Does anyone else miss being able to lock doors?

Started by NuclearStudent, October 07, 2015, 12:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NuclearStudent

I understand why it was done, from a balance point of view. Heat traps for visitors wasn't in Tynan's design philosophy.

However, it does bother me from an immersive point of view. I used to build all of my bases in a modular, interlocking fashion. Each time someone went berserk, I would roleplay as the base's security officer/malevolent guardian and seal off section by section. I'd even make a little whoop whoop noise with my mouth to initiate the sounds of alarm klaxons warning off one of the cyborgs in the colony going psycho.

Now? I pause, each time, and I can't really think of any in game justification that my colonists can't hold a door shut or install locks. It makes even less sense with autodoors, because it can't be justified at all that installing a proper lockdown system would be too much effort when I have the luxury of building motion sensor powered automatic doors.

The next best thing is keeping a pile of wooden planks next to every single door and having my colonists board up the doors when things go down. That's a crapton of micromanagement, though.

RemingtonRyder

In the slack yesterday we talked about basically keeping visitors out, unless there's an incapacitated guest who needs to be carried away.

Thorin

only obedient pawns obey "the law!"  8)

It would be nice to have the old lock back.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

rexx1888

i miss the old locks, but if they came back id like to see pawns have some behaviour implement for "i want to get in that room so bad i dont care if im rude" and behaviour for "oh shit, lock the door".

an hell, if we are gonna talk about doors, i want to be able to barricade things without the need to ghetto barricade with a wall :\

Shadowman

Would be nice to have a cop job you would setup some of your peeps to watch out for crazy attacks and use non deadly force to jail them until they are reformed.

JimmyAgnt007

Maybe just have visitors able to unlock doors when they want to leave.  That way we cant trap them (without building walls to block them). 

Spectre

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on October 07, 2015, 01:59:20 PM
Maybe just have visitors able to unlock doors when they want to leave.  That way we cant trap them (without building walls to block them).

I certainly think we should be able to lock the door but those trapped inside should eventually recognise they've been trapped by the colony (relationship decrease) and instead of just waiting to die they should pretty much immediately start trying to smash the door down the moment they recognise they've been trapped. This gives the player some time to spring any elaborately designed trap the player may have created and it hopefully stops the player 'harvesting' guests at no penalty.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

zandadoum

Quote from: NuclearStudent on October 07, 2015, 12:34:18 AM
I understand why it was done, from a balance point of view. Heat traps for visitors wasn't in Tynan's design philosophy.
Heat traps are still a thing, just need a backdoor to move in a colonist and close a door that was held open to allow enemies in.

so, if the lock doors was removed just because of that, it was a big fail and lazy fix.

i think it was more to avoid starving visitors to death with no negative effect and even so, it's a lazy fix. the fix could have been to have visitors break doors if needed.

i have a few closed doors (with disallow) and everything is dandy until some colonists or animal becomes dazed, goes into the disallowed room, becomes undazes and can't get out.

Jamini

I wouldn't mind if we could have colonists manually lock doors, like flipping a switch. A means to keep pets and berserk colonists contained would be nice.

The solution to visitors is simple in this instance: Implement the hospitality mod into the core game (So it's possible to passively raise your standing with another faction) and make a massive penalty for ANY deaths in your land. (I'm talking on the order of a 15-50 relationship loss, depending on the worth of the visitor killed).

Then all we need are trade ships being replaced by faction-related traders, and we're all set!

Protect and entertain your visitors, or lose your trade partners and deal with near-constant raids from your neighbors!

Wex

You know, having visitors tear down closed doors, could not be the best solution either.
Have you ever had a colony cutting the map in two? I mean, north to south or west to east?
So the only way to cross the map would be crossing one (or several) closed door.
Having to constantly reconstruct doors will make me pretty angry, pretty quickly.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

stranger080

Quote from: rexx1888 on October 07, 2015, 08:00:06 AM
i miss the old locks, but if they came back id like to see pawns have some behaviour implement for "i want to get in that room so bad i dont care if im rude" and behaviour for "oh shit, lock the door".

an hell, if we are gonna talk about doors, i want to be able to barricade things without the need to ghetto barricade with a wall :\
I agree completely with you

thestalkinghead

how about instead of a lock, just have an "don't use" button as a suggestion rather than a lock, also "no go" areas would be good, a bit like area restrictions, but the opposite, you could just make an area across the whole map that they are allowed to access except for specific points, but no go zones would be more convenient. 

Limdood

this thread is a month old.

also, the "invert" button on the zones lets you forbid super easily...make a zone of the area you want, hit invert, and boom, you have a zone that covers the whole map except that part.

thestalkinghead

Quote from: Limdood on November 11, 2015, 09:13:18 AM
this thread is a month old.

also, the "invert" button on the zones lets you forbid super easily...make a zone of the area you want, hit invert, and boom, you have a zone that covers the whole map except that part.

oh i will have to check that out, cheers, but still, an easy forbidden zone seems simpler

Duban

Quote from: Jamini on October 12, 2015, 04:30:36 PM
and make a massive penalty for ANY deaths in your land. (I'm talking on the order of a 15-50 relationship loss, depending on the worth of the visitor killed).

OH GOD NO! I'm playing a game on an ice sheet where the temperature goes from -40C to -110C. Visitors drop like flies, and I can't even rescue them because they just walk back out and freeze AGAIN! Hell, during winter nights it's dangerous to go outside long enough to even rescue them. The last thing I need is a relationship penalty and trade sanctions for dying visitors that are literally impossible to save.