changing map size

Started by LiteEmUp, July 19, 2017, 12:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiteEmUp

so when i started my first save, i chose the default map size options... now i want to try playing with the largest map option, realizing that my laptop and comp should be able to handle the lag lol..

im currently enjoying my first campaign, so i don't want to restart at the moment...
is there a way to change the map size to largest?? through mods or save editing?? or even dev tools??

any help will be greatly appreciated..

Lys

I don't think you can do so. Maybe through save file editing, yes but that would most likely also break the save somehow (as there is nothing naturally generated on those added tiles).
Anyhow, I'd advise you to play for a while. Lag does not happen at the start of the game, but rather a few years in when you have dozens of colonists and farm animals.

b0rsuk

It would be sweet if map size gradually increased over time, like in Total Annihilation. You start with a small map, achieve some objective, then map gets larger.

Gohihioh

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 19, 2017, 01:45:46 PM
It would be sweet if map size gradually increased over time, like in Total Annihilation. You start with a small map, achieve some objective, then map gets larger.

Damn that would be so awesome. I would love to see that feature in Rimworld.

But I don't think it's possible since choosing map size usually comes to performance. So unless we will see game performance get better I don't think it should be implemented.

stigma

Don't play on the largest map...

Performance is one thing (it scales badly beyond the medium and slightly larger maps).

Actually being able to use the map is another issue. Pawns travel slowly even on perfect terrain. Traveling from one side to another in a very large map takes so long that you will want to avoid this at all costs because it kills efficiency - so playing on extremely large maps you really only end up using a tiny portion of it.

And as the game goes on it will get slower for a variety of reasons... you might regret it - just saying.

Personally I have a hard time recommending anything over 275-300 tiles. It just becomes impractical for the sort of game this is. I kind of made the exact same mistake myself and I've scaled back heavily in later games.

-Stigma

Canute

Large map is just a different difficult scale.
You just can limit your pawns to some area to avoid that they travel too far.
At sieges at example, when a siege appear, i just gather all pawns and assault them, but on large maps that could cause to mental breals due the long travel distance.
Not to speak when you play on maps with special terrain tropical jungle,tiberium.
But this special terrain can even be your friend, raiders take along time to come to you and maybe allready exhaused and give up early.

You see a large map you not only have more area to mine,grow and harvest :-)