[0.12.911] Sappers Attacking Random Walls Far From Base

Started by Bohb Daishi, August 27, 2015, 10:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bohb Daishi

Path to my base was not blocked, only had 2 turrets. Sappers spawn in the corner of the map and decided to attack a nearby wall. They only made a single hole through the wall before proceeding onward to my base, however.

Bastards also murdered my only cow - who happened to be pregnant.

[attachment deleted due to age]

TLHeart

sappers appearing early in alpha 12, long before bases are not vulnerable. It is funny to watch them try and find something to actually dig into, and avoid the limited defenses. 

Bohb Daishi

Yeah I'm on month 8 on Cassandra Challenge. Those sappers did a number on my colony, killing nearly all my animals, my high-level trainer, and dis-arming (literally) my hunter.

She's a lot meaner than the Phoebe I'm used to...

Vault101

Here's a sapper throwing a grenade at a random piece of wall away from my base while his friends are passing by

#justsapperthings

They also often kill themselves throwing grenades at doors that are just behind a corner (forcing them to come very close if they want to throw at said doors).

It's kind of disappointing when you want a challenge but it's also understandable; it's incredibly difficult to write code for how those guys should behave.

ison

Quote from: Vault101 on August 28, 2015, 01:29:02 AM
It's kind of disappointing when you want a challenge but it's also understandable; it's incredibly difficult to write code for how those guys should behave.

True. AI is not perfect and will probably never be.

Thanks for the report, I'm not sure what would be the best way to handle this issue. It's sometimes hard to tell which walls they should destroy and which shouldn't. Unfortunately it's not as simple as "don't destroy walls far from the player's base". I'm going to lock this thread because it's not really a bug, but rather AI improvement suggestion.