Traps!

Started by hector212121, March 22, 2015, 09:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hector212121

Things like pitfalls(require no resources, like graves, inflict some damage and delay enemies), pitfalls w/spikes(Require wood or steel and have a 75% chance of skewering someone), and so on.

I mean, come on, it would make it a lot easier to fight tribesfolk!

REMworlder

Personally I'd love something to use against mechanoids. :P The problem is traps can turn defending a base into slow, static tower defense-like engagements, and we know Tynan wants to avoid turning RimWorld into a tower defense. To counteract tower defense, traps that cost lots of resources and colonist time have potential. Making traps super ugly could also work, so colonists would have a hard time being around them for long.

I think something involving electricity could be neat. For example, hidden live wires could stun natives, but at the cost of quickly draining the attached circuit of electricity. That would require some player management, and ultimately could have the player deciding between powered turrets or maintaining stuns.

Ammo shells are another potential booby trap, since they're kind of expensive to make since you need a machining table, and have to research a tech for that. Having to salvage shells from sieges or buy from traders would place early limits on the number of shell traps that could be used.

b0rsuk

You could make traps use up a lot of space, and eventually cause accidents because colonists forget about them. If you create a forbidden zone around them, all the better because they would use even more space. So you'd have to build them right before the assault. I'd like it to be limited on a per-trap basis.

REMworlder

Lots of buffer space is a good idea, especially since farming land is so important these days.

Another idea is to go back to an old experimental alpha feature, where structures or furniture (I don't remember which) would slowly get damaged over time and require repairs. Electric fencing or trapped shells could receive damage naturally over time, and constantly require repairs to be functional.

BetaSpectre

Exploitable. Support still. I mean IRL you would do this. AI just needs to get smart.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO