Vegetarians

Started by Amaror, June 09, 2014, 12:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaror

Seriously Tynan, what do you have against Vegetarians?
I just noticed that fine meals are only possible with meat + plants. I can cook some mighty fine meals without meat just fine, tynan, thank you very much!
Seriously though why is that. The need to use 2 seperate ressources is clear, but it should be possible to use potatoes and berries for example.

linkxsc

the games not even out yet and right now many systems are basically placeholders. Hell u lucky if you can even get fine meals cause after 100 days of a person turning out food i still dont ave the skill for them.

im sure in the future things like characters beong vegetarian or vegan may be a thing and perhaps theyll get negative thoughts from eating meat (but they will if say theyre starving)

d_v8

Maybe there could be a crafting table for preparing vegetables ? The product of these could be similar to the butchering system.
A frag grenade is a always an option.

Untrustedlife

Taht would be interesting.....

Perhaps you could just require more variety (for example we will get animal husbandry.. so cheese (that adds another food type) so you could possibly make a fine meal out of cheese and vegetables>
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Neone

I'm not much interested in all that vegan/vegetarian stuff, but AFAIK they need to supplement iron.

So... then since there is no supplements in RW, then it makes sense, that you need both meat and vegetables.

Amaror

None of you actually read my post, didn't you?
I am not asking tynan to implement vegetarians. I am just a bit angry about the fact that fine meals and above in rimworld have to have meat in them. That's it.

Quote from: Neone on June 09, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
I'm not much interested in all that vegan/vegetarian stuff, but AFAIK they need to supplement iron.

So... then since there is no supplements in RW, then it makes sense, that you need both meat and vegetables.

No they don't. Don't talk about something that you have no clue about, it makes you look stupid.
Vegans might need Protein and B12 supplements. Vegetarians don't need supplements at all. Nobody needs iron supplements. There's plenty of iron in vegetables.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Amaror on June 09, 2014, 02:49:36 PM
I am not asking tynan to implement vegetarians. I am just a bit angry about the fact that fine meals and above in rimworld have to have meat in them. That's it.

Quote from: Neone on June 09, 2014, 02:39:45 PM

No they don't. Don't talk about something that you have no clue about, it makes you look stupid.
Vegans might need Protein and B12 supplements. Vegetarians don't need supplements at all. Nobody needs iron supplements. There's plenty of iron in vegetables.

Did you not like my idea :(
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

linkxsc

and you didnt read my post about how this stuff is only at a placeholder level right now.
and really is it something to get all bent out of shape about just pop over to the modding from and ask someone to do a quick mod for you. shouldnt take then too long for something so simple.

besides as a side not i could be upset that fine and lavish meals require veggies. what if i wanted my colony to be wanderers who hunt the local wildlife for all their food. but im not.

Pulaskimask

I will first contest your statement that nobody needs iron supplements and then move on to my ideas about a vegan diet in Rimworld. Firstly, iron supplements are one of the few supplements that are actually very useful and even necessary in a lot of cases. Patients with large amounts of blood loss from traumatic injuries often need iron supplements. Pregnant women are universally recommended to take iron supplements due to their much, much higher iron requirements that most do not meet without supplementation. And vegan women who become anemic often require iron supplementation to overcome their anemia in a timely fashion and get their iron stores restored to normal levels.

That said I have thought before about a vegan diet in Rimworld and believe that unless significant changes where made to the food and technology available it simply wouldn't be realistic to have a vegan diet under such circumstances.

1. Iron: in the US the population on average gets half of its iron from grain products because those are usually fortified with iron. There's no iron fortification in Rimworld, so half their iron is already gone.

Due to the non-heme iron found in plant foods being absorbed less easily the recommended amount of iron for vegans is 1.8 times higher than non-vegans. Women between the ages of 19-50 are recommended to take 18 mg of iron, a lot more than males of the same age who only have to take 8mg. 1.8 x 18 = 32.4mg of iron for vegan women. Without meat or fortified grain they would need to get their iron from spinach, soybeans, lentils or from some sort of niche food source. Even then a cup of raw spinach has .81mg of iron, meaning a vegan woman selectively getting iron from spinach would need to eat 40 cups of raw spinach a day.

2. Protein, this would require a combination of grains and legumes to added to the game so complete protein could be gotten without meat.

3. Vitamin B16 comes mostly from fortified foods or you can just eat nutritional yeast which happens to go good with siracha on popcorn.

I thought a while back that veganism is too niche to make the changes needed to make it realistic on Rimworld where the diversity of foodstuffs is much lesser than that found in modern, developed nations. That is unless you lampshaded it by just claiming that somehow the nutrient paste contains all your nutritional needs.

As for your original idea of fine meals only requiring vegetables, it is a subjective matter, but objectively speaking many people do not subjectively think vegetable-only meals are fine. The reason that a fine meal requires meat and vegetables is primarily a gameplay mechanic to force the player to hunt and farm if they want to eat better meals, but realistically most people want meat in their meals, although colonists could be given individual tastes. Similarly, as others have pointed out you could also complain about vegetables being required for a fine meal when many would consider a well-made steak by itself to be fine.

Col_Jessep

My cat has it right: The best food squeaks... =3

I think it's just a balance thing. You need to hunt to get meat. Which means you can't just do it in a hydroponics farm deep in the mountain, you have to go outside. It means extra effort and you are rewarded with a higher quality meal. So unless you can name a vegetable that needs to be hunted down and shot... ;P

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Tynan

Derp, I didn't even think about the vegetarian angle. However, the requirement that a fine meal have meat is not intended as an insult to vegetarian cooks!

Basically I did it this way for balance reasons. You could do potato/strawberry, but it's easy to just split a growing zone and make both those. Meat at least requires you to engage in a different activity.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Pulaskimask

Quote from: Col_Jessep on June 09, 2014, 07:59:17 PM
So unless you can name a vegetable that needs to be hunted down and shot... ;P

We can mod those. :D

Serrate Bloodrage

Just wanted to throw my 2c in. As has been said, the recipes available will, Im sure, change on their way through to Beta and release.
In Version 2 I did create some vegetarian recipes myself after some research-
Agave Glazed Potato Rings 60 mins
Potato and Strawberry Pudding 50 mins
Strawberry Potato Salad (1 Agave sweetener) 20 mins
Berry Preserve 55 mins

That's just the quick notes on what I had put in game.

I do want to note that Agave can be a difficult resource (like meat) if you return to 'harvesting kills the plant'. The Agave plant dies after flowering http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave

I know it's probably unnecessary detail for you Tynan, and I wish I had the time to keep working on my mini-mods, but life is extra busy atm.
So if anyone wants to use any of the info I just listed feel free.

Really is an amazing game that keeps growing!

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Tynan on June 09, 2014, 08:01:30 PM
Derp, I didn't even think about the vegetarian angle. However, the requirement that a fine meal have meat is not intended as an insult to vegetarian cooks!

Basically I did it this way for balance reasons. You could do potato/strawberry, but it's easy to just split a growing zone and make both those. Meat at least requires you to engage in a different activity.

Perhaps once we can tame animals you should add cheese? <- different foodtype
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

Mattaru

this is why no one likes vegetarians  ;)