Do you save scum?

Started by MisterVertigo, January 02, 2016, 09:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veneke

Quote from: Britnoth on January 03, 2016, 08:34:39 PM
Just stating the facts. Harsh but fair.  ;)

- Mechanoids cannot be faced super early in unmodded vanilla Rimworld. Ship parts have a minimum point value limiting them to happen only once you have reached a certain size. This should be day 50+ even on extreme difficulty. By then you likely have at least 5 people and significant defences built.

If you are going to state facts, you should probably ascertain what they are first. Mechanoids can be faced very early in at least one previous version of unmodded vanilla Rimworld. See Tynan's post here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15301.msg161481#msg161481 where he subsequently adjusted it prevent super-early Mechanoids.

QuoteSurvival rifle max range is 37. Max range of the centipede weapons is 27-32. Their move speed is 1/3 a humans. You can easily shoot at them from a safe distance and slowly kill them - all you need is a guy with no cataracts and a few points in shooting skill to do this. If you step too close and get targetted, you can easily run back out of range and they are much too slow to chase you. Centipedes are so large you get a doubled chance to hit compared to shooting a human raider.

This looks more like theory than a practical approach that people actually use. More to the point, my comment was that it was 'significantly more likely' to get hurt by a centipede the earlier it happens. If this is your proposed strategy I can't see how you can possibly disagree with that.

QuoteAnd all that is ignoring the fact that all centipede weapons have a forced miss radius tag, making the inferno cannon the only effective weapon they have. 1 improvised gun turret can easily kill several minigun armed centipedes.

This gives a very false impression of the power of your starting improvised gun turret. It certainly can potentially kill several minigun armed centipedes. So too can potentially one guy with a pistol. Neither are very likely. Hence casualties/wounds are to be expected; which was my point.

I was commenting on your accusation/criticism that the game was
Quoteunfair
backed by statements that were clearly and provably false; possibly giving other people a bad impression of the game.  :-X

Absolute nonsense. His statements were not clearly and provably false, but in fact quite the opposite.

As for whether the game is fair or not, Tynan has already made it quite clear that early mechanoids were, in fact, problematic (unfair you might say) and adjusted things accordingly.

A Friend

Hey do you guys smell that?

*sniff* *sniff*

Smells like fuel. Careful not to cause sparks!
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Andy_Dandy

Never save scum. I did it abit when I was new, but found out it killed my fun with the game. Much better to deal with losing colonists or other disasters/incidents.

For me to have fun and challenge I follow these rules and settings:
Always Cassandra Extreme (Randy is too soft). Never prepare carfully mod, or other mods making things easier (exception is the grand UI-mod). Start without looking at what colonists you got randomly. Favorite map: Ice sheet with average temperature -30 to -40 Celcius (Cold, but not so cold that all raiders die all the time from the temp.) AND OF COURSE; NO SAVE SCUMING! ;)

My philosophy: I have to take the punishment for bad decissions, if not decissions doesent matter. If all my colonists die, the punishment is I have to start over.

Scotty

Yes i do save scum if i lose a battle and i know i could have done it better :)
Or if i lose someone to something stupid

Kalshion

I can and do save frequently, mostly due to previous experiences with games crashing on me for no reason's at all. However, I'll typically reload a save if something happened that I do not agree with (such as a colonist being killed instantly or a mechanoid/raid dropping down THROUGH the mountain and into my base)

Stormtrout

Not yet... just "crash" proofing which seems to be no need so far. An inkling after a fight or other...

But, no crash, just getting my butt kicked by the usual things.

asanbr

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on January 04, 2016, 07:07:47 AM
Never save scum. I did it abit when I was new, but found out it killed my fun with the game. Much better to deal with losing colonists or other disasters/incidents.

For me to have fun and challenge I follow these rules and settings:
Always Cassandra Extreme (Randy is too soft). Never prepare carfully mod, or other mods making things easier (exception is the grand UI-mod). Start without looking at what colonists you got randomly. Favorite map: Ice sheet with average temperature -30 to -40 Celcius (Cold, but not so cold that all raiders die all the time from the temp.) AND OF COURSE; NO SAVE SCUMING! ;)

My philosophy: I have to take the punishment for bad decissions, if not decissions doesent matter. If all my colonists die, the punishment is I have to start over.

How is Randy softer than Cassandra? I always assumed Randy would be "worse" (harder) and I was happy when I started playing on Randy Extreme, thinking that this was the max difficulty.

