Has this happened to you as well?

Started by faltonico, April 17, 2017, 06:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faltonico

Has this happened to you as well?

When zoomed in the icon for the base game factions turns normal again. Reloading the game turns them back to normal as well.

Edit: Wrong place to post this -_-'

Canute

Let me guess,
you add or disable mod just before and didn't restart Rimworld ? :-)

SpaceDorf

Or changed the language without restarting.

Translated Mods might have this behaviour to.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

faltonico

@SpaceDorf @Canute
You both guessed wrong, actually, i've never made that mistake, i read the warning ;p
Since sometime ago, i am having a spammy warning (yellow message) pop up when opening the world map, "Tried to draw quad with null material." but that was the first time i saw the black squares.

SpaceDorf

It looks like a running game,
did you remove any mods lately ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

faltonico

I disabled "stay away from medicine" and "Quality surgeon", the first one because the settings were resetting xD and the latter because i had aspiring doctors to train. I can't think of any other i have deleted from a save, i always try to use backup save files when testing new mods =S

I'll try to restore "core", it looks like as if the icons for the factions were missing.
Edit: It was not always that the icons didn't show, i could not tell if restoring core would help -_-' and i have never touched any file from core. the warning is still there though.

RawCode

you should not modify "core" folder in any way, it's available for reference, not for modification.

Raccoon

faltonico

Quote from: RawCode on April 18, 2017, 03:47:06 AM
you should not modify "core" folder in any way, it's available for reference, not for modification.
I didn't, but as i thought a texture might be missing (for some reason), i tried to restore the folder.

Quote from: Raccoon on April 18, 2017, 04:13:38 AM
No Errors in the Dev Mode?
No error per se (red message), just a very very VERY spammy warning (yellow message), when opening the world map:
Tried to draw quad with null material.
Verse.Log:Warning(String)
RimWorld.Planet.WorldRendererUtility:DrawQuadTangentialToPlanet(Vector3, Single, Single, Material, Boolean, Boolean, MaterialPropertyBlock)
RimWorld.Planet.WorldObject:Draw()
RimWorld.Planet.WorldDynamicDrawManager:DrawDynamicWorldObjects()
RimWorld.Planet.World:WorldUpdate()
Verse.Game:Update()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

faltonico

Resurrecting this thread to update this situation.
That image was from A16 btw.
The spammy message stopped appearing in A17, but the situation got worst in the new alpha, i just figured it happens just before a crash when the client is running out of memory. The black sprites are not limited to world objects but to pawns as well when creating an event map for a raid or something like that (like ship down for recon and discovery mod). Memory usage jumps from 2.5 GB to 3.2~3.7 GB when opening the world map and slowly goes up until it finally crashes, it doesn't go down until i restart the client either, it has made impossible for me to find any use in caravans because i have to restart the game constantly to prevent crashes and/or use dev mode to reach destination instantly.

Albion

Does this problem happen without mods too? Modded games are way more difficult to Bugfix but if it happens in the vanilla version please refer to the bug report or the help part of the forum.
Otherwise try and figure out which mod or combination of mods result in this behaviour.

CannibarRechter

I've recently done a ton of texture modding (my soon to release mod retextures just about everything in rimworld). The only time I have seen zoom-dependent display of textures is when the texture size was... whacky. I had this situation where I inadvertently saved a texture at something like 128x129 instead of 128x128. Apparently the game can resize all textures properly, but has some technical difficulty with them if they have the wrong aspect ratios.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Albion

Not only the wrong ratios but I think also if the texture is too big. I had issues with a rather large resolution. Something like 300x300 on a 2x2 building. When I zoomed out, the texture randomly resized to about a quarter of the size after a certain point.

faltonico

Quote from: Albion on October 29, 2017, 05:42:02 AM
Does this problem happen without mods too? Modded games are way more difficult to Bugfix but if it happens in the vanilla version please refer to the bug report or the help part of the forum.
Otherwise try and figure out which mod or combination of mods result in this behaviour.
I have many mods, my normal ram usage is fairly high, and all goes to shit when you sum that up with the world map memory leak of the base game. The dev team already knows of that bug, i hope they managed to fix it in A18.