No way to manufacture neutroamine

Started by Dinoabunai, September 12, 2016, 02:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bclewis

I think it might be interesting if everything were available/craftable in the game, but not necessarily in the same biome, so trading still required.  So e.g. if you want to make your own chocolate, start in a tropical area, otherwise you'll need to trade for it.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: bclewis on September 19, 2016, 06:03:07 PM
I think it might be interesting if everything were available/craftable in the game, but not necessarily in the same biome, so trading still required.  So e.g. if you want to make your own chocolate, start in a tropical area, otherwise you'll need to trade for it.

Each Biome having a unique resource to craft an otherwise uncraftable product would be neat.

Alternatively though, maybe make it unethical to acquire?  Either harvest from the dead or make it an infection that you need to keep people sick to harvest it.  A raw good that can fight back would help keep things from being too easy.

Otherwise it needs to be made in zero-g or something to explain why traders can have it but you cant make it.

delheit

Now that I have seen it in game I have to say, You can either buy the medicine out right or buy the thing to make the medicine with the right research and worktable. So what's the point? You could just as easily make the production of the drug difficult so that trade is easier or more important rather then refusing to allow it and having a system of Purchase Drug vs Purchase and then Make the Drug.

A bunch if effort for nothing in my opinion. You can make trade important without out right forcing it.

To clarify, what the point in buying the ingredients instead of buying the medicine? There seams to be plenty of drug to go around anyway and prevents an entire play style or three.

stu89pid

I disagree about neutroamine. I actually think it is too available as is.
In previous builds, I relied heavily on herbal medicine throughout the entirety of my colony. In A15, I had a 500+ stockpile of medicine fairly early on in the colony and never got lower than this.

If you are able to cheaply craft neutroamine, this is going to greatly reduce the risk associated with health problems.

I'm not at my gaming PC right now, but offhand I think I typically pay 7-8 silver for a neutroamine, where a single unit of medicine can cost 35+ silver. 3 cloth and one herbal medicine are free to grow, so you are getting very cheap medicine even if you aren't able to produce 100% of it on your own.

Some chemical reactions to produce certain medicines require heating to >1000 deg C and applying high pressure etc, it is believable to me that a rimworld colony would be capable of producing some technology like a cooler but not able to produce complex medicine.

RayvenQ

What about being able to extract a neutro precursor at a low rate(from individual animals) from Boomalopes/rats which you'd then turn into neutro at the drug table. Afterall the description from the Boomalope is "Engineered for chemicals production, the boomalope grows a large sac of volatile chemicals on its back. Though it is weak and fragile for its size, other animals have learned to avoid it because of the huge explosion it produces when it dies."

It'd also introduce a risk/reward thing. You'd get a steady supply of neutro as the reward, with the risk being, if anything goes wrong with your farmed boomers,old age, accident etc etc, it could spell potential disaster.

Jimyoda

Quote from: RayvenQ on September 29, 2016, 03:31:34 AM
What about being able to extract a neutro precursor at a low rate(from individual animals) from Boomalopes/rats which you'd then turn into neutro at the drug table. Afterall the description from the Boomalope is "Engineered for chemicals production, the boomalope grows a large sac of volatile chemicals on its back. Though it is weak and fragile for its size, other animals have learned to avoid it because of the huge explosion it produces when it dies."

It'd also introduce a risk/reward thing. You'd get a steady supply of neutro as the reward, with the risk being, if anything goes wrong with your farmed boomers,old age, accident etc etc, it could spell potential disaster.

It's already been done. Here's the mod:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26108.0
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

stu89pid

Quote from: delheit on September 28, 2016, 08:37:34 AM

To clarify, what the point in buying the ingredients instead of buying the medicine? There seams to be plenty of drug to go around anyway and prevents an entire play style or three.

To me, it's the same as grilling a steak vs going to a steakhouse. I can buy a nice ribbeye for less than $20 and grilling it costs me next to nothing. If I went to a nice restaurant, I might end up spending $60 or more for that same piece of meat.

So you can spend ~40 silver and buy medicine straight up, or you can spend ~6 silver on neutroamine, grow the rest of the stuff yourself, and have a TON of medicien available for a little bit of work and about only 15% of the cost.

mew_the_pinkmin

I think a good balance would be you can craft about everything but for stuff like nutroamine, power armor, charge rifles, ect.. it should be significantly cheaper to buy them from traders. So you would not want to make netro your self, but you can if you need it and cant get a trader.
NoBadOrganThoughts        BigBatteries        PlantSaver

mastamage

there is a mod to produce neutroamine.... just be aware that to produce any useful amounts, you basically have a giant explosive in your base.... a selfreplicating bomb that requires a lot of food