I play much the same, except the Ice sheet. I mostly choose random start location too and let everything be random. Only start over if I get the same biome many times over, that does get boring.

When learning to play I save scummed all the time, but after a while realised I wasn't having fun. I never save-scum nowadays but I have used dev mode on some occasions, such as when an ally walks into a bullet and their faction becomes hostile.

RickyMartini

If you play on Cassandra you'll have a constant stream of raiders. If you play randy the stream of events is not constant, so it can be half a year between a raid or just a week. That's the only difference between the two. Extreme only controls how many raiders you get and how well they are equipped. If you are lucky, you can play Randy and he gives you very few raids that's why I mostly play Cassandra to be sure that my gameplay is constant.

Sens

I do, since the game doesnt prohibit it. I wouldnt mind if i couldnt, actually i am looking forward for another difficulty with loading disabled all together and game autosaves in realtime, but since i can...

So, there actually are guys here who wouldnt load losing their near max bionical sniper due to failed surgery (please...) happens once or twice everytime i play even when skilled doctor is doing surgery)

or who woudnt load when mechs drop in your base later in game on extreme diff. (it can be pretty badass)

or that awkward headshot already mentioned by a low skilled enemy vs your badass sniper? (im mentioning sniper here, since by my experience all u ever needed is one good bionic sniper - he can deal with siegers, sappers, poison and psychic ships, with turret support once siege etc is broken and they attack (rly easy to snipe all mechs without taking any dmg, make sure u dont dmg ship first below 50% since that makes em attack, otherwise they just defend a preset distance from ship which is lower than your snipers, keep distance and snipe, may take two - three days with one guy but works every time, you see when they move towards you and can move away before in range, this is rly easy no loading needed here)

as for some stuff mentioned here, all my able colonists have Doctor (1) always, for surgeries i then make sure the guy who is best does them until later in game when all have 15+ already (doctor skill is super easy to lvl up, you have lots of prisoners u can train on etc, place a turret in jailroom, let em berserk if they wish, stitch em up, let em berserk again...)

Sens

Quote from: Skissor on January 04, 2016, 03:49:42 PM
If you play on Cassandra you'll have a constant stream of raiders. If you play randy the stream of events is not constant, so it can be half a year between a raid or just a week. That's the only difference between the two. Extreme only controls how many raiders you get and how well they are equipped. If you are lucky, you can play Randy and he gives you very few raids that's why I mostly play Cassandra to be sure that my gameplay is constant.

i play cassandra too, tried randy one colony and was super boring (his raids started just like cassandras, first raid 1 guy... :), was actually easier.

TLHeart

Randy is not actually random... it is programmed to cluster events together, then pause, and that pause can be 24 days between events. Randy makes games very easy once you understand that.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: MisterVertigo on January 02, 2016, 09:49:09 PM
Hello all! I have a question for all of you out there in the RimWorld community. When you play a game of RimWorld, do you save scum? For those that don't know, that means you save your game frequently, and when something goes wrong or something happens you don't like, you re-load from a recent save. For example, your favorite colonist dies, or getting a crashed Mechanoid ship outside your front door immediately after a bad raid, or half your colony has malaria.

So, what about you guys? Do you save scum? Do you use console commands to help you out of certain things? I'd like to know I'm not alone!

Yes and no.

Quote from: Sens on January 04, 2016, 03:57:56 PM

So, there actually are guys here who wouldnt load losing their near max bionical sniper due to failed surgery (please...) happens once or twice everytime i play even when skilled doctor is doing surgery)

or who woudnt load when mechs drop in your base later in game on extreme diff. (it can be pretty badass)

or that awkward headshot already mentioned by a low skilled enemy vs your badass sniper?

Yes, I save frequently, and I reload when something real bad happens, but no, not because a mechanoid piece of ship landed inside my base and I don't want to deal with it. I do want to deal with it, even if it costs half of my colony. But not the entire.

Usually I save after the problem occurred, to be able to try to handle it multiple times if needed.
Without it, Rimworld would be either boring (on basebuilder/Phoebe Friendly) or I'd have to start over way too often (as I tend to screw things up which often have deadly consequences, especially on extreme).

I usually look the other way when my pets die or a colonist loses a leg or dies fair and square, but when raiders spawn next to my wood-chopping colonist, when I designate more rock to mine than I wanted and end up crushing my things/colonist, or when I'm in a fight and a colonist walks through the line of fire and gets him/herself killed (combat realism) just because I forgot to draft/restrict him/her, well, such stupid mistakes and annoying events warrant a reload.  ;D

Sens

No, no, not that ship part drop :)   (psy, poison ships are not hard, you can prepare for that in safe and proceed when ready)

im talking about the insta attack drop in your base, no ship parts, just kinda deploy next to you, happens to me now and then: some mechs drop right next to my workbenches, next to bionical guys, althou i could deal with that, eventually alot of stuff i build would be burned, destroyed and would take me too long to rebuild it again, especially if they come equipped to burn down everything to ground, rebuilding after that ussualy takes all time up to next raid or even longer otherwise, pain in the ass raid, seriously, there is no way you can counter that without losing a huge portion of base (later on, im almost at day 4 now, with 1 mio+ colony wealth, which isnt your ussual type of raid, they come in great numbers, just sending all colonist against that (10+) will get you all killed. If 30+ raiders cant do much vs 5-10 mechs why do you think you can? This type of raid skips all your defenses and lands right next to you (even if you have 20 turrets inside that room, no way u can kill them, the only way is using walls, corridors from other rooms as defensive points, but again, your base is kinda wiped away in the process.

"attached image is the latest poison ship: what comes out of poison ship on my map by now and no matter their numbers or how close to base, i can build a wall even if its 2 tiles away from base, just wall em out, before triggering! ofc, and then trigger and snipe em, now.. the raid im talking about is different, lets say 3rd of that drops inside your base right next to you, no triggering there, just immediate chaos and slaughter, you have no time at all, while this on pic, this is easy with 4+ snipers, takes a couple of days, no loading, noone gets hurt"

[attachment deleted due to age]

Jarwy

Only when experimenting or playing a new mod or playing a specific story in my head.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Sens on January 07, 2016, 09:29:17 AM
No, no, not that ship part drop :)   (psy, poison ships are not hard, you can prepare for that in safe and proceed when ready)

im talking about the insta attack drop in your base, no ship parts, just kinda deploy next to you, happens to me now and then: some mechs drop right next to my workbenches, next to bionical guys, althou i could deal with that, eventually alot of stuff i build would be burned, destroyed and would take me too long to rebuild it again, especially if they come equipped to burn down everything to ground, rebuilding after that ussualy takes all time up to next raid or even longer otherwise, pain in the ass raid, seriously, there is no way you can counter that without losing a huge portion of base (later on, im almost at day 4 now, with 1 mio+ colony wealth, which isnt your ussual type of raid, they come in great numbers, just sending all colonist against that (10+) will get you all killed. If 30+ raiders cant do much vs 5-10 mechs why do you think you can? This type of raid skips all your defenses and lands right next to you (even if you have 20 turrets inside that room, no way u can kill them, the only way is using walls, corridors from other rooms as defensive points, but again, your base is kinda wiped away in the process.

"attached image is the latest poison ship: what comes out of poison ship on my map by now and no matter their numbers or how close to base, i can build a wall even if its 2 tiles away from base, just wall em out, before triggering! ofc, and then trigger and snipe em, now.. the raid im talking about is different, lets say 3rd of that drops inside your base right next to you, no triggering there, just immediate chaos and slaughter, you have no time at all, while this on pic, this is easy with 4+ snipers, takes a couple of days, no loading, noone gets hurt"

Personally I don't build walls just to deal with ancient ships, I let them come.
I pause the moment I hear the alert, and I save if I it's an attack. I don't particularly care about the details.
Mechanoids dropping in, I deal with them by getting my colonists out of there first. The 4-5 or so seconds before the drop pods pop open should be enough for the colonists to leave the room.
Usually mechanoids don't start blowing up the base, most often that is the consequence of the fight inside.
They melee down some doors and a few equipment, no big deal.

Having 20 turrets inside is suicidal, those things explode you know, and destroy stuff. Not a good idea, it only increases the attackers' numbers and your losses.

Also, you could try keeping your colony's wealth low(er).

Unleash the sacrificial animal army to force them in melee combat (have you seen ~50 boars take on ~20 mechanoids?) in the meanwhile throw in a few EMP nades, then move in with your colonists. Forget exploding and fiery things, use regular firearms, and for those stunned, melee is even better.

Late game I'm the one doing the slaughtering when they drop in.  :P