Got an idea for future modules?

Started by WhackyRavenLand, October 04, 2013, 03:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhackyRavenLand

Okay, so every single module mentioned at the kickstarter page is something I want to see in the game.  Figured since we had a "Idea for an incident" thread, we might as well have a "Future modules" thread.  May not have to be full blown modules, but rather small add-ons? Perhaps in between the bigger modules themselves?

My suggestions.

- A deep and proper system for technology/equipment development.
- Ability to use some forms of transportation (scouting vehicles and such).
- Character creation/customization (for maybe one starting character?).
- Inventory management (maybe even some form of weapon customization?).
- Pets/animal companions.
- Tower defence mode (not a personal fan of those, but could be a fun edition. Maybe even modders could make something like that).
- Perks, abilities and level up system (for individuals and/or your "faction").

There is something I would love to see in this game though.  An ability to travel to and/or colonize other worlds (if this could even be possible at all). Some kind of (world)map of the worlds and the universe. A stage where you'd have to make every preparation for the trip it self and to start making a new settlement.

Anyone else got ideas for future modules that would make an already awesome-looking game even better? :)

RB

Semmy

welcome to the forums..

and nice post.
Dunno if you deserve a +1 or -1 because of the tower defence mention d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

WhackyRavenLand

Haha! Thanks. I could take both, stay in neutral?  ;)
TD isn't my cup of tea, just thought I'd mention it for whom ever out there would like that idea  :P

RB

British

Quote from: WhackyRavenLand on October 04, 2013, 03:44:35 PM
There's already so many people not understanding Prison Architect's assets were not "stolen", and now you want to add pets to RimWorld when PA just announced they added dogs ?
You sir (safe assumption, if you'll allow me), are fishing for mayhem ! ::) :P

Sky_walker

WhackyRavenLand - you basically asked for an RPG.
It's different genre. ;)
Please, focus on a core of being colony sim instead of drifting away.
BTW: Character creation is already in as far as I seen in the vids. ;)

What I'd love though are things like advanced infection modelling allowing people to experience an epidemic in your base and handling it differently (eg. quarantine zones, vaccine development, experimentation with drugs and herbs to cure disease itself, or just it's symptoms, various medical equipments and skills leading to different outcomes and resource management, perhaps some crazy twists from time to time, like a disease that turns people into psychopaths, or one that makes them go towards the sun... forever... or one that makes them thirsty... thirsty till they explode of drinking water ;) ).

It'd be great to have a simulation on how environment affects people and colony - for example a fight for water should be one of major topics with drilling wells, creating water deposits, managing contamination, sending your colonists to look for a new sources, creating irrigation systems, and how it's more difficult on desert than anywhere else. How lush green terrain means constant fight with bushes and a need to clean your farms regularly. How invasive animals attack plantations, even more so when these are mono-cultural, and how inventing a herbicides can lead to contamination of water or food. Simulate how different plants can scare off critters or animals from destroying crops, and how plants in glass houses require man-made pollination - which means more maintenance work during some parts of the season. etc. etc.

Also more advance modeling of social relations would be IMHO very beneficial to the gameplay, especially when it comes to people creating small groups, fights for leadership, different leadership models (eg. democratic, authoritarian, council of elders), couples, people living through the loss of second half, perhaps even managing of child birth and slowly growing new members of the colony this way - "breeding" people with each other to get desired types (eg. a child of medic and scientist could give medical researcher, while a child of medic and woodcutter would give a surgeon ;P ), etc. etc.
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

British

Tynan didn't rule out advanced levels of micro-management, but yes, a good part of what Whacky proposed may be overboard.
Time (and the man himself) will tell, though !

Sky_walker

Ok, you're right.
What I meant to say is that it'd be a shame if RW would turn into an RPG from Colony Sim by focusing too much on micro-management stuff and too little on macro scale. There are dozens if not hundreds of sci-fi RPGs out there, hardly any need for yet another.
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

WhackyRavenLand

Come now, it's not but mere suggestions. Things that I would like to have in the game at some point, either from Tynan and his crew or by modders. Is that not why I put up this thread in the first place? For people to air some thoughts and suggestions?  ;)

Also, I agree that it's more of a micro managing/rpg angle to this game that I'd like to see in addition, but whatever the form, design and function of this game...I will love it and play it regardless!

RB

WhackyRavenLand

Quote from: British on October 04, 2013, 05:03:29 PM
There's already so many people not understanding Prison Architect's assets were not "stolen", and now you want to add pets to RimWorld when PA just announced they added dogs ?

I really had no idea about that, hmm. Haven't played PA for quite some time now, so I might have to disappoint you...I am not fishing for mayhem!  ;D

RB

Semmy

Quote from: WhackyRavenLand on October 04, 2013, 05:50:45 PM
Quote from: British on October 04, 2013, 05:03:29 PM

I really had no idea about that, hmm. Haven't played PA for quite some time now, so I might have to disappoint you...I am not fishing for mayhem!  ;D

RB

we understand (-;
go play pa it deserves it.
Edmund Burke

British

Quote from: WhackyRavenLand on October 04, 2013, 05:48:45 PM
Come now, it's not but mere suggestions. Things that I would like to have in the game at some point, either from Tynan and his crew or by modders. Is that not why I put up this thread in the first place? For people to air some thoughts and suggestions?  ;)
Of course you can make suggestion, that's the whole point of the forum: discussing about stuff.

But by doing so, you do open discussion about *your* discussion :P

WhackyRavenLand

Quote from: British on October 04, 2013, 05:52:13 PM
Of course you can make suggestion, that's the whole point of the forum: discussing about stuff.

But by doing so, you do open discussion about *your* discussion :P

Haha, indeed. Have to admit, never been much of a forum jockey :p So I humbly ask forgiveness for my recent retardation x)

Now, no more off topic for me. I'd very much like to hear what everyone else would like to see in this game besides incidents and the other modules suggested by Tynan on the KS page :)

RB

Semmy

Check out the forum alot of suggestions already there.

I do think that people need to play the game to get a feeling about what they would like to see more or differently. Or what a good addition would be.

Edmund Burke

British

Don't sweat it ;)

Regarding modules, I actually would like to know what the limits are.

Then I could propose stuff :D

WhackyRavenLand

Quote from: Semmy on October 04, 2013, 06:02:02 PM
Check out the forum alot of suggestions already there.

I do think that people need to play the game to get a feeling about what they would like to see more or differently. Or what a good addition would be.

I could not agree more with you on that. As of right now, despite videos and such, everything and anything would be mere speculations.

RB