We make bad suggestions and come up with horrible ideas.

Started by Eric, January 03, 2017, 11:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

And Invisible until they break out ..

Sorry Clyde .. we did not know you were allergic to potatoes ...
We would have grown something else ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

MattiP

Female pawns are afraid of rats and whenever one come too close they'll jump up on a chair and scream.

Elephants do that too, but they'll have special elephant chairs that uses more wood.

dv

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 01, 2017, 01:18:01 AM
Turn it into an MMO with every settlement being another player.

Make it a TURN BASED MMO.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: dv on March 02, 2017, 06:00:37 PM
Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 01, 2017, 01:18:01 AM
Turn it into an MMO with every settlement being another player.

Make it a TURN BASED MMO.
With sequential turns for each player.  Simultaneous execution has too many complications to be worthwhile.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Eric

A surprise "Spanish Inquisition" raid event that will happen when you least expect it.

Hans Lemurson

Rebalance the entire Heat/Light/Electricity/Growing systems to obey the conservation of energy!
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Eric

Tinfoil Hats: A special downgraded version of psychic foil helmets that don't actually do anything and give the wearer a "Paranoid about repitillian space aliens" mood debuff

Limdood

Mental breaks never end.  Once your mind is broken, there is no going back...

O Negative

Quote from: Limdood on March 07, 2017, 11:22:57 AM
Mental breaks never end.  Once your mind is broken, there is no going back...

This isn't vanilla? I guess I wouldn't know, becuase mentally broken colonists tend to get shot to death or starve to death, in my experiences :P

Jovus

Give people the 'Deadman's Apparel' mood debuff for wearing stuff made of human leather.

Aerial

Quote from: Jovus on March 07, 2017, 03:03:03 PM
Give people the 'Deadman's Apparel' mood debuff for wearing stuff made of human leather.

Wrong thread, dude.  This is the *bad* ideas thread  :P  That's actually a good idea.  Everyone but psychopaths/cannibals should get a debuff for wearing things made of human leather or sitting in chairs made of human leather.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Jovus

Quote from: Aerial on March 07, 2017, 03:11:34 PM

Wrong thread, dude.  This is the *bad* ideas thread  :P  That's actually a good idea.  Everyone but psychopaths/cannibals should get a debuff for wearing things made of human leather or sitting in chairs made of human leather.

I disagree. I want this game to be fun. Part of the fun in a game like this is playing with the traditions that have built up in the community. Destroying those traditions by changing the game is sometimes worth it, but it's not a trivial exercise. Even if those traditions revolve around 'abuse' or 'lack of realism'.

(Which isn't ultimately to say that it shouldn't be done, just that it's not obviously good. It would, in the short term, decrease enjoyment. I think.)

PetWolverine

Quote from: Jovus on March 07, 2017, 06:28:49 PM
Quote from: Aerial on March 07, 2017, 03:11:34 PM

I disagree. I want this game to be fun. Part of the fun in a game like this is playing with the traditions that have built up in the community. Destroying those traditions by changing the game is sometimes worth it, but it's not a trivial exercise. Even if those traditions revolve around 'abuse' or 'lack of realism'.

(Which isn't ultimately to say that it shouldn't be done, just that it's not obviously good. It would, in the short term, decrease enjoyment. I think.)

It wouldn't decrease my enjoyment. I've run a base where I butchered raiders for kibble, and I wouldn't want to remove the "We butchered humanlike" thought or the negative opinion the other colonists had of my psychopathic butcher; those were interesting to play around and made the game seem more believable. It would make sense to extend this to the leather since wearing something made of human skin is creepy, and unless the debuff is huge I don't think it will stop people from playing this way.

Thunasura

True Gamification

Rimworld now harnesses the players mind and/or computer.
Make rimworld design engineering or AI solutions.

I still have some possibilities for weak implementation.  They usually involve making very self contained systems (everyone loves a super fortified bunker) linked to the server or another on map colony the 2 share data.  This one relies on humanly understandable mechanics which are embedded within structures, creatures, pawns, and maybe even items.  The unhinged possibilities are many and deep, regardless of my current inability.

EVEN MORE UNHINGED:  Gamify gamification!  Design it to design more!  Hypothetically......... you could............ nearly... almost... somehow... get it to... expand its game play along a 'rimworld-style-gameplay' algorithm thingy...      ...     ...   to align to the real world task it will inevitably be doing.
---- Why do this instead of just gamifying a piece of it and calling it a day?  High efficiency, high knowledge, high technology.
How: What... am i supposed to answer this... my mind just quit on me.

Basically:  Imagine you start out, but rimworld only has 10 items and creature linked to algorithms.  It will begin testing/harnessing the player evolutionary or intelligently directed. Which makes it grow into the other items and creatures each having unique algorithms from the 'real world problem'.  A pig may be an oxygen atom (if we are doing nano/molecular engineering) or an AI trying to place that oxygen atom into a more potientially useful configuration.  *Insert more examples here*... Of course, eventually the servers would have enough gamified experience to have a full rimworld experience (perhaps, too little or too much also) and into all/most of the necessary algorithms for whatever it is actually doing.   Bla bla bla im not going to write any more.......

Notes; + Don't take any of the above to seriously.  I am starting to the thing Gamifying gamification is irrelevant as an algorithm or coder would work much better, but there are always plenty of arcane tricks within causality.
+ True gamification will require some internet and some sort of server.
+ This may all be a thing for the super massive Tgamified MMO's of the future, but rimworld is still better for it than the vast majority of games for a number of reasons.
+ If we crack an AI advancing version then we could partner with OpenAI or GoodAI, etc..
+ This idea is bad in as much as it is ridiculously massive and absurdly hypothetical/difficult... but, yes, it is a good idea generally.  Still ludicrous... probably better as a mod suggestion also... but it seems to ludicrous for that.  I'll move it on preference, but there really isn't a place where this could be taken seriously, barring extremely skilled programming masters.
The arcane exist, weld it and we will achieve works greater than that of the Japanese toilet!