New Race: Gnoll

Started by Tails7712, October 17, 2014, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tails7712

Quote from: RawCode on October 19, 2014, 04:55:04 AM
QuoteI think Pony would fit the game pretty well, they could be a genetically engineered disaster that ended up escaping and pillaging nearby villages/cities and creating a race that looks similar to the Pony that we all know....

And they escaped from Umbrestria and can turn anyone into pony on single bite!
Clearly, that is too underpowered for Rimworld, they need to have +10 to every skill in order to be truly great. Anyway, please contribute clear thoughts instead of snarky sarcasm. Thank you, I appreciate constructive criticism.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For everyone who cares, I will probably update the thread again today or tomorrow.

TankaaKumawani

I think the gnolls would be a good test concept for transcritters in general, although we should try to find a way to fit them into the setting in an organic manner.  While somewhat human, the transcritters still have differing mindsets than Baseline Bob.

"Gnolls" (trans-hyenas) are leftovers of vanity projects from glitterworld nerd "Mad Overlords" who wanted to fill their proving grounds with suitable monsters.  Unsatisfied by biomimic mechanoids, they turned to advanced genetic engineering methods to produce dungeon denizens.  The gnolls were a relative success, with the template seeing use beyond the glorified game board.  Crime syndicates used them as imposing enforcers.  Mercenary companies equipped them with machineguns.  They were even used for [CENSORED] and were apparently quite popular as such.

Inevitably there were issues with the enslavement of sophonts in some polities, and in others, former overlords grew tired of their underground domains of mystery, syndicates split, and merc company soldiers mutinied.  It was often decided to dump these and other surplus genetically engineered creatures on other, less sophisticated planets where they would be someone else's problem.  Many a pest guard can spin the woeful tale of their first encounter with a gnoll warband.

Of note is their highly competitive matriarchal society, emphasis on dominance relationships, and relative lack of pair-bonding between adults.  These characteristics are toned-down somewhat compared to their their non-uplifted brethren.

In-Game:
Gnolls are often found as neolithic tribals or middle age pre-industrial societies, but turn up as a small minority among more modern outlander towns and pirate, terrorist, or mercenary bands.  A handful may even be colonists or space refugees, attempting to start new lives unburdened by their past--or were shoved into a drop pod by rivals and left to die.

On average, they aren't as smart as baseline or nearbaseline humans, but are noticeably tougher.  Their mental break thresholds are somewhat worse, as they may revert to their original imprinting.  An unarmed colonist is not going to do well in the ensuing fistfight...

Tails7712

Quote from: TankaaKumawani on October 20, 2014, 02:53:00 PM
I think the gnolls would be a good test concept for transcritters in general, although we should try to find a way to fit them into the setting in an organic manner.  While somewhat human, the transcritters still have differing mindsets than Baseline Bob.

"Gnolls" (trans-hyenas) are leftovers of vanity projects from glitterworld nerd "Mad Overlords" who wanted to fill their proving grounds with suitable monsters.  Unsatisfied by biomimic mechanoids, they turned to advanced genetic engineering methods to produce dungeon denizens.  The gnolls were a relative success, with the template seeing use beyond the glorified game board.  Crime syndicates used them as imposing enforcers.  Mercenary companies equipped them with machineguns.  They were even used for [CENSORED] and were apparently quite popular as such.

Inevitably there were issues with the enslavement of sophonts in some polities, and in others, former overlords grew tired of their underground domains of mystery, syndicates split, and merc company soldiers mutinied.  It was often decided to dump these and other surplus genetically engineered creatures on other, less sophisticated planets where they would be someone else's problem.  Many a pest guard can spin the woeful tale of their first encounter with a gnoll warband.

Of note is their highly competitive matriarchal society, emphasis on dominance relationships, and relative lack of pair-bonding between adults.  These characteristics are toned-down somewhat compared to their their non-uplifted brethren.

In-Game:
Gnolls are often found as neolithic tribals or middle age pre-industrial societies, but turn up as a small minority among more modern outlander towns and pirate, terrorist, or mercenary bands.  A handful may even be colonists or space refugees, attempting to start new lives unburdened by their past--or were shoved into a drop pod by rivals and left to die.

On average, they aren't as smart as baseline or nearbaseline humans, but are noticeably tougher.  Their mental break thresholds are somewhat worse, as they may revert to their original imprinting.  An unarmed colonist is not going to do well in the ensuing fistfight...
That is a quite spectacular description. Do you mind if I use it in the original post? (With credit of course.)

Wex

This is something I would like to see in game. Let's hope Tynan changes his mind on "aliens", whatever he means.  :)
-edit- I understand this are not true aliens.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

TankaaKumawani

Seventy-Seven:  Sure.  I don't mind.

Wex:  Or at least the general concept of having GELFs running around.  On the other hand, it's probably a low-priority feature.

Tails7712

Quote from: TankaaKumawani on October 20, 2014, 10:00:41 PM
Seventy-Seven:  Sure.
Hmm, I am confused, are you replying to my question or are you talking about something else?

TankaaKumawani

Yes, I'm replying to your question.  You can use my summary as long as you provide attribution.

Tails7712

Quote from: TankaaKumawani on October 20, 2014, 10:08:49 PM
Yes, I'm replying to your question.  You can use my summary as long as you provide attribution.
Alright, thank you. I just wanted to make sure. :)

TrashMan

[quote author=Damien Hart link=topic=6953.msg68501#msg68501
Elves are easily explainable: a genetic engineering trend several centuries ago that causes the modern day (modern at the time of RimWorld, anyway) descendants to have the pointed ears, good looks etc. synonymus with Tolkien-esque elves. Combine that with a culture that venerates nature to a ridiculous degree and you have your typical DF style elf.
[/quote]

Even easier - a culture that venerates Tolkien and fantasy that also had access to high-tech genetic manipulation. They maniplated their bodies to look like elves and they even learned elvish and speak it exclusively.
Basically a planet full of a VERY dedicated LARPers

Or a planet of Otakus... but hte genetic alterations they wuold make are frightening to behold. Catgils I could stomach, but I'm worried what would come after that... loli's and tentacles.
(the irony is great, coming from an otaku)

TrashMan

Quote from: Mystic on October 18, 2014, 06:03:19 PM
My only comment: I enjoy Dungeons and Dragons-related fare at times, but would prefer to not see any of it creeping into RimWorld.

Space elves have been a staple of sci-fi for a loooong time actually.

And you'd love them...admit it!

Tails7712

Quote from: TrashMan on October 21, 2014, 02:59:07 PM
Quote from: Mystic on October 18, 2014, 06:03:19 PM
My only comment: I enjoy Dungeons and Dragons-related fare at times, but would prefer to not see any of it creeping into RimWorld.

Space elves have been a staple of sci-fi for a loooong time actually.

And you'd love them...admit it!

Ha, puny space elves, they wish they could match the greatness of the GNOLLS!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I added TankaaKumawani's post about Gnolls to the main thread. I'll work on more backstories next.

stefanstr

I would be rather unhappy if Tynan included any non-human intelligent race in the core game. I don't mind it being modded in (as in the zombie mod). But having to play with them all the time? No thanks.

Wex

You know what's better (by several magnitudes) than space elves..? SPACE ORKS!  ;D
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Evul

No alien races will be in the game. Except the one already existing.
This have been stated by the developer (Tynan) him self.

I will lock this thread.