rimworld longer gamespan

Started by keylocke, November 11, 2014, 04:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

as most of you playing in cassandra have noticed, most rimworld playthroughs run around 2-4 years simply coz the raider/mech threats escalate so high around that time that it's usually a matter of 3 options :

-escape to space before you get screwed.
-live long and die hard.
-the map becomes so cluttered with dead crap, crashed garbage, dozens of visitors,raiders,etc and dropping your framerate to negative one-thousand.

afterwards, players just start a new colony from scratch and do these things over again.. but after i saw someone posting a 10 year old colony, i started re-evaluating about how we play rimworld.

at randy random, it's actually more common to see large colonies 5 years old and upwards, and 10 years doesn't seem to be that long of a leap.

if you guys have played banished. they have a system that considers children as "adults" when they reach 10 years old. so i was thinking..

instead of the current mindset of "crash, survive, escape" of rimworld.. why not change that to "crash, survive, prosper"..

i wanna see a rimworld game that spans several decades and across several generations..

ZestyLemons

You can always play on Phobe and reduce the challenge sizes so that the game lasts longer before the inevitable "Raiders fall, you die".
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

H_D

I think late game can't be interesting really until we get advanced politics (and possibly mods improving it even more) or/and ability to make impact on the world (establishing new colonies, exploration). My dream is to have map working like map in Jagged Alliance with deep faction interactions and interesting things to do, I wonder if we even could have something like hat.

keylocke

Quote from: ZestyLemons on November 11, 2014, 05:43:18 AM
You can always play on Phobe and reduce the challenge sizes so that the game lasts longer before the inevitable "Raiders fall, you die".

yea, but the game just gets so hopelessly cluttered during longer game spans, so that problem needs to get addressed too. (garbage from space, dead bodies, loot dropped by dead people, etc..) too much manpower wasted on cleaning up the map just to keep framerates stable at very large maps.

also, phoebe AI kinda gets pretty stagnant after a while, since there's not much reward for an old colony. no new children you have to train, no relationship and internal/personal stuff to keep you occupied, etc..

with so few raiders/mechs dropping by to say hello, most of the action you get is just shooting at animals and occasionally shooting each other..

so nope. i guess "rimworld with a longer gamespan" on phoebe, is a bit different than what i hoped a "crash, survive, prosper" gameplay would be.

as reference : in banished and DF, you can see some form of "progress", as stories of old generations and new generations accumulate across the playthrough that spans decades.

rimworld doesn't have those things yet. (i think) right now we're still stuck in the "crash, survive, escape" mindset. but i was hoping we can see some more experimentation/expansion with this.

Quote from: H_D on November 11, 2014, 05:54:24 AM
I think late game can't be interesting really until we get advanced politics (and possibly mods improving it even more) or/and ability to make impact on the world (establishing new colonies, exploration). My dream is to have map working like map in Jagged Alliance with deep faction interactions and interesting things to do, I wonder if we even could have something like hat.

agreed.

this is also what i am hoping for. "crash, survive, prosper"

StorymasterQ

Quote from: keylocke on November 11, 2014, 06:06:01 AM
Quote from: H_D on November 11, 2014, 05:54:24 AM

agreed.

this is also what i am hoping for. "crash, survive, prosper"

also agreed.

also, "...or die."
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Johnny Masters

Game modes:

a) crash, survive, escape - Rimworld: Survivors

b) arrive, survive, adapt, prosper - Rimworld: Pioneers

c) settle, prosper, expand, conquer - Rimworld: Raider Warlords

plus my favorite one:

d) crash, set defenses, survive waves, wait for rescue/last while you can - Rimworld: Military Defense  (sortaoff a tower defense mode were you start with a few military pawns and enough resources to quickly build up defenses and survive waves of raiders or beast type fauna).

StorymasterQ

e) crash, lie down, try not to cry, cry a lot.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

keylocke

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Johnny Masters on November 11, 2014, 08:15:34 PM
d) crash, set defenses, survive waves, wait for rescue/last while you can - Rimworld: Military Defense  (sortaoff a tower defense mode were you start with a few military pawns and enough resources to quickly build up defenses and survive waves of raiders or beast type fauna).

Alternative name: Rimworld: Raiders must die
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

H_D

You mean:
d) crash, set defences, survive waves, set bigger defences, survive bigger waves, set enormous defences, see enormous waves spawning, watch fps dropping, crash

Darkfirephoenix

Quote from: H_D on November 12, 2014, 04:26:46 AM

You mean:
d) crash, set defences, survive waves, set bigger defences, survive bigger waves, set enormous defences, see enormous waves spawning, crash
e) rinse and repeat one of the options above! ;)

Johnny Masters

ahahahah actually it would probably:  set defenses, survive waves, lose limbs, lose turrets, lose walls, try to put new limbs, repair turrets and walls, fight another wave with not enough limbs, not enough towers and not enough walls, cry, lose, cry more, restart