Allow colonists to buy things they want? Like an allowance.

Started by Call me Arty, December 04, 2017, 03:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

A small thing, but would help make the game feel a bit more alive in a way.
I just thought it might be neat to give my pawns a small bit of silver every once in a while, maybe once a month or per big task completed, I dunno. I just thought that with some colonies being so utilitarian - simple meals so as to maintain high food stores, no art as it wastes resources, etc - it was odd that no pawn just felt like borrowing some silver for a chocolate bar or pet dog, maybe a nice chair or lamp for their room.
Sure, it's a waste of resources, but you could just restrict some pawns from doing it, or make "spending spree" a a mental break. I just feel like it would help to add a human element.

Examples:
Allow [Tommy \/] [15 silver] per quadrum.
Allow [Abruno \/] [3 Silver] per crafting bill completed.
Allow [Tito-Zi \/] [160 silver] Maximum purchase from vendor.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Third_Of_Five

Evelyn

Sounds a lot like the Dwarven Economy in Dwarf Fortress and it was awful and disabled for a reason.

Guluere

Sbilko

If money is given to pawns, someone has to give it. Who is going to be that someone? You, an unrealistic and invisible God-like figure, or a corrupt bank pawn?

I'd go for the corrupt pawn.

By the way, what would pawns do with that money? Buy themselves a sculpture to beautify their room? And where would they place it?

lancar

It could perhaps be spent on various knick-knacks that don't have any specific in-game use apart from beautifying their bedroom.
For example, giving the pawn a little silver will over time make minor stuff appear in their bedroom, like photos on dressers, a teddy bear on the bed, a stack of books on the floor... y'know, minor things that indicate that a place is actually being lived in.
This stuff would disappear if the pawn dies, and can not be manually moved or controlled.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Call me Arty on December 04, 2017, 03:58:07 PM

Allow [Abruno \/] [3 Silver] per crafting bill completed.

This is also an interesting idea. Perhaps colonists would get a mood buff when doing jobs that they get paid for?

doomdrvk

Again as I said on another post, colonists are on the Rimworld to survive and get off, they are not there to make a living. If you're in a survival situation are you really going to worry about an allowance when you're always in danger. Colonists can't afford to have a lust for money when there are mechanoids, manhunters and raiders always coming to kill them.

Guluere

Quote from: doomdrvk on December 05, 2017, 02:00:21 PM
Again as I said on another post, colonists are on the Rimworld to survive and get off, they are not there to make a living. If you're in a survival situation are you really going to worry about an allowance when you're always in danger. Colonists can't afford to have a lust for money when there are mechanoids, manhunters and raiders always coming to kill them.

You are absolutely right, but there is a reason why you can have more than one colony in the world right now but have to enable it via option menu, because the dev plan on allowing people to have more than one colony, you know, if you are staying here, and for quite a while might as well enjoy it, like how one of my pawn decided to drink beer as the last pawn left while bleeding to death.

Allow the pawn to do anything as realistic as real life, because I tell you the point is to simulate what it's like to be stuck in a planet with almost nothing at hand, it's to test if a similar thing happen, is it possible for your to command a colony to survive. They could be greedy, and take a lot of silver, but, that's the point to a game like rimworld, to see if you can deal of things that happens there, that would normally happen in real life, while being in your own room, chilling.

Third_Of_Five

Again as I said on another post, colonists are on the Rimworld to survive and get off, they are not there to make a living.

I thought the whole point of the game was that that's up to the player to decide.
Survival might be paramount during the early game, but late game, who's to say that the player can't decide to keep his colonists on the planet and build their own colonial empire? Say what you want about the lore, but ultimately, the colonists are not there to "survive and get off", they are there to do whatever the player wants them to do.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Third_Of_Five on December 05, 2017, 02:58:39 PM
Again as I said on another post, colonists are on the Rimworld to survive and get off, they are not there to make a living.

I thought the whole point of the game was that that's up to the player to decide.
Survival might be paramount during the early game, but late game, who's to say that the player can't decide to keep his colonists on the planet and build their own colonial empire? Say what you want about the lore, but ultimately, the colonists are not there to "survive and get off", they are there to do whatever the player wants them to do.

Exactly. I hardly thing that, say, the Tribals or Rich Explorer want to leave anytime soon, or the traders carrying around uranium and AI cores either, for that matter. If you want off the Rim, go ahead, but I like to think that a couple of mine wouldn't want to after falling in love with a local, finding their father and brother, and burying their best friend.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

doomdrvk

Quote from: Call me Arty on December 05, 2017, 03:25:59 PM
Exactly. I hardly thing that, say, the Tribals or Rich Explorer want to leave anytime soon, or the traders carrying around uranium and AI cores either, for that matter. If you want off the Rim, go ahead, but I like to think that a couple of mine wouldn't want to after falling in love with a local, finding their father and brother, and burying their best friend.
While you may what to stay the game doesn't allow you to as there is a point where your colony will die (unless you use debug which strays from the view of the developer) which is how Tynan has it designed.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: doomdrvk on December 05, 2017, 03:30:03 PM
While you may what to stay the game doesn't allow you to as there is a point where your colony will die (unless you use debug which strays from the view of the developer) which is how Tynan has it designed.

Unless you have a source I'm calling BS on that

h1tmanc

Even if that is the case, I've personally always played with longevity in mind, like creating your own colonial empire eventually, as someone else said, and as the game has evolved you can clearly see it is slowly moving in that direction too. Even if you look at alot of the popular mods you can see it's what the player base also wants, so eventually I think this game will cater to both playing styles, I wanna take over the planet I land on, have my own trading empire and maybe even have ships and go to other planets at some point, basically this game has endless possibilities that's why it's amazing.

So yeah, getting back on topic I think this could be a good idea, with abit more added to it.