNode)
Verse.Scribe_Defs:LookDef(RecipeDef&, String)
RimWorld.Bill:ExposeData()
RimWorld.Bill_Production:ExposeData()
AlcoholV.Overriding.Bill_Production:ExposeData()
Verse.ScribeExtractor:SaveableFromNode(XmlNode, Object[])
Verse.Scribe_Collections:LookList(List`1&, Boolean, String, LookMode, Object[])
Verse.Scribe_Collections:LookList(List`1&, String, LookMode, Object[])
RimWorld.BillStack:ExposeData()
Verse.Scribe_Deep:LookDeep(BillStack&, Boolean, String, Object[])
Verse.Scribe_Deep:LookDeep(BillStack&, String, Object[])
RimWorld.Building_WorkTable:ExposeData()
Verse.Map:ExposeData()
Verse.Game:LoadGame()
Verse.SavedGameLoader:LoadGameFromSaveFile(String)
Verse.Root_Play:<Start>m__736()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__733()

Thanks. I love the mod.

dismar

Hi! yes, 5.3 had that bug 5.3a fixed it. Are you upgrading from 5.3 to 5.3c?

Patersmith

Yeah, going from 5.3 to 5.3c. So a previous version fixed the canned food/silage bug?

dismar

Quote from: Patersmith on January 02, 2017, 10:54:17 PM
Yeah, going from 5.3 to 5.3c. So a previous version fixed the canned food/silage bug?
Yes : )

Anyway if you are trying to save this game I'll post all the versions a,b,c you can install them one version at a time. open your save. If it loads you can save it then move up to the next version till your up to "c".
A
https://www.dropbox.com/s/79wz44aakdvc8xc/Vegetable%20Garden%205.3a.zip?dl=0
B
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck17go98jcp3z76/Vegetable%20Garden%205.3b.zip?dl=0
C (current)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lytq9kca80m98y/Vegetable%20Garden%205.3c.zip?dl=0

dismar

Quote from: Canute on January 02, 2017, 04:15:14 AM
Quote12/29
- Soil cost for Reclaim added.
Geeeshhh, 25 fertilizer.
What do you think about to add a campfire recipe for "cremate into fert." ?
Need more work 50 because a campfire don't burn that hot and you need more attention and only half result. But refil the campfire a bit.

OH hey canute. I will be adding a recipe close to this and lowering the req. for the soil. Sorry I missed ya post! : )

Patersmith

Quote from: dismar on January 02, 2017, 11:01:00 PM
Quote from: Patersmith on January 02, 2017, 10:54:17 PM
Yes : )

Anyway if you are trying to save this game I'll post all the versions a,b,c you can install them one version at a time. open your save. If it loads you can save it then move up to the next version till your up to "c".
A
https://www.dropbox.com/s/79wz44aakdvc8xc/Vegetable%20Garden%205.3a.zip?dl=0
B
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck17go98jcp3z76/Vegetable%20Garden%205.3b.zip?dl=0
C (current)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lytq9kca80m98y/Vegetable%20Garden%205.3c.zip?dl=0

Thank you, 5.3b works fine, for anyone who did the same thing I did.

neltnerb

I did some meta-analysis of the logistics for these new plants. I took the fertility sensitivity, nutrition, price, yield, growth time, and density (trees get only one per four squares on average) to get values for the value per day (per square farmed), the nutrition per day (per square farmed), the value per harvest work, and the nutrition per harvest work.

I attached the results for food items in three graphs, as well as a LibreOffice spreadsheet I was working from (which also contains the trees -- spoiler, ironwood is 50% better than cecropia and cecropia is slightly better than poplar and teak, which are a bit better than everything else).

Some things of peculiar note that might be good targets for balancing.

Agave is really good. Really really good.
- Better than haygrass for nutritional yield per day in plowed soil. In terrible soil it's only marginally worse than haygrass.
- Similar density nutrition stacks to haygrass (75x 0.12 nutrition = 9 vs. 200x 0.05 = 10).
  - (Although haygrass can be stored outside of the refrigerator)
- Very high value per day, about twice haygrass and in line with grapes and berries.
- Fruit provides gluttonous joy bonus.
- Your pawns and animals can both enjoy eating it.
- And you can make medical supplies?

Mushrooms are amazing.
- Mushrooms are the best cash crop, producing over 20% more value per day than pineapple and watermelon (the second and third best).
- They can also be used for meat.
- Lentils don't provide a joy bonus. They are more dense stacks though, if your refrigerator is limited enough that this matters somehow.
- Their nutrition produced per day is very barely worse than lentils, and on par with trees and fruits.

Fruit trees aren't so hot.
- All the fruit trees produce about 60% of the value per day of mushroms, and about 60% of the nutrition per day of agave.
- The green and yellow bars are showing value/nutrition per unit work. So you can easily see that the trees produce a lot more value and nutrition for the effort, as you'd expect.
- Note that I took into account that you get *at most* one tree every four squares. So since these are per ground area unit, just realize that the numbers are 4x higher if you're looking "per plant" rather than per garden area. I just think garden area is more important.

I hope you found this entertaining! If I were to make some suggestions, I'd say that mushrooms and agave are kind of unbalanced. Agave producing 80% more nutrition per day than any other fruit doesn't seem right, especially with a joy bonus. I'd also consider looking at the trees a bit more closely, they're billed as the best plants but are worse than just normal fruits in value per day and are only comparable on nutrition per day.

So I'm thinking that if you want to keep your gardens dense and valuable and close to base, just plant agave and mushrooms. If you want some extended fields that you don't harvest often, maybe switch to olives for further from your base, though most of the fruit trees are about the same (cherry being a bit worse than the others). Ironwood is by a large amount the best tree for wood yield per day.

For me, I'm going to keep planting corn, wheat, sugarcane, tea, and coffee because I like making baked goods and caffeine. But I had a ton of fun analyzing the logistics, and am so thankful to dismar for the great time. And apologies to anyone who finds this boring, I guess what I love about the game is the meta-analysis =)

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

dismar

Well I enjoy the numbers.

I have a long to-do list for balance so far :P

Canute

QuoteMushrooms are amazing.
- Mushrooms are the best cash crop, producing over 20% more value per day than pineapple and watermelon (the second and third best).
- Lentils don't provide a joy bonus. They are more dense stacks though, if your refrigerator is limited enough that this matters somehow.
- Their nutrition produced per day is very barely worse than lentils, and on par with trees and fruits.
Lentils count as meat too.
Both lentils and mushroom's can't be used as vegetables. This mean you can't made fine meals or stew/stirfry out of lentils+mushrooms.

kunyomi

Found a little typo (That I'm pretty sure is from this mod since that bit only contains stuff from it)

neltnerb

Quote from: Canute on January 04, 2017, 07:46:50 AM
Both lentils and mushroom's can't be used as vegetables. This mean you can't made fine meals or stew/stirfry out of lentils+mushrooms.

Sorry, I thought about being more verbose but didn't want to make the post too long.

What I meant was that of the two meat-plants (mushroom and lentil), they both have roughly the same nutrition production per day (64% of the best for lentils and 59% of the best for mushrooms, basically the same) but mushrooms are the most valuable crop per day while lentils are at 72% of mushrooms. Add in that lentils don't give any kind of joy bonus (like mushrooms) there's basically no reason to ever plant them. Lentils and mushrooms are both unlocked at Tier 1, so there's no obvious reason why (except that dismar likes mushrooms :-D ).

Given how much better agave is than all the other fruits and vegetables, the obvious combination is agave for the vegetable part of the meals and mushroom for the meaty part of the meals.

Yoso

Quote from: neltnerb on January 04, 2017, 08:47:49 PM
Quote from: Canute on January 04, 2017, 07:46:50 AM

Sorry, I thought about being more verbose but didn't want to make the post too long.

What I meant was that of the two meat-plants (mushroom and lentil), they both have roughly the same nutrition production per day (64% of the best for lentils and 59% of the best for mushrooms, basically the same) but mushrooms are the most valuable crop per day while lentils are at 72% of mushrooms. Add in that lentils don't give any kind of joy bonus (like mushrooms) there's basically no reason to ever plant them. Lentils and mushrooms are both unlocked at Tier 1, so there's no obvious reason why (except that dismar likes mushrooms :-D ).

Given how much better agave is than all the other fruits and vegetables, the obvious combination is agave for the vegetable part of the meals and mushroom for the meaty part of the meals.

I usually go mushrooms/corn or mushrooms/beans. Corn becomes flour and cornmeal, beans can become tofu, soy milk, and cheese.

Smexy_Vampire

stand alone cloth resorce plants and nutro flowers to be ported to there own mod without all that extra stuff ?

Yoso

It's a little odd that the default drug policy forbids using any of the drinks or treats recreationally.