Z Levels, again! Come on now.

Started by Vas, December 15, 2014, 10:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

We really need multiple levels of construction.  Especially with the temperature system.  I'm not suggesting that we have multiple levels in which we can walk around, just multiple levels at which buildings reside.  For example,

We can delete "walls with conduits" from the game, and instead, build conduits under the walls.  No longer needing "Walls" and "Walled Conduits".  Just build a wall, then separately construct conduits under the walls.  Under the floors, under all your equipment, under your bed, everywhere under your base.  Hell, build nothing but conduits everywhere as if they were floors!  But you can still build floors and stuff over them.
--- It looks like conduits already do this, just checked again.  However, I think they should be buried by floors, only visible when you're placing something that takes power or has a conduit in it.  As an added feature, being able to place outlets and floor outlets would allow you to plug things in unless they have their own conduit in them, so you can plug them in underground.

Another example,
We can build ventilation shafts under the conduits, this will spread the heat out around the base or the cooling.  Depending on what you want to spread around.  Maybe you can use a two way vent, or perhaps just a one way vent which automatically opens and closes which appropriate temp is met.  This vent will require taking levels 0, -1 as well and must be placed over a ventilation shaft.  So you can't have a conduit run through it, nor can you build on top of it.  But ventilation shafts, are under everything and will never interfere with buildings unless that building (like a geothermal facility) requires to go down further through the ground.

This will open up a whole new world of base designs and such, which will greatly improve what we can do.  I know that Z Levels have been suggested before, but I want to bring it back into discussion for Tynan and other hard core players to discuss.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

thefinn

Prison Architect has this in a way - the prisoners can dig tunnels under the walls to try and escape.

You can't see anyone walk there, but I'm sure something could be arranged in a similar fashion.

Central heating could be done like this for instance...

StorymasterQ

So it's not really a z-level, but more of an extra metadata on every square, saying things like here's a floor, here's a floor with heating ducts, etc.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Vas

I suppose, but Z Levels would still be a great way to handle this.  Cause you can add extra levels for things that go deeper.  Like a lighting rod, to ground it you go to -3.  Steam Geysers go to -10, nothing can be between -10 and 0 on a geyser.  Etc, I'm sure there are other uses.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

skullywag

Images already have a render priority i believe so terrain knows to always be under something for example. I assume the ability to do what you ask is there its the extension of the edifice system that needs doing, or rather the extension of everything in the game to be compatible with it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ZestyLemons

I think Tynan said that pathfinding was an issue with Z-levels, amongst other things.

It also means a lot of the current systems have to get a lot more complicated. For example:
- You have to be able to shoot at people below and above you
- ..and you need a good way to convey that information so that players understand where their pawns are getting shot from
- Temperature has to flow through Z levels, too
- If you have workbenches set up with bills, how does their search radius work in 3D? <-- that's probably a big one

Definitely not an all-inclusive list. Yeah, the engine technically has Z levels, but the game isn't made to support them.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Vas

Quote from: ZestyLemons on December 18, 2014, 07:39:10 AM
I think Tynan said that pathfinding was an issue with Z-levels, amongst other things.

It also means a lot of the current systems have to get a lot more complicated. For example:
- You have to be able to shoot at people below and above you
- ..and you need a good way to convey that information so that players understand where their pawns are getting shot from
- Temperature has to flow through Z levels, too
- If you have workbenches set up with bills, how does their search radius work in 3D? <-- that's probably a big one

Definitely not an all-inclusive list. Yeah, the engine technically has Z levels, but the game isn't made to support them.

Please read the topic.  Do not assume the topic based on the title.  This is not true Z Levels, colonists will never be able to leave the level they work on, however you will be able to build things at different levels.  Like Conduits does now.  Only you won't be able to see it unless you click to see certain levels or are building something that effects that level.

MajorMonotone

I agree with OP as well as the idea of being able to have people on multiple floors of buildings but obviously if it will over complicate things and become a major issue for Tynan then there isn't much he can do.

Arigas

He means something more like Layers in Photoshop. Effectively being able to build certain things "underground" even when your colonists don't change where they are, and just build it as normal. Best example I think of other than photoshop, check out the Utilities menu in Prison Architect. Same idea, its what he's talking about.

Evul

I should be happy if a z level in a form of trench crater or tower or cable and ventelation drawn in the ground. Not a direct new layer of the world due to the pathfinding but a more visual thing.

thefinn

Quote from: Vas on December 18, 2014, 02:16:46 AM
I suppose, but Z Levels would still be a great way to handle this.  Cause you can add extra levels for things that go deeper.  Like a lighting rod, to ground it you go to -3.  Steam Geysers go to -10, nothing can be between -10 and 0 on a geyser.  Etc, I'm sure there are other uses.

Make no doubt, I'd prefer Z-levels ;)

My god that would add so much to the complexity of the game it would be awesome.

Vas

Well actual Z levels for colonists to go up and down would be fun, but it would add too much complexity to the game I imagine.  AI path finding would become hell, and it is already turned down to lower levels which can get annoying already.  (I wish Tynan could make a scalable complexity path finding thing.)

However, it adds no path finding issues to add levels at which a building exists, so that is all fine and dandy to add, shouldn't be too hard either since conduits already sorta do that.  I just wish they were no longer visible, like under the floors.

elStrages

I was think this, thismorning, that it would be nice to be able to build up, at least 1 level.

milon

Quote from: Evul on December 20, 2014, 04:47:09 PM
I should be happy if a z level in a form of trench crater or tower or cable and ventelation drawn in the ground. Not a direct new layer of the world due to the pathfinding but a more visual thing.

That's a really cool idea, but the problem is what happens when a Trench 'structure' gets destroyed?  It would leave behind debris on top of normal terrain, which doesn't really make sense.

Evul

Quote from: milon on December 22, 2014, 02:47:10 PM
Quote from: Evul on December 20, 2014, 04:47:09 PM

That's a really cool idea, but the problem is what happens when a Trench 'structure' gets destroyed?  It would leave behind debris on top of normal terrain, which doesn't really make sense.

Destroyed trench; less cover new texture, if you bomb it become cratre. Aka it's indestructible unless you sell it. Then you fill the hole.

Edit: I gona se if I can mod this.