The I can haul whole Thrumbo but not all of it's part at once problem

Started by Perq, February 10, 2017, 01:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perq

So, you know how it is - one pawn can haul Thrumbo, or anything else that then is turned into stuff that single colonist cannot haul.
I've got a while showering idea (actually 2):

a) Why not have colonists drag bigger animals, considerably slowing them? Adding to another idea, which was hunting parties, two or more colonists could drag bigger animals together, making it quicker (bonus points for colonists interacting socially while doing so - hunter couples and so on). Given it would increase the difficult of getting meat from animals, the amount of meat could be potentially increased (but just a tinny little bit).

b) Have the animal butchered at the spot. It would result in meat dropping all around, and you'd need pawns to haul it back to home (at this point some sort of carts or wheelbarrows would be a nice idea). While we're at it, I think we could add bones to the stuff we get from butchering animals. Bone armor (and spears) tribals attacking your colony, anyone? :V
Going further with the additional stuff dropped by butchered animal, I think there could be another item that can get generated when butchering animals - organic remains. These would be all sort of non-meat (or simply meat wasted in the process by inexperienced butcher) parts of an animal that could be used for refining it into oil (for example). It would simply also force you to clean it, and have an area to store it (since it isn't a pleasant thing to look at :V).
The amount of these remains would of course depend on the cooking level of the butcher - higher level, less remains.

What do you think?
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

RawCode

Perq

Quote from: RawCode on February 10, 2017, 02:29:31 AM
more complicated != more fun.

Agreed, but as-is it doesn't make much sense. :@ Neither what I'm suggesting is complicated that much. I think. D:
Overly complicated without any fun/decision making would be adding separate organs of animals, or different quality of skin/furs/meat that is being harvested. It doesn't add anything new to the gameplay, any new themes and so on.
Arguably, we have different kinds of meat that do the same thing, making it very complicated, yet not very impactful. :2
But you are still wrong.

skullywag

Ok heres how i see it. Ill admit its not perfect however. When hunting i can down a deer and carry it back to the truck. I do my grollocking indoors. Once all the bits of the deer are removed theres no way i can carry all that, its like having a bag for all the parts. In the bag you can carry it, no bag is gonna be difficult to carry. Ita not all about weight.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Perq

Quote from: skullywag on February 10, 2017, 03:54:08 AM
Ok heres how i see it. Ill admit its not perfect however. When hunting i can down a deer and carry it back to the truck. I do my grollocking indoors. Once all the bits of the deer are removed theres no way i can carry all that, its like having a bag for all the parts. In the bag you can carry it, no bag is gonna be difficult to carry. Ita not all about weight.

Unless that bag is an elephant. :@ Then it kind of becomes a problem of weigh. Not saying that you shouldn't be able to haul rabbits, foxes or even deers - this is something most people can do. Problem starts with animals which are extraordinarily big like elephants, rhinos and so on.
But you are still wrong.

dv

Nah, this makes sense. The weight isn't the issue. Think deer hunting.

A fit person can fireman-carry a dead deer, etc. It's not easy, and it's one reason a lot of people bone or gut at the first opportunity. But it's doable.

But, if you cut that deer up into a bunch of cuts of meat, bones, skin, antlers, etc., you're not going to be able to carry all the pieces - you don't have enough / large enough hands to get a solid grip on that many things.

Also: so you take your kill to the butcher, and they hand you a couple boxes full of venison, which you probably carry out to the car (well, okay, pickup truck) one at a time, because carrying a 40 pound box in front of you with your arms, is actually a bit more difficult than carrying a 130 pound deer over your shoulders, because you're using different muscle groups.

Mikhail Reign

Isn't 40 pound only like the weight of those little concrete bags? Like... 20kg?

dv

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on February 10, 2017, 06:46:06 PM
Isn't 40 pound only like the weight of those little concrete bags? Like... 20kg?

Like 18kg. Or a little heavier than a bulk container of cat litter (35-42 pounds depending on the brand.)

It's also just below the 53 pound mark that is considered the normal maximum weight for office workers in the US (a case of 5,000 sheets of printer paper weighs that much.)

It's a manageable enough weight, it's not like I'd brag about bench pressing it. (hah!) But realistically, people will generally grab a cart or something to avoid lifting/carrying something that heavy, more than a few dozen yards if they can avoid it. At least, unless they have some kind of carrying gear (backpack, etc.) that distributes the weight over their bodies.

Many airlines have weight limits for carry-on luggage that is <20 pounds, and those have built in wheels and pull handles.

Sirportalez

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on February 10, 2017, 06:46:06 PM

It's all about the lever arm. Even 20kg can get heavy if you carry it the wrong way.

Mikhail Reign

Man..... I remember when concrete came in bags at least twice they size they are now, and you gave anyone that only carried one from the ute shit.

dv

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on February 11, 2017, 12:03:28 AM
Man..... I remember when concrete came in bags at least twice they size they are now, and you gave anyone that only carried one from the ute shit.
Yeah, I knew those guys when I was young too. They're all hooked on pain pills now.