Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jam

Hi all, I'm Jam. I've been lurking on the forums for a couple weeks now so it was about time I introduced myself!

-How'd I find RimWorld?
Beaglerush (a top notch XCOM streamer & YouTuber) was streaming RimWorld so I checked it out and bought it on an impulse, best impulsive purchase I've ever made :D

-Favorite other games?
Pretty much any game with characters (mostly companions) that I can pour my soul into. Some examples being Knights of the Old Republic 1&2, the Mass Effect Series, and XCOM. I also like APB: Reloaded for its amount of customization, and Vindictus (my greatest source of new wallpapers.)
Too proud of these screenshots to not share a couple: http://imgur.com/a/RcF9F

-Favorite breakfast
Waffles! And Bacon! and Sausage!

-More about me
I do my fair share of reporting bugs, or just weird stuff, that I come across in various games, but I can't really apply to be a tester in good conscience (dealing with depression makes it hard to devote time to... well just about everything.)

Currently in-between jobs while I try to figure out what I wanna do with life. I've recently developed an interest in animating and might go further with it, been learning to use Blender.

I also love gifs

Zuban Artig

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

I usually don't like real time strategy, because the genre somehow expects the player to be everywhere at once.
I stumbled upon rimworld via a letsplay video on youtube, watched a while an thought it might be fun anyway. Fortunately I'm somehow able to manage even if it is RTS.

-What's your favorite other game?
I quite like Morrowind and Sid Meyers Alpha Centauri.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?

Since I'm generally not a multiplayer, I don't have any.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

Every cereal without raisins and cinnemon.

Regret

Hi I am Regret.

I can't remember how I found RimWorld but I've always liked strategy games. I'm not sure how to classify RimWorld other than that,
Survival-sim? Anyway, I like it.

My favourite games are Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Borderlands, Jagged Alliance, X-COM, Prison Architect, and a million others. I'm kinda addicted. I even still play The Horde.

Most embarrassing gaming related moment? Attacking the pacifist duck-people in King Of Dragon Pass, getting my ass kicked by them while angering their friends the Minotaurs who kill my scouting group (including my leader) and soon came to raid my village. I rage-quit  :-[. (don't like losing to Donald Duck.)

I like biology, chemistry, and physics. Also philosophy.
My life-long dream is to go to Mars.

sebastianglez07

hi there, im actually newbie here,  im studying animaton and working on timeshare attorney business, feel free to ask something : D

Kairo Kemaro

Hello I'm Kairo Kermaro!
I'm just your average console gamer who made a change to PC. I like strategies games and anime, And recently got interested in programming, though I don't know how to do it, just interested in learning.

I was introduced to Rimworld by the many let's players on YouTube, and it looked like a awesome game, so I bought it and it was worth it.

My favorite games are: The whole fallout series, and civ.

The most embarrassing gaming experience has to be the time I was wiped out by filthy tribals in rimworld...

And last but certainly not least, my favorite cereal is Frosted flakes!

fabz159

Hey I'm Fabz159 from France (so sorry for my english)

I started getting interest in RimWorld When i was playing Space Base DF9 who was realy frustrating, i search the internet looking for some mod or things for this game and see a lot of mention of RW, then i watch a youtube video and that's it.

I'm a Hardcore Civilization 4 BtS Player.

i never try bulding the space ship in RW i think its usless.

I don't eat in the morning.

Jurishen

Hello! My name is David. I am from the U.S. - Florida, to be exact.
I love competitive gaming. Genres like RTS, mobas and fighting games are my forte. Not a fan of shooters though.
My favorite game series would probably be Final Fantasy or Metroid.

Most embarrassing gaming moment?
That is a tough one. But I would have to go with botching a raid in World of Warcraft. This was back during the first WoW expansion and raid groups were much larger. As a hunter it was my job to mark a target/player and transfer the aggro generated to the tank so it attacked the right target. I did not pay attention to the raid starting so I was not able to have the target focus the tank and the raid wiped because the target cleaved through the back line. It left 39 people wondering what happened. It also happened a second time, though that one was not my fault. The Tank moved behind a structure and with no vision of him I could not select him to cast anything. I was given the title of "The Blind Sniper" for a while after those incidents.
Victory or death!

Bongfu

Hey there, I am pretty new to Rimworld. I am sad that it took until Alpha 9 for me to find this game. I am super excited about the future of this game as it is becoming one of my favourite things to play.

My life in a nutshell: I am an astrophysicist turned chef turned anthropologist. My interest are varied, I even have a minor in engineering. Currently I am working through an anthropology degree as a volunteer for a local food bank.

I like to write, paint, and create. I am very much a science fiction nerd and an aspiring science fiction writer. Who knows, I might write up some Rimworld fanfic soon. (Shameless plug to Tynan: If you want someone to contribute to writing fluff my gf and I would be happy to!)

My ultimate dreams are to get into graduate school at Lund University so I can study the ancient/medieval Scandinavian people. Odd, I know, but I have a real passion for early Scandinavia.

RimWorld was a reddit accident. I saw someone post something in our of my subreddits about something that happened in game. I inquired as to what game it was and I was pleasantly directed this way. I admit, I may have had an illegal copy to try before I committed to buying the game. It was an Alpha 6 copy and even then I was hooked. Within the first two hours I spent my $30 and got a copy. Never been happier with the purchase of a pre-release game!

I am a Total War nerd. Mainly because I am a history nerd, but I do like the prospects of ruling your own history changing empire.

Not video gaming, but I play some table top games. The most embarrassing (and equally awesome) moment was introducing my girlfriend into tabletop games via Battletech. In the demo game she caught on very quickly and gave me a resounding stomping. She actually taught me how to play the game the way I do now with my other Battletech friends.

Granola, honey, and yogurt

My girlfriend, when not beating me at every tabletop game I get her to play, makes costumes as a side gig. This is one she made for my theatre company's annual "Cirque du Horror". Yes, that is me in there.

nightblue

Hi there!  I'm what you'd call a "late adopter" at this point I suppose :)  I've spent an entire weekend obsessing over the game and barely doing anything else.

I've made a vow to not buy into alpha or early access games until I'm happy with the existing features, rather than promised ones.  Rimworld's been on my radar for over half a year now.  A recent Let's Play video recommendation on Youtube reminded me, and after checking out the new feature list I could resist no longer.

I make my living as an artist, so when I obsess over a game like this I try to make some fan art too... just so I can claim the crazy amount of time I'm spending on games is somewhat "research and development" related :P  The last game that made me feel necessary to do this was Starbound, before this game.  I'm planning to post fan art of members of my new colonies in the story session.

Looking forward to hearing everybody's stories and learning from all the tips here.  GL HF :)
Don't mind me, just slacking off and having fun :)

ArtStation
DeviantArt

M

Hi my name is Max. I am a student and player (not pro player, I just love videogames).
I play Rimworld since Alpha 7 and the game is doing great. One of the best games I have played.

RimWorld. I was looking for a game of this genre for the first time and from the few options available RimWorld was the one for me. Game style, themes, art, strategy, management, dev progress, almost everything is outstanding.

Unreal Tournament 2004, C&CGeneralsZH, KillingFloor.

When I was 16 I spent 2 days gaming with friends nonstop... We had turns to sleep, to play, to cook, to eat, for bathroom... I am too old for this s#!t now...

The one that keeps you going

razgon

Well, the community here seems nice, so I figure why not actually make use of the "introduce yourself" thread for once!

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Qt3 - a gaming-centric forum that has existed for quite some years by now.

-What's your favorite other game - That would probably be Mount & Blade Warband, which I've spendt...1000+ hours on over the past 5 years if I have to make a guess.
-Most embarrassing gaming-related story? Ah, I think that is the above- that I've spent so much time on a game, that I could have learned a second language reasonably well in the same amount of time.
-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best? I'm more of a youghurt kinda guy.

I will say though, that this game has its hooks in - I'm very impressed with it so far, having come to the game a few days ago but already can see that I will have a ton of fun with it.

Anyways - thanks for all the quick replies to my temperature questions and I look forward to seeing you all on Rimworld some day!

Dran

Just wanna say thanks to Tynan for replying to me on twitter and reassuring me that he won't drop development of this game. I've bought other games in alpha only to be let down when they suddenly stop. Will be purchasing the game and joining this forum as well. :) Soo Hello everyone.

Adamiks

Quote from: Dran on March 21, 2015, 03:35:26 PM
Just wanna say thanks to Tynan for replying to me on twitter and reassuring me that he won't drop development of this game. I've bought other games in alpha only to be let down when they suddenly stop. Will be purchasing the game and joining this forum as well. :) Soo Hello everyone.

Hello :)

antibodee

Hi.  I'm Anti.  I have been playing these style of games and styles similar to it for around it for around 15 years, about half of my life.

I stumbled across Rimworld looking for games similar to 'Prison Architect' and 'Tropico.'

I loved Tropico 3 and 4, but 5 was absolutely horrible.  Prison Architect is fun as well, but ends up with the same issues as Rimworld, where it's designed to handle a decent population, but the game begins to lag unjustly for various reasons once your population reaches a certain size regardless of the quality of the system you use.

None the less, I think Rimworld may be the best game in this genre I've ever played as far as potential.  What it lacks in graphics it makes up with in foresight and gameplay, and I get excited following the dev updates waiting for them to hit a release.

Thank you for all your hard work.  You've made one of the best games in history, that has to make you feel a little better about it.

Turps

Hey everyone

Started playing early A8 and totally love it. Can't believe its still alpha, very enjoyable game as is but wait there is more to come!!! Woot! Love the battles, the dramas, storytelling and the epic "NOOOOOOOOO!!"s as one of your favourites dies. Well done to all involved with the game, thanks :)
Still rocking the vanilla game with the exception of EDB's UI and JulliaEllie's vien miner mods, thanks guys. Will try some others at some stage in the future.

First saw the game on youtuber "Paulsoaresjr" channel. He plays at a slow pace but is enjoyable with his role playing. Then found youtubes best rimworlder "Blitzlriegsler" and witnessed the creation of the mighty "MOO" epic series and he didn't use any turrets.

Ultimate breakfast is vanilla icecream.

Ultimate games are Xcom enemy unknown (the first one which is now called Ufo defence pfft!!), any Bauldrs gate, any Icewindale and Dayz mod on Arma2 forever (Arma3 is crap)

Laters
Its not a battle unless some limbs are getting shot off!