[Mod Commission Offer] Updating the Alpha Animals patch for CE

Started by Coomissar, December 16, 2019, 09:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coomissar

Hey folks!

I'm looking to pay someone with a decent understanding of CE's balance to update the Alpha Animals patch currently integrated into the Combat Evolved Fast Track team, as seen here https://github.com/AthenaSulisMinerva/CombatExtendedFastTrack/tree/master/Patches/Alpha%20Animals.

(I am not affiliated with the Combat Extended team, CE: Fast Track team, or the creator(s) of the original patch - all credit to their respective authors).

In summary the creatures in the mod are missing CE values like armor / penetration for its animals, is balanced for the vanilla animals rather than the CE-enhanced animals (meaning the new animals are far weaker than the CE-enhanced ones), has some buggy projectiles, and is missing support for creatures used by the Alpha Biomes mod (which I would also like to see patched as a part of this commission, though as its a biome mod it will only require the patching of a dozen or so items/materials with some CE values).

I tried asking on the CE:FT github but they said they don't accept commissions, which is entirely understandable. Here is a more in-depth analysis of some of the problems with the existing patch I posted on the github:

"Summary of problems:

1.Animals lack CE stats like armor penetration and armor values, resulting in log error spam and creatures being weaker than they should be.
    1b. Present animal stats out of balance with the modded CE core animals across the board, with weaker attacks and very low armor ratings. For example, the black hive insectoids are supposed to be upgraded versions of the core megascarabs/megaspiders/etc, but the patch makes them worse than their CE-improved core counterparts.

Ideally I would like to see the CE-patched AA creatures more/less powerful to CE-patched core creatures to roughly the same proportions as base AA creatures are to base vanilla creatures, if that makes sense.

2.Certain projectiles and items appear to be broken. The galatross horn doesn't have CE melee weapons stats (ideally it should be disabled as a weapon to be in line with CE's thrumbo horn / elephant tusk) while black hive projectiles do multiple hundred points of blunt damage instead of some acid damage one would expect. These are just the ones I've found so I would assume other animal projectiles have problems as well. I have not checked if the modded leathers are in line with the CE leathers, balance or stat wise.

3.No support for animals referenced by Advanced Biomes. They lack patches altogether, which, while I understand may not be in the scope of AA integration, I would like to humbly request to be implemented."

The nice thing about having an existing patch to work with is that adjusting the creature stats is very easy. I was able to patch one animal completely to standard with CE with stats that were appropriately higher than its weaker variant in the core version of the game, as someone with zero experience in coding. I can only imagine that someone actually familiar with Rimworld's patching format should be able to work this far more efficiently than me. I'm really just looking to save my time. I am less confident in my ability to patch Alpha Biomes, which likewise would involve changing the stats of a few weapons and resources added by the mod, simply because there is no infrastructure in place. Regardless, I am more than willing to compensate someone for their work.

Please let me know if you are interested or have any questions and how best we can get in touch. Thank you!