Cassandra vs Randy

Started by Shurp, August 12, 2016, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So after getting bored and annoyed with Cassandra, I decided to give Randy a try.  And I think I like the results.  Randy dropped a ship part on me (Cassandra has been very stingy with those, boooring!) so I built my sandbags and sent everyone to bed so they'd be rested for the assault the next morning.

At the crack of dawn the pirates attacked! 

So my colonists killed them and spent the rest of the day cleaning up after them... and the prisoner went berserk and required a beat down... so now it's night time and everyone's asleep preparing for tomorrow's raid.  We'll see if Randy lets me attack this time :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

newcadence

I don't like Cassandra because she's too predictable. Randy 5 life.

Shurp

On the minus side, I just discovered that I did not remove inferno cannons from a14.  Blah. 

And meanwhile, my prisoner has gone berserk *repeatedly*... isn't he supposed to get a cartharsis effect?  Constantly beating him down is tedious :(

[edit] silly me, I don't have to remove inferno cannons.  I can just cut their range down to 15... that will make them manageable.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

PolecatEZ

I personally love Randy...he actually let me get about 26 prisoners (to my 7 colonists) built up...then he let them rebel :)  The other ones will cheat you so you can't get up to that many people.  For a good 2-3 hours, I was playing Prison Architect and RimWorld at the same time :)

Once they start rebelling though, there isn't much you can do to keep them from repeating it.  Even after we managed to whittle them down to just one prisoner, he still tried to rebel constantly.  Next time they build up like that I'm starting an organ harvesting factory.  A lung, kidney, and heart add up to as much as a whole prisoner when you sell them.

Michigo

Quote from: PolecatEZ on August 12, 2016, 09:24:51 PM
I personally love Randy...he actually let me get about 26 prisoners (to my 7 colonists) built up...then he let them rebel :)  The other ones will cheat you so you can't get up to that many people.  For a good 2-3 hours, I was playing Prison Architect and RimWorld at the same time :)

Once they start rebelling though, there isn't much you can do to keep them from repeating it.  Even after we managed to whittle them down to just one prisoner, he still tried to rebel constantly.  Next time they build up like that I'm starting an organ harvesting factory.  A lung, kidney, and heart add up to as much as a whole prisoner when you sell them.

You could always build your ginourmous prison out of stone and have a bunch of AC's ready to cook (or freeze) rebellious prisoners. :D

chaotix14

Quote from: Michigo on August 13, 2016, 10:15:08 AM
Quote from: PolecatEZ on August 12, 2016, 09:24:51 PM

You could always build your ginourmous prison out of stone and have a bunch of AC's ready to cook (or freeze) rebellious prisoners. :D

Improvised turret(s) in the corner(s), also doubles as riot control in the case of a prison break.

zandadoum

Problem with randy is that yes: he throws 3 consecutive things at your face... But they are not really hard and the you get a long time if resting.

This didn't happen in a13 I think he might have been nerfed in a14   

Cass is predictable, be she gets harder and harder while randy apparently doesn't.

Skaliri

Personally a big fan of Randy, although I must say I have not got much experience :p

He does usually throws a buncha different bad things at you at the same time (and the most akward time at that), but it can also ahve hilarious results, for me the best experience with randy:
Half my people are down with flu and wounds from a previous raider attack the night before. I get a new raider attack. I fear I am completely screwed. 2 seconds later, a manhunter pack of boomalopes... I was already tearing my hair out in pure frustration, about to quit and call it a night, when I realised that the boomalopes spawned next to and are now fighting the raiders... 10/10 would watch raiders being blown up and lit on fire by suicidal boomalopes again.

Although I do have to agree with what Zandadoum said: he sometimes feels a bit lackluster. On the other hand, I now grew up to 23(!) colonists (I admit, I savescummed a few times when I did oopsies like forget to turn off mortars and kill 4 of my own guys like that). and while the raids are usually meh-ish (all hail sniper rifles and miniguns), the 18 rhino manhunter pack he threw at me was tough as nails and even with drawing them to my full defence line I suffered 2 destroyed legs (no deaths tho! :D)

In my opinion the most fun of Randy is that he gives a lot of high risk but high reward stuff: I had my first (and I'll admit, only siege so far) pretty early in the game. However, waiting for the right moment to strike with my animal army (nothing says fun like 4 tamed grizzlies after less than a month) I gained mortars, 2 fragnades and a sniper rifle very early on in the game (specially since I was playing as tribe, thus the research being ages away), allowing me to deal with the tougher stuff like poison / psychic ships a lot better.

Of course, on my very first permadeath playthrough, he has been taking revenge: within the first month I went through all my starting colonists AND the 4 I got after that (Heatwave while I was recovering from infections, my main builder died in the previous raid. finally managed to build an airconditioning, raiders attack and focus purely the airconditioning... lost 4 more colonists and 2 prisoners to heatstroke, would have been the end if it wasn't for my one heat tolerant guy who haden't collapsed yet and was able to make one just in time for my last other survivor, only to have the heatwave end about 1-2 ingame hours later><) . I now have, after only about half a year ingame time, 7 graves and only 4 people left, who are basically good at nothing.
Although I did like him helping me when I was down to 2 civvies: I first got an offer from 1 on the run for pirates, and I was like, fuck it, I got 1 pacifist and only 1 survival rifle, but I got to do this, I don't see me getting civvies in another way... And just as the raid hits, Randy spawns in a random wanderer who joins me: a boss with 14 shooting and 11 melee, who came in to save the day.

Listen1

Quote from: zandadoum on August 13, 2016, 03:21:30 PM
Problem with randy is that yes: he throws 3 consecutive things at your face... But they are not really hard and the you get a long time if resting.

Cass is predictable, be she gets harder and harder while randy apparently doesn't.

You got that wrong, cassandra shouldn't do it, but she is doing it enough to create some very, very anoying gameplay. I didn't enjoy any of the Cassadra plays I did. She is sending one event after another and scailling way too fast.

AnDelusionalDog

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on August 13, 2016, 06:56:37 PM

You got that wrong, cassandra shouldn't do it, but she is doing it enough to create some very, very anoying gameplay. I didn't enjoy any of the Cassadra plays I did. She is sending one event after another and scailling way too fast.

I always thought cassandra was supposed to be like that. Basically predictable starts slow but ramps up to kick your ass.

Also zandadoum I believe I read that randy's event frequency went down from 1.5 to 1.0 so there are less events over all. Thats probably why he gets so boring in between the fun in a14 as I noticed that as well.

I wonder if they made everything slightly easier for the steam release. I usually played on randy rough as im still pretty new but should probably go to challenge or whatever the next is.

zandadoum

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on August 13, 2016, 06:56:37 PM

She is suposed to be like that and one of the things that determine her difficulty spike is your wealth.

I have lost count on how many streamers I watched on Cassandra that got an early ship or thrumbo and got pwned on the next raid because they had the AI core or thrumbo horn stored and cassandras diff spiked through the roof.

MisterSpock1

I think all AI scripter have the same calculation of threath

watch this: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/3a7u65/are_the_raids_sent_against_you_calculated_by_time/

Randy dont care about Conditional probability. So he might send 3 bad events to you or sometimes 3 good events. Cassandra take more care about that and not sending you to much bad/good stuff at one time. She will try to mix that.

So surviving at randy is more rng. When you did one year at randy ppl can still say, you just got lucky.