Do colonists automatically change clothes according to temperature?

Started by The Man with No Name, April 05, 2017, 12:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man with No Name

Do colonists automatically change clothes according to temperature, such as putting on a parka when it's cold and taking it off when its hot?

Or should one create a Summerwear outfit with parka disabled and a Winterwear outfit with it allowed, and then change this manually with the changing seasons?

Hans Lemurson

I'm pretty sure you have to do the second one, have Warm-Weather and Cold-Weather outfits prepared, then switch between.

Or, since as far as I'm aware we do not have the ability to mass re-designate outfits, you can just modify your "standard" outfit as needed for the heat and cold.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

JimmyAgnt007

No, they will grab leather parkas on an sea ice even though wool is the only thing that will keep them from dying. 

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

The Man with No Name

Quote from: Tynan on April 05, 2017, 02:30:47 PM
Yes they will.

Thanks.

So in terms of temperature alone, one could hypothetically not touch the Assign clothes tab and never force colonists to wear clothes, and they will automatically change clothes according to their temperature needs?

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

The Man with No Name

Quote from: Tynan on April 05, 2017, 03:07:47 PM
That is how it's supposed to work.
Cool, that's good to hear. It feels like it should be something fully automatable, and not needing player intervention, similar to sleeping and eating.

I did see a couple of colonists not wearing parkas in cold weather, so I forced them into wearing them, but maybe I missed something, so I'll have a closer look if I see it again.

How does it work? When a certain temperature is reached colonists will change clothes? Are all colonists the same or will some stand lower temperatures before putting on a parka/removing it?

What about jackets? Will they put a jacket on if not wearing one? And tuques/headwear?

How does the automated clothes management system combine and interact with player's assigned clothing decisions?

cmitc1

man idk, I swear just yesterday I had to force a pawn to take his parka off... maybe I'm not recalling correctly, but still.

The Man with No Name

I've been watching my colonists' dressing habits a bit more closely. It looks as though their default behaviour, with the wear anything/everything ticked setting, is that they will always try and wear three layers of clothing (not sure about headwear). So Pants, T-Shirt/Button Shirt, and Duster/Jacket/Parka. They will continue to wear parkas into the summer if there's no duster or jacket available to wear, and they will put a parka back on in Summer if it's force-removed and there's nothing else available. I don't know if it's any different during heat wave periods.

So making a Summerwear/hot weather outfit setting might be useful to prevent colonists wearing parkas if no dusters or jackets are available.

The colonists did appear to swap between jackets and parkas automatically, though, with the changing temperature, if the apparel was available.

giannikampa

My qestion about this is if they change outfit MATERIAL according to the temperature.
In my game I have plenty of wool and devilstrand shirts int hi-quality storage. During coldsnaps (-15°C to -20°C so i forbid parkas by default because unnecessary) i get the message that someone has inappropriate temperature dressing, and normally is someone that has devilstrand jaket, pants and shirt. It does not seems they go for corresponding made of wool even if it would be enought.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Tynan on April 05, 2017, 03:07:47 PM
That is how it's supposed to work.

Ive repeatedly had to micro manage pawns in -100 weather to wear the wool parkas instead of leather.  Had to manually deny them from wearing jackets as well.  So they might not 'see' the difference.  Maybe wool parkas can be made different from leather.

Ford_Prefect

zeidrich

I just looked at this recently.  In A16 the way it works is:

1. Colonists value clothing based on the clothing's sharp and blunt armor rating.
2. Colonists reduce the score based on how damaged it is.
3. A score offset is might be given under certain other circumstances.
4. If a colonist is too cold, and apparel will make them warmer, the warmer clothing will be more appealing.
5. If the the clothing was worn by a dead person, the clothing will be much less appealing.

A pawn might wear a leather jacket over a parka when they are too cold if the parka is a damaged deadman's parka.
A pawn will wear a parka over a duster if the parka has better defense values than the duster even if the pawn is dying of heatstroke.
A pawn that is wearing a duster and cowboy hat and getting cold will put on a parka or a tuque in most circumstances.

Pawns will generally put on warmer clothes, but will not generally put on cooler clothes unless those clothes are more protective.

The Man with No Name