[A12d] Assignable Crafting (v2a)

Started by MaskOfLoki, December 08, 2015, 11:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaskOfLoki

Assignable Crafting

Description:
A simple mod that allows vanilla and modded crafting stations to limit usage to a smaller set of colonists. This is accomplished via a "Workers" tab which shows up on the inspector when a compatible crafting station has been selected.

Future Plans
- Clean up UI a little
- Only allow colonists who have the required skill be assigned

Author/Mod Team
MaskOfLoki

Download
Download
- Github repository coming soon!

How to install:
- Make sure you have Community Core Library installed, minimum v0.12.4
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game. Make sure it loads after every other mod.

Licensing:
- This mod may be used in modpacks
- Derivatives of this mod can be created as long as proper credit is given

Fluffy (l2032)

Very interesting!

I have a few comments though:
First off, you're basically replacing all vanilla workstations. This is a bit awkward, as it's prone to mod conflicts, and modded buildings won't work. Have you thought about adding this functionality in a comp instead? You could inject the comp into all Building_Billgivers with CCL. Then you could have the workgiver check the comp, and the only thing you'ld need to overwrite is the workgiver - which you are already overriding anyway. This way, modded buildings should automagically work, and there's less risk of conflicts with other mods that change vanilla buildings.

Second, how do you feel about integrating this into my manager mod? :D I feel it fits perfectly (possibly with the above mentioned changes and some additions)!

MaskOfLoki

I agree it is a bit awkward, but at the time I needed a quick fix and it fit the bill. I'll look into converting it over to using a component.

What benefits would there be in adding it to you manager mod? I usually like to make things modular so people can pick and choose what features they want, but if there are some compelling benefits, I would love to know.

Fluffy (l2032)

Frankly, for you, not many :P

From a player's point of view I suspect the type of micromanaging player that enjoys your mod will also enjoy mine, and your mod provides a great extention of functionality offered by mine.

I realise now that integration probably doesn't really give you anything, so I think I might try to put some options to set owners in my mod, using yours to actually do the work, if that's ok by you? Mind you, I'd first have to figure out if it's even possible to determine at runtime if your mod is available or not - I don't particularly want to maintain two different versions.

MaskOfLoki

I've done a quick look, and this should work to detect my mod, at least:

LoadedModManager.LoadedMods.Where(mod => mod.name.Equals("Assignable Worktables")).Count() > 0

And thanks for pointing me towards CCL. I think that will be a great help to me.  :)

MaskOfLoki

I could see that working, but then you would be forcing the player to have to remember who their best worker for that specific bill type is. I figure it would be better gameplay for the player to be able to "set it and forget it".

Grogfeld

Hi MaskOfLoki.
It's a great idea but will you try to make it mod friendly? It would be great if it work with every workshop delivered by mods. It sounds great even for vanilla workshops but in this case bigger is better ;)

MaskOfLoki

I'm working on converting it over to Community Core so that it is completely mod friendly.

MaskOfLoki

Hey guys, I've updated the mod. You can now assign multiple colonists to a crafting station instead of just one colonist.

I also renamed the mod to Assignable Crafting because it made more sense.

lude

this mod compatible with all kind of modded work benches would be awesome and make it possible to just add it to randomly downloaded modpacks

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.0 here it was done for alpha9
it has the same functionality as your mod, just the way it's implemented is different

DarkSlayerEX

It's a shame the download link isn't working =(

This mod was exactly what I've been looking for...

LustrousWolf

Nebbeh

Aww. Saw this mod and thought YES this isa must have mod! But alas I have been fooled! :P Really hoping for a working link for this. Is there an eta on a fix on the link? Or maybe someone already has this and can upload it somewhere?

Grimandevil

here. i think it is the latest ver.
will remove when OP shows up

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

123mind123

Will this mod ever be updated and is there a way to get it to work on A13? That said would be happy to try updating it my self, if the author doesn't mind and some one can tell me where to start (As I have never modded this