Research Table as Eating Table

Started by jstnhsrk, March 01, 2015, 04:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jstnhsrk

Any reason not to build a Research Table and put chairs around it to get a bit of Research out of each meal?

Panzer

Nope, do it all the time, just has the right size for a midsized colony.

City Builder

I just saw somebody doing this on their twitch live stream of RimWorld but didn't know that all it takes is somebody to be around the table to get any research out of it, I just assumed that if an individual isn't actually there to do research then no research gets done, live and learn I guess.

skullywag

Wait wut, researching wont be done if someone is eating around the table...or it shouldnt...it should only work when a pawn does the toil.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Panzer

haha wait really? ;D research gets done when people are eating? Haha, have to test that

jstnhsrk

Quote from: skullywag on March 01, 2015, 05:04:55 PM
Wait wut, researching wont be done if someone is eating around the table...or it shouldnt...it should only work when a pawn does the toil.

I swear I got research out of this in Alpha 8, but now I'm wondering if this was fixed Alpha 9.

lusername

Research tables lack beauty and don't have the gathering-spot option, so you'd end up needing a regular table to form a gathering area. But if this isn't a problem, sure, eat off the research table, why not?

jstnhsrk

Quote from: lusername on March 01, 2015, 08:18:03 PM
Research tables lack beauty and don't have the gathering-spot option, so you'd end up needing a regular table to form a gathering area. But if this isn't a problem, sure, eat off the research table, why not?

I haven't had any problems getting everyone to eat at the Research Table with no specified  gathering area.  They seem to go there because it's the closest table.  That said, I confirmed that I'm no longer getting research done just from eating at the table. 

lusername

The problem isn't the eating, it's that your colony will then lack a gathering area where the guys who don't have anything to immediately do can hang around and yammer at each other. This isn't a HUGE drawback, but it causes the loiterers to loiter in some pretty odd and potentially dangerous places at times.

Panzer

aaaah thats what that gathering thing does, have been wondering what it does